Author Topic: Weight gain / Expressing / introducing formula advice please  (Read 2150 times)

Offline Canwi

• Retired GM and Mod still paying it forward
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 253
  • Me, in a picture
Re: Weight gain / Expressing / introducing formula advice please
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2009, 03:57:35 am »
Having read through your thread here, I'm wondering if your LO has a touch of reflux or Milk Protein Intolerance (= MPI) as well.

Refluxers often eat more at night when they are sleepy as they don't notice the pain.  Consequently they end up taking most of their calories at night, and their parents get little or no sleep.
IF that is the case, then you may be able to try some things that don't require a doctors input.  Have a read of
the http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=654.0 thread and see if there is anything there that you can try.

Actually I have never spoken to the docs about it, as just not convinced he has it, but yes maybe he does.
How will the docs know? How can they tell?
Most doctors diagnose reflux in adults and children by a description of symptoms.  There are some tests that can be done, but they are usually used to determine the severity of the reflux or to rule out other illnesses that mimic reflux.

The small volumes often and night eating can be a symptom of reflux.
They can also be a symptom of MPI.  This is like an allergic reaction of the gut to the protein in milk.  In some LO's it causes inflammation of their bowel & gives blood (in some only microscopic amounts) in the poop.  In some LO's it causes inflammation of their oesophagus and they act alot like reflux babies with food aversion/refusal.  Just like refluxers MPI babies eat small volumes and more when they are sleepy.
If you have moved to pretty much all bottles then you could try changing to a hypoallergenic formula.  Some mothers can only get these formulas by prescription.  Depends on where you live in the world.
If you are going to continue to BF, then you will need to cut ALL dairy out of your diet to be able to do a true test to see if he is MPI.

Hopefully there is some useful info in this.  Please ask if you want more info.  (((Hugs))) and hope you get some sleep soon.

8) I BFd a combined total of 4y, 1m & 1d

Offline Ernest's mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2009, 08:33:16 am »
Thanks Canwi
I guess I am stumped because he doesn't show so many of the 'usual' symptons,  - colic, gassy, fussy, or vomits during feedings.  He is also always happy lying on his mat and happy to go down on his back ...

He does however drool a lot and has done for weeks but most of the other symptons have gone (mainly I think attributed to being OT).

Yesterday he took 1 x 5oz feed, but then 4 hours later just took 2 oz.  Then at bed time he took a full BF, and then 5 oz at 10pm (he woke early).

He then woke at 3am and I fed him (BF for 5 mins) then he went through to 7am!!!  when I tried feeding, not hungry and so waited and he took 3 mins at 7.30.  Now I think my next big test is cutting out the 3am feed (yikes!) and seeing if that makes a difference.  However, it's still a bit odd isn't it that after 4 hours he only wants 2 oz. 

I know the doctor will just tell me that he is not a hungry baby and that I should stop fussing, in fact I can hear him now saying that.  I can cut out dairy but we would need to get the hyperA formula and I have looked it up - it costs a fortune... :-[

What a pain...I will of course visit the docs and I will also continue with the 4 hour feeding, do you think his tummy might just need to stretch more?

Now I have got rid of the 5am it's a step in the right direction...

Offline Ernest's mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2009, 08:52:20 am »
Hi again
Is this the same kind of thing?  I could just buy some over the counter and try it for a week?
http://www.smanutrition.co.uk/products/specialfeeds/lf/

He is currently on Aptimal and is never sick though and doesn't appear to have tummy ache etc, why i think the docs will tell me to go away.

They have just bought out a new gentle Aptimal version but it's not lactose free...
Many thanks!

Offline Canwi

• Retired GM and Mod still paying it forward
  • Showing Appreciation 253
  • Me, in a picture
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2009, 12:38:00 pm »
Typing and pumping - so sorry if this is disjointed.
So Lactose is a milk sugar.  Whey/casein is a milk protein.  Different things.
Am making an assumption you live in the UK.  So formulas to try: Nutramigen, any type of Soy formula, Alimentum, C&G Pepti/Pepti Jnr
Will type more later in the day when I have a moment at work - i hope.

8) I BFd a combined total of 4y, 1m & 1d

Offline Ernest's mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2009, 19:23:11 pm »
Thanks Canwi, yes in the UK - where you?

Funnily enough when i was out this afternoon, my DH did the 3pm feed and went back to use the Avent bottle / teat (i started Dr Browns a few days ago to see if it would help) - and apparently he took 6oz!

Anyway, lets see how the next few days go..

Thanks for all your help. I saw a Soya based formula in the shops today so that would be easy to try.

Can I ask you something else in case you know...  my LO has started waking early for his DF  - as early as 9.30 - what does that normally mean?  Not enough cals in the day?

xx

Offline A pair of Charlies

• Showing Appreciation 192
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2009, 21:42:36 pm »
Could mean not enough calories in the day, could mean that something is disturbing his sleep (heat, teething - even when you can't see them!, etc) and could be something in his EASY needing a tweak.

How are his days now? A rough EASY... and nights; you're resettling instead of giving that late morning feed (5am) but he hasn't increased how much he takes at the next feed? But very hungry at night? Just recapping here so it's easy for when we split the thread with EASY.  :)

TBH, I think you're making great progress here. Think maybe see how a few more days go, perhaps get yourself a doc appt made for a few days time just in case you don't see much improvement, that way you can tackle the possibilities of MPI and reflux quickly.

Think you're doing great  ;D

Offline Ernest's mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2009, 09:01:40 am »
Hi there
I just wanted to say thanks for all your help and guidance.  Things have got a lot better since we moved house.  My LO now has his own room and he has even STTN on several occasions.
All good!  Moving to the 4 hour EASY and encouraging him to settle himself did it... until the next issue!
THanks again.