Author Topic: Help!! 12mo hardly drinks anything after being ill.  (Read 1464 times)

Offline mokey_cat

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 19
Help!! 12mo hardly drinks anything after being ill.
« on: December 09, 2009, 21:50:20 pm »
My LO was in hospital last week for 4 days with a chest infection.  Since the moment we got home she has refused every bottle of milk.  If I persevere i can maybe get her to take an oz or 2 or last night she managed 5oz (but that was 5oz for the whole day!!).  I wouldnt worry so much as I can put milk in her food but she drinks very little else during the day.  She will have a few sips here and there of water, doesnt really like juice so I would say maybe 2-3oz of water in 1 day + 4 to 5oz of milk is average for us at the moment  :-\

Whats going on???  How can I encourage her to drink more.  She usually takes the milk in bottles but as soon as the teat goes near her mouth she fusses and wants down.  I have tried sippy cups but she will only take a few sips then throw it away even though she takes water from the sippy.

How much fluid does she need a day? She has dropped from drinking 15+oz to barely anything.

Does anyone have any advice?  Im getting very worried as the doc told me she needs fluids to help her recuperate.

TIA

Laura
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 22:10:57 pm by mokey_cat »

Offline lilisuze

• Showing Appreciation 46
Re: Help!! 12mo hardly drinks anything after being ill.
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 22:30:27 pm »
when did she come out of hospital? I had this issue for almost 10 days after my lo came out of hospital back in july. I was back and to to the doctors every day asking "when will someone help me, he is not eating/drinking anything".

Eventually he started up eating again after 10 days.

I think he was just shattered and even eating/drinking was too much hassle for him. If i was you, i would persever with offeering at your usual times, hopefully soon the eating will go back to normal. If it gets to the 2 week mark being out of hospital, get to see a doctor and explain the situation. But bear with it, your lo has been through a big ordeal with feeling crabby and all the hospital lights/poking etc. So hugs for you, its hard on mums too when lo's are ill!

Lili xx
Little dude (2008) spirited monkey boy
Little pink (2011) textbook princess

Offline mokey_cat

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 22:41:48 pm »
Thanks Lili!

She got out last Sunday so 10 days ago.  What age was your LO when he was in hospital?  Was he off food as well as fluids?  My LO will eat solid food reasonably well but refuses milk.  I keep thinking maybe she has been put off milk/bottles since she associated it with the hospital iykwim since I had to feed her so often there and she struggled to breathe when drinking.  Oh I hope you are right, Im want her to get better and back to her normal self.  She has very little wet nappies so I worry that she is getting dehydrated.

Would I be best to offer her more milk feeds in the hope she will take some?  She only gets 2 bottles so I could pop in another 1 and see if would take any but Im scared she will get a phobia of it  ::) since I tend to get a bit uptight and stressed when she refuses.

X

Offline lilisuze

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 07:36:59 am »
will she take milk in a beaker? its worth a try, offer anything. juice maybe (even if you dont normally!)

he was about 10m

Offline mokey_cat

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 09:40:46 am »
I gave her milk in a beaker this morning and she took 1.5 oz and that was with me having to put it up to her mouth every few minutes for her to take a few sips  ::)  and then she took another half oz with her breakfast.  I also offered her juice so I will see how she goes today.  She usually takes her water/juice from a beaker but wont take milk well from it, but she also seems to HATE a bottle now!!

X

Offline lilisuze

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 09:59:17 am »
maybe its just time to ditch the bottle!

Offline mokey_cat

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 12:53:04 pm »
Yep thats what I thought  ;).  I dropped the morning bottle and gave her milk in a beaker and she drank 4oz woohoo!!!  I reckon i will stick with the bedtime bottle for now as she does still take some.  My Health visitor advised to offer milk at breakfast and dinner so fingers crossed she takes to the beaker.

Thanks for the advice  ;D

Offline * Paula *

• Showing Appreciation 426
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 22:01:51 pm »
I hope you don't mind, but I am going to pop this over to Eating for Toddlers.
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007