Author Topic: Is it normal for him to still be sick with each burp??!!!  (Read 947 times)

Offline **Clare**

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 134
Is it normal for him to still be sick with each burp??!!!
« on: July 28, 2008, 09:47:58 am »
Finn is still bringing back milk every time we wind him, without exception! We wind him half way through, he burps once quickly followed by a second one which brings some milk back up.

He weighs 18lbs and drinks 7oz every 4 hours (4oz at DF) Sleeps through the night.  So I wouldnt say he was over fed despite his weight!!  :o :o

He also is starting to fuss alot with his milk and isnt finishing the feeds, not sure if thats related or not.

Any ideas?? :-\ :-\

Offline Purplecattypants

• Showing Appreciation 203
  • PANTS!!!
    • Facebook
Re: Is it normal for him to still be sick with each burp??!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 09:51:49 am »
Sounds a bit like reflux to me  :-\

Have you checked out the reflux board?  :-*
Angela

My homebirthed, hypnobirthed, waterbirthed everything. 27th Sept '07, 6lb 10oz. Proud to have breastfed for 19 months!

Offline **Clare**

• Showing Appreciation 134
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 09:53:45 am »
Eek! Seriously?!  :-[ :( Ill go look, never been there before... where should I start??

Offline *Nicola*

• Showing Appreciation 429
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 18:26:22 pm »
Clare if you are worried about reflux then the Reflux 101 sticky is the best place to start x

ETA:  Just seen you've been over there :)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 18:28:52 pm by *Nicola* »
Mummy to 2 beautiful kiddies. 

A baby is born from the dreams of your heart, and becomes the love of your life.

Offline worriermum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • baby boy blue
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 06:30:23 am »
Hi,
my lo does the same thing, but not every feed. He doesnt seem to be too fazed by the "spilling" (this is what its been referred to by manybooks), only on occasion will he grizzle a bit but then he's also brought up a good belch with it. He spills a bit during nappy changes too sometimes. He also can be fussy with feeds. I spoke with doctor, midwife & friends who have said its not reflux and that some babies are what they call 'spilly babies' apparently its to do with the valve at the top of their throat not closing properly? and that its something they'll grow out of as their body developes.
A friends lo was quite bad & she said that she always had to take a few extra cloths with her everywhere she went. Have a look at reflux & see what you think. my lo did display a few of the symptoms but seems to have gotten better - he's 8wks now.

all the best :)

Offline hayleysmum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 15:38:51 pm »
It definitely could be reflux or likewise protein intolerance is a possibility.  Reflux peaks around the 3-4 month period - has it been getting worse?  He could be a happy spitter (ie what he's bringing up isn't acidic and causing him pain)  In terms of it being an intolerance, what type of formula is he on?  If it's cow's milk based, try switching to a soy-based one for a week and see if there's any difference.  The only challenge is that around half (I think) of children who are intolerant to cow's milk are also soy intolerant.  If the fussiness is exclusive to his feeds, and you've tried soy-based milk with no success, the next option is to trial one of the hypoallergenic formulas like Neocate.  That's what I've had to use with both of my girls as they were intolerant to my breastmilk even when I followed a strict exclusion diet!
Mum to Hayley 29 Nov 05 and Philippa 14 Jan 08