Author Topic: How quickly does allergy show up?  (Read 2624 times)

Offline pastorT

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
How quickly does allergy show up?
« on: December 14, 2008, 05:25:17 am »
How quickly do signs of a food allergy show up?  I have a two week old ds and for the first week of his life he was very calm/easy-going, hardly cried.  Then at about 9 days old, he started having bouts of screaming in pain and grunting like I've never heard.  He went from pooping at every meal or so (he's EBF) to mainly pooping in his sleep when he's completely relaxed.  He'll have moments where he just pulls his knees to his chest and his belly is so bloated and he just grunts and nothing happens and then he cries really hard.  It's so painful to watch.

My 2 year old ds is allergic to MP but I can't remember exactly when his first symptoms showed up (we thought it was reflux at first...didn't diagnos until 4 months old).  Could it just be gas (I have a really fast let down and over abundance of milk and he gulps a lot) or would an allergy show up this early?  Any thoughts or suggestions would be so appreciated!

scarlettsmom

Re: How quickly does allergy show up?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 16:40:49 pm »
Hi there and (((hugs))) it's hard seeing them in pain (btw - CUUUUTTTEEE picture~!)

With us it showed up about 4 weeks - BUT I had eliminated all obvious dairy from birth and was only having hidden dairy.  I believe it can show up 7-10 days later though.  Regarding the OALD and over supply - we had the same issue, and fixing that around 3 weeks helped trememdously (i.e, block nursing, letting the let down off into a cloth then latching bub on). 

Honestly I would take out all obvious dairy since your ODS has a history and then trying to correct the OALD/oversupply and see how it goes from there.  It should take a week for the oald to balance out and if after that there are still issues take a look at all symptoms (i.e., any blood in stool, congestion, excema, etc etc).  Also - LOs are VERy gassy at this age normally - maybe take a look at your diet and remove gassy foods? 

I hope this helps a little!  Good luck, I'm sure some of the experts will be along soon for some information.  Congrats on your new LO!  :-*

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
Re: How quickly does allergy show up?
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 19:50:16 pm »
He is so cute. 

Same thing happened with us with my son.  I agree, I would remove all dairy, even hidden in my diet based on his own symptoms and that your other child has an allergy to milk. 

Hugs, Wendy
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!