Author Topic: 6 month old awake (WIDE awake) at 4 am, every night!  (Read 22547 times)

Offline MomofCharlie

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • Mmmm... jam!
Re: 6 month old awake (WIDE awake) at 4 am, every night!
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2007, 14:39:26 pm »
Thanks! First attempt at W2S: 1.5 hour nap!!! First one in a month. Maybe just coincidence... Will see. Hopefully will help NWs.

Offline momofclaire

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • No, I want to marry daddy!
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2007, 17:24:28 pm »
Great!  Keep us posted.
Myia
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/6/687/68748.png[/img]

Offline newmama12

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2007, 20:29:26 pm »
Mom of Charlie, Don't want to hijack your thread but my lo has been doing some very similar things as your lo during the night. (I posted a thread on this a little earlier today). She wakes to eat around 3am or so. She's hungry. Takes a full bf session. But then she won't go back to sleep, usually for 2-3 hours!  :o It's getting sooo out of hand and I am soo incredibly tired and very irritable with poor dh. What are you doing to help him sttn and then go back to sleep? My dd wants to go to sleep but whenever i put her back down (after rocking/holding her for a good 20 minutes) she wakes right up. Or within 5 mintues of me laying her down. She will fuss and then it'll be a full screaming fit until I go back in there and re-rock/hold her. We play this game for hours till she's finally so exhausted she doesn't wake when I put her down. Today's been awful. She's only napped for a total of 30 minutes and it's almost 4pm!  >:( Plus, she was up for 2.5 hours in the middle of the night. She's been doing this every night for 6 weeks straight. I have NO idea what to do. I am so at a loss. Please! Anyone!
~Cyndie
Mom to my Spirited DD (5) and Textbook DS (23 months) :)

Offline MomofCharlie

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • Mmmm... jam!
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2007, 21:39:52 pm »
Dear newmama12,
I know exactly what you're going through: we were there a couple of weeks ago. What's happening now is that he wakes only once in the night, takes a whole BF, then is going right back to sleep. Not sure what I can attribute it to, but the changes I've made are:
1. I'm using W2S to extend his naps, which had become only 30 to 45 minutes. W2S is working about 80% of the time, as long as I catch him before he wakes on his own, and is extending naps to about 1.5 hours, sometimes a bit more.
2. After I BF him, which I have to do all the way downstairs in our family room due to logistical reasons, he's not always asleep. I used to do the battle that you're doing. I now sing his bedtime/naptime song to him (same one all the time) on our way up the stairs, I hold him in the rocking chair (but not rocking) for about 4 minutes, then put him down in his crib. Not sure if it's this new way of putting him down that's working, or the better naps, but he'll fidget a bit, sometimes for up to 20 minutes, but no crying. So I hide at the doorway listening, and he drifts off. Some nights within 2 minutes, other nights it takes longer. But there is no screaming or crying.

As I said above, I don't know which thing has made this change, or maybe it's a developmental thing, but our nights have been peaceful ever since. Oh, I almost forgot: I eliminated his dream feed. Miya told me earlier in this thread that for some LOs, it disrupts them rather than helps them. It seems pretty clear to me that this was indeed the case with mine.

HTH... keep in touch. You're not hijacking! THat's what this is all for!

Allison

Offline newmama12

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2007, 01:15:33 am »
Thank you for the tips. Maybe I'll start trying W2S again. I tried it a couple times months ago but it never worked. She always woke up when I did it. She seems to be a very light sleeper, so I'm not so sure it'll work. She too has always taken 45 minute naps. I have to try and get in 3-4 during the day, otherwise, she's a royal crab. Occasionally, she'll do an hour nap, and on rare occasion 1.5 -2 hours. But normally, they're 45 minutes.

I really don't mind getting up to feed her during the night, but I really don't understand why she won't go back to sleep unless I hold her for hours. Plus, neither one of us really sleeps well when she sleeps on me, so I try and only do that as a last resort. She doesn't sleep more than an hour at a time when she sleeps on me. I mean..she's fully fed, dry diaper, etc. Last night she actually fell into a deep sleep after I fed her. I laid her down, she didn't even budge. I thought "wow!" things are changing. But then, 20 minutes later, there she goes...crying again. Then up for another 1.5 hours. She never use to do this so I'm quite at a loss as to what's going on. She's never been a great sleeper, but she was sttn until she got a cold 6 weeks ago. That messed up her sleeping rythms and ever since then we've had this issue. Her naps were still just 45 minutes and she was sttn. One other theory (per my pedi) is she's not getting enough calories during the day. She was 14lbs 4oz at her 6 month check up last week. Dr has me feeding her more often during the day and solids 2-3 times to help up her weight. Maybe that will help get her throught the night if she's not hungry. I don't know. All I know is that I'm at a breaking point and something has to be done to help all of us. :(
~Cyndie

Offline MomofCharlie

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • Mmmm... jam!
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2007, 12:55:19 pm »
I can "hear" in your posting that you're at your wit's end. I think having your LO sleep on you is the equivalent of what I was doing, which was bringing my LO into the spare bedroom and sleeping with him the rest of the night. I stopped cold turkey, and we had one miserable night, then they got better. Other moms on this site have kept telling me to sort out my DS's naps, and that everything else would come together. To be honest, I couldn't see how that would happen, but I have a suspicion that it's his consistently longer naps that have improved our nights.

