Author Topic: When to introduce breakfast and other questions for 6 month old  (Read 1186 times)

Offline Tulip00

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
    • IVF in Europe
Hi Guys

Can you help? I have a few questions

1. Is his dinner time too late? only 30mins after eating baby rice he goes to sleep? is that enough time to digest?
2. When do I introduce breakfast?
3. I add formula as I am always out in the afternoon with him and BF is soooo hard when he gets distracted that I started formula and it works really well for us now.
4. When should we stop the dream feed?
5. We are always flying to ireland for a long weekend and I am worried about how to sterlise in a hotel and at a wedding and what to feed him?!

7am Wake & BF
9am Asleep for up to 2hrs
11am BF
12pm Veg x 2 cubes
1pm Sleep for 2 hrs
3pm formula bottle about 6-7oz
4.45pm Nap 20 mins in buggy
5.30pm Bath
6pm BF
7pm Baby rice with pear
7.30pm Asleep
10.30pm Dream feed 3oz formula

THANK YOU - I am so confused with this whole feeding thing. I know milk is the most important but when do you get to 3 milk feeds a day etc??  ???

Lucy xx
Tulip
IVF Babe born 23 Feb 08. 4yrs TTC.

Offline Freya'sMum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 71
  • 3 gorgeous girls!
Re: When to introduce breakfast and other questions for 6 month old
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 19:22:17 pm »
Hi Lucy, welcome!

How old is your lo?

Your routine looks pretty reasonable to me, I might bring teatime to just after his catnap and push his bath and bf to 30 mins later like this:

5.15pm(ish) baby rice & pear
6pm bath
7pm bf
7.30pm bed

but otherwise it looks just fine!

You can introduce breakfast whenever you think it won't decrease ds's milk intake - the idea is to maintain the pre-solids milk intake until 9 months or so, increasing the amount of solid foods as his appetite increases - if you notice when introducing solid foods that it decreases milk intake, you know you've offered too much - is a bit of trial and error balancing the 2 things really!

There are posts about how to drop the dreamfeed on the milk-feeding forums.

When we did a weekend away at a wedding, I bought some cold water sterilising tablets and packed a measuring jug in the suitcase, put the plug in the en suite sink and filled with the right amount of cold water for the sterilising tablet, dissolved the tablet, popped the feeding equipment in the sink - if your lo is over 6 months, then you only need to sterilse the bottle anyway, everything else can be washed up just with warm soapy water :)

Don't forget to check out the FAQ for this forum too - lots of useful info there :)

Enjoy your trip away! I'd just let ds sample some of what you're having at the wedding, baby-led weaning style (check out the FAQ) while you eat,

Ax
Alison x