Author Topic: 5 wks old crying during feeding....  (Read 17647 times)

Offline keren.r.y

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
5 wks old crying during feeding....
« on: March 24, 2009, 18:52:50 pm »
Hey :)

I'm Keren, new to this site and forum.
I'm from Israel, and even before i gave birth to my sweet son Liron, i read two of Tracy's books and they are a big help each and every day  8)

My son is crying during almost every feeding... I thought it's gas, and then i thought maybe reflux, and i switched to Enfamil A.R but he's still crying... sometimes just after a minute or two, and usually after half a bottle (60-70 cc)... he's crying but still trying to eat......

What can it be?
I tried faster nipples, and it didnt help, as well as different bottles... nothing helped... If it is gas, what can i do to calm him down? Almost every feeding is a battle and when its really bad, he cant finish the bottle and then he's hungry after a short time and all the schedule is ruined... :( (and of course i'm exhausted)

Thanx
Keren
On Feb 18th, 2009,  Liron's mom was born

Offline Archies mummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 40
  • My first, my last, my everything.
Re: 5 wks old crying during feeding....
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 19:02:27 pm »
It sounds like gas to me. At least my lo would cry and keep pulling off the bottle only to root for it again and it was gas. I just burped him during a feed and he fed better for a bit, then another burp. Infacol helped (not sure if you have it) sorry I can't be much help.
Sarah

Offline keren.r.y

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 20:19:30 pm »
well he burpes 3-4 times during the feeding....  so...
sometimes if he rests for 5 minutes it helps.... but not much, he's also very restless ....  :-X

Offline ~Emma~

• Showing Appreciation 221
  • And then there were 2.....
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 20:24:56 pm »
Just a thought on reflux. If it is reflux it may not be under control by purely dietary measures and although you are on a anti reflux formula the oesophagus may still need to heal if he has been refluxing...this can take several days.

There is a sticky on the reflux board (note to self- must learn to do link!!) listing symptoms. If it gas I agree with Archiesmummy that Infacol works a treat, you can also try gripe water.

Emma

Offline Archies mummy

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 11:53:35 am »
Seeing your post reminded me Emma, has your lo been checked for tongue tie Keren?
Sarah

Offline keren.r.y

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 18:45:43 pm »
thank you  for your answers...

he wasn't checked for tongue tie, what is a tongue tie? doesn't it make bf impossible? because i did bf him for about 2 wks before switching to formula and it was ok...

so what you're saying is that if he does suffer from reflux, it'll take a while to heal? I also started giving him "zantac", it's an anti-acid syrup..

btw, i'm new to this forum and to any non-hebrew forum... I dont know what "lo" is, i saw you're all calling your kids that.... what does "lo" stand for?

thank you :)

Offline Archies mummy

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 18:56:43 pm »
little one

tongue tie makes bf ing and bottle feeding more difficult. It's where the bit of skin holding the tongue down is too tight so lo cannot suck so well. Just a thought .....
Sarah

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 18:59:40 pm »
LO is little one - there is an abbreviation help section! Try this for help
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=51772.0

How long have you been giving the zantac for, how much does your LO weigh and what dose did the Dr prescribe? It is based on weight and can take up to 2 weeks to see a result. If he is sore from refluxing it can will take a while to heal and for him to realise it doesn't hurt to eat.

If you don't have infacol it is a safe medicine with simeticone as the active ingredient - you may have a local version of it.

Welcome to the boards by the way!

Laura

Offline keren.r.y

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 13:30:03 pm »
Thanx all :)

Laura, First time we went to the doctor about the reflux, he prescribed us Enfamil A.R (You cant buy Enfamil in Israel without prescription) and after a week we called, and told him it didn't get any better, and he prescribed us Zantac, 1 CC X 2, and we started giving him the syrup on Monday.... Liron weights 5 Kg (was 4 at birth)... I just want to say, that he never spat up a lot, and the doctor thinks that he's refluxing because of other symptoms ...

