Author Topic: The 18mo sleeping "blip" - help  (Read 996 times)

Offline _James_

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: May 28, 2009, 03:23:02 am »
Hi,

Before posting, I was trying to find some other posts about unexplained sleep changes at ~18mo. My DD is closer to 19mo, but as of 5 nights ago, she has decided that she no longer wants to go to sleep at night. It can take up to 2.5 hours for her to fall asleep. My DW and I have to go in several times to say goodnight again, give her a story, or a lovie. Everything was so great a week ago, and now its not! We are at a loss for the source of this sleep change.

Her routine/sleep up to a week ago:

Wake 6:00a
Eat 7:00
Daycare: 8:30
Nap: 12:00 - 2:30 (3:00)
Home: 4:30p
Dinner: 5:45p
Bed: 7:00
Asleep 7:25p (now its 9:00)

She seems exhausted when we get home, but she just doesnt seem to want to sleep.
Nothing has changed so far as we can tell!

Does any one have any thoughts?

Thank you so very much.

J

Offline becky1969

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 230
  • my favorite thing
Re: The 18mo sleeping "blip" - help
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 15:18:46 pm »
in the routine you post in bed at 7, asleep at 7:25.  Did she fall alseep in 25 minutes? or do you mean that it's 9 now and she's *still* not asleep?

Also, have you seen any signs of teeth?
Owen, 12/28/05 7 lb 2 oz

Enjoying the toddler years!

Offline _James_

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 19:02:29 pm »
Thank for the reply!

Previously, we put in her bed at 7:00 and she would be asleep by 7:30 (it was great!).
Now, we put her in her bed at 7:00 and she is still playing/whining/fussing/playing at 9:00p.

We cant see any teeth, and she's not showing any other signs of teeth (drool, red cheeks, etc).

The only remaining thought I have is that it could be the room light. Its getting nice out, and it gets darker quite a bit later. Can this be the issue?

She is also waking up earlier and earlier too! This morning it was 5:30. Ugh.

Offline becky1969

• my favorite thing
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 21:18:03 pm »
The waking early could either be because sun is coming up earlier and/or because she's OT at bedtime from all that playing!  I think it's a given that you try blacking out her room better.  I just use a sheet over my son's window.  DH hates it, but it works!

The canines come in around 18 months and lots of parents see sleep disruptions at this age, long before there are the classic teething signs.  I probably would try giving her some motrin at bedtime and see if that helps.  Just give it a try.  If she settles earlier then you have your answer! If she doesn't, then we try something else.

Another possibility is too much daytime sleep.  She's getting 2.5-3 hours for her nap.  Some toddlers have a hard time falling asleep with that much day sleep in them.  So another option would be to wake her after 2 hours no matter what.  If you do that, then I'd have her IN BED by 7 at the latest.

The final possibility is that the teeth are making her more tired than normal.  The canines are the King Hell Teeth, lol.  Even with kids who don't normally have trouble sleeping during teething will often have problems when canines are coming in.  I don't know why, but teeth often make kids extra tired! For my son we had to make naps and bedtime 30 minutes earlier or he'd get OT and have NWs/EWs.  I think I'd try my other 2 suggestions first [a) meds at bed, b) limit nap to 2 hours] and then after 3 days on each of those solutions, I'd try an earlier bedtime.  So, instead of 4.5 hours of A time before bed I'd try 4 hours.  It's worth a shot.

Playing up at bedtime is a typical OT sign for toddlers.  A lot of parents make the mistake of making bedtime later when kids do this.  But with toddlers it's usually means time for an earlier bedtime.  Let's see if the first 2 suggestions work before trying earlier bedtime with your DD.  Unless something else strikes you in something I've said that seems more likely  -- you're the best judge as you are the expert on your kid!  ;D

Keep me posted! I'm sure I can come up with more ideas if these fail!  ;)
Owen, 12/28/05 7 lb 2 oz

Offline _James_

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 02:02:53 am »
Thanks becky,

We've installed some blackout curtains, given her meds, shortened the nap (she woke up after 2hr) and tried putting her down a bit earlier (6:30p).
We had 1 night of progress (only took 2 hours to fall asleep), 1 night of same, 1 night of OMG this is just terrible (screaming until 10:00).
We are on night 4, so lets see what happens.

A question if I may: how does one tell if "they" are OT or just not ready for bed?

Thanks again,

J

Offline becky1969

• my favorite thing
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 04:41:34 am »
Good question! It's sooooo hard to distinguish an OT toddler from one that needs to stretch a bit.  It's one of the reasons there are so many people on this board looking for answers, LOL! Parents first reaction to a child who takes forever to fall asleep is "Oh, they must not be tired.  Let's make bedtime later." And sometimes that *seems* to work at first b/c child falls asleep out of exhaustion.  But then, b/c they are OT, they will have several NWs or waking super early in the morning (usually 9-10 hours after gonig to bed).

Some more info please!

What is the timing of everything:  in other words, what time did she wake, when did she go down for nap (which you say was 2 hours) and then what time was bed (6:30?).  Let's see if we can tweak timing a bit more!  It sounds liek there's more work to do.  i want to look at the routine to see if timing is an issue, and if it's not then we're going to try something else.

What meds are you giving?
Owen, 12/28/05 7 lb 2 oz

Offline _James_

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 21:29:51 pm »
Hi becky,

Thanks for your reply. I am sorry that I havent responded until now. Seems like the notification-thing didnt work!

Anyways, all seems to have sorted itself out. I think it was a combination of teething,and too much light in the room. We also give her a story to read in bed and that works like magic. She asks for them by name now. Within 30 min she is out like a light.

Thanks for your guidance.
J.

Offline becky1969

• my favorite thing
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 21:45:10 pm »
Glad it's better!   :)
Owen, 12/28/05 7 lb 2 oz