I'm rather new at all this, so you might want to get some help from more experienced Whisperers, but the only advice I can give is to concentrate on the naps, maybe try W2S again. Go back to basics, observe naps for a couple of days to make sure you're going in at the right time. If your LO is a light sleeper, maybe just hte sound of her door opening will suffice. That's what does it sometimes for mine. I barely have to touch him, and I don't do it to the extent that his eyes open. He just stirs the slightest bit, and that does the trick. So go more lightly, once you establish the right time to go in. And if you have the fortitude to do it (which I didn't at first), stop letting her sleep on you at all.

It also helped me to go back and re-read the sections of Tracy's books (Secrets of the BW and BW Solves all your problems) pertaining to W2S, naps, night sleep, etc. It allowed me to take a step back and go back to basics.

Let us know how today/tonight go.

Miya or Bryony, do you have any advice for newmama12? Is what I've written above appropriate? I've never given advice on these boards before, just gladly accepted it.

Thanks,
Allison

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2007, 17:14:47 pm »
Allison, you advice is great, I totally agree.

Newmama, first of all, hugs.  I do think you should really work on daytime sleep as it is so strongly linked to nighttime sleep.  I also think allowing her to sleep on you and using props and accidental parenting only makes life harder for the two of you.  She needs to learn to sleep on her own. It's hard to be consistant but the more consistant you are the less time it will take to get things on track.
Myia

Offline newmama12

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2007, 17:28:29 pm »
Thanks everyone for the advice!

Last night was ok. She went to bed at 7:15ish. Woke at 11pm (which she rarely does). She cried and wouldn't go back to sleep for anything. So, we gave her a 4 ounce bottle which she gulped down like she was starving and then went to sleep within the hour. Woke again at 2am, couldn't rock her back to sleep and she was screaming. Gave her another 4 ounce bottle and she took the whole thing like she was hungry and went to sleep within the hour. Note: neither time did she wake back up and need me to rock her. Then up at 6:30am.

So, we have some theories here:
1. She really is hungry and wants to eat
2. The thing I did differently last night was not to bf her. I know...weird, but sometimes my bm bothers her tummy. I supplement, as well, and she's on Lactofree formula. Was that the issue?? Don't really know.
3. She's waking, not really hungry, but is eating to self-soothe

How do I re-teach her to soothe herself? She does rely on the pacifier, but we can't take that away now. One issue at a time or else she'll totally freak! She use to suck her thumb, but for some reason won't do it anymore. I think it's cause she's teething and when she puts her thumb in her mouth she just chews on it.
So, when she's having a fit in her bed if she can't find her pacifier(s) she gets even more upset. I know it's a prop, but at this time, I don't think we can part with it. She has always liked to suck on it since birth.

Today is going so-so. She went down for her morning nap on time, but woke herself at the 30 minute mark and she was up. I didn't even get a chance to try W2S...she woke herself up! Now she's been down for 30 minutes, so we'll see how it goes. Oh...she's moving...Let me see if she'll reset her clock herself! Be back soon!

~Cyndie

Offline MomofCharlie

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • Mmmm... jam!
« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2007, 17:45:33 pm »
Sorry, Myia, I just realized that I was spelling your name incorrectly  :-X

Allison

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2007, 00:09:00 am »
No worries!  You certainly aren't the only one.  ;)

Offline MomofCharlie

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • Mmmm... jam!
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2007, 23:38:22 pm »
I hope I'm not jinxing anything by writing this message... our NWs have vastly improved over the past 2 weeks. I've been working on extending naps with W2S: works sometimes, not others. I've eliminated the dreamfeed, and I feed my LO when he wakes, which is every night, sometime between 1 and 4:30 am. But I now put him straight back into his crib, and he goes to sleep peacefully til 7 or 7:30. No more bringing him into bed with me, and no more crying and crying before falling back to sleep (him, not me!). It's quite wonderful. Maybe he's just turned a corner developmentally, or maybe the combination of everything above has just come together nicely..

I do have one question, though: at what point does that night feeding become habit rather than necessity? As it is now, he takes an entire feeding, rather enthusiastically, so I know he's hungry. Plus, he hasn't eaten since about 7 pm, so it makes sense that he needs food. I don't mind the night feeding, but I don't want it to become a problem later...

Thanks!

Allison

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline Amandamom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2007, 02:57:32 am »
Allison--
I'm so glad to hear that things are getting better for you!!!  :D
--Amanda
Mommy to Ian, 12, Lila, 2 and Cara, born 11/10/09