Also, some Friends told us he may suffer from stomach ache during and after feeding because of the lactose, and we're trying to feed him Similac Free... its not so good to switch formulas like that, but we have no choice... we have to figure out what's wrong... because once he starts crying its very difficult to feed him... and while in a calm feeding he finishes 160 CC easily, in these tough feedings he would only eat 80-90 CC .... and of course usually he keeps on crying for a while after he finishes eating :( It actually got worse in the past 3-4 days.... he starts crying sometimes after just a minute eating... :(

He also has sleeping issues and i suspect that once the feeding problem goes away, the sleeping problems would disappear...

About the Infacol, we gave him "Simicol", which had simeticone, and there was no change, and now we're using "Babyzim" .... he doesnt seem to suffer from gas much, axcept when he's eating....

Offline Archies mummy

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2009, 13:56:23 pm »
Yes if he struggles to feed in the day hunger may disrupt his sleep. I really hope you get to the bottom of the problem, sounds like you are doing your best. Poor lo.
Sarah

Offline arial

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 22:57:12 pm »
Just wondering how is little one now?  I have a 7 week old that cries a lot during feedings as well.  She does it even with breastmilk.  I really feel for you!  I am myself soooo tired.

Offline nataliya

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 02:04:34 am »
my baby is 5 months now, and she always had acid reflux and was fussy during meals. but now its getting beyond control. Doctor prescribed her zantac, and that did not help, then we switched to prevacid (which is stronger acid inhibitor), and she still soooooo fussy during meals... i feed her with expressed breast milk, so first i thought maybe its the taste that she does not like, but unfortunately she does the same with any formula.
she sleeps very well during the night (thanks to e.a.s.y.) but how can i make her eat??? she only eats 4 times a day, and still does not want to eat, refusing, screaming, so on. takes like 2 hours to feed her

Offline arial

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2009, 03:59:06 am »
Wow!  I really feel for you.  Is she gaining weight?  They say GERD gets better as they get older.

Mine is also taking a long time to feed  but she is very gassy.  I have called the pediatrician and she just started on Maalox.  I am not sure that it is going to help.  The pediatrician may send us to a gastroenterologist.

Have they checked her for dysphagia?  I was reading a posting about this.

Offline *Jo*

• Showing Appreciation 148
  • 3 wee monkeys and a Mamma
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2009, 02:14:14 am »
I was having this issue with my lo and it turned out to be cows milk protein intolerance and reflux... because we kept trying to feed him when he didnt want it (as it made his tummy upset) he developed a bad association with the bottle, he would only eat when he was sleepy (i figured this was because he wasnt "thinking" about the bottle. once we changed formula, changed meds and gently let him eat when he was ready, everything started to fall back into place and hes back into routine now with no screaming or crying with the bottle anymore (this did take an effort of me taking him to the hospital 3 days in a row to get some answers to find this out though, it wasnt easy!) this was only a week ago so can be easily fixed if this is your issue as well

good luck

Offline keren.r.y

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 10:27:47 am »
Hey guys.... you were a big help and now we're doing much better....
A week after I posted this, I decided to try and give him soy based formula (no milk at all) with rice cereal... And it worked like magic... the thing was... I didn't know which of these fixed the problem... the formula or the rice cereal... so he ate non-dairy formula for about 6 weeks, and then we heard that soy based formulas are no good as the sole nutrition  ... so the doc prescribed us with nutramigen... but I thought he would not agree to eat it, and I still wasn't sure if maybe the rice cereal by itself fixed the problem.... (plus Zantac...)... so despite what the doc  concluded, I decided to feed him with regular formula again... only with the rice cereal this time... it seems to work... he ate the non-dairy formula and the regular formula alternately for the last 4 days.... and everything seems to be ok.....

Some people told me that rice cereal is not good in such a young age (we started him on that when he was 6 weeks old...) but it didn't affect his bowel movement at all….

Only thing left to do is to fix his sleeping issue…  (crying when dropping the paci… bla bla bla :P)

THANK YOU!