Author Topic: 2wk old not feeding at night!!  (Read 1388 times)

Offline Vicku

• "There is no way to happiness -happiness IS the way"
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 171
2wk old not feeding at night!!
« on: November 26, 2009, 12:29:50 pm »
Not complaining about the extra unexpected sleep I'm getting, but my 2 week old DD is going 5-6 hrs at night without wanting to feed. The last feed is usually at 11 or 12 pm and then she won't feed again til 5 or 6 am :o I've woken up sometimes realising it's been 3 or 4 hrs and tried to feed her, but she's too sleepy. The one time I did undress har, change nappy etc to wake her up fully she did feed a little but was then unsettled and very fussy for an hr before going back to sleep so I've not done that again and she won't take a sort of df in her sleep either.
Is this ok??? Until Tue she was gaining weight fine and I'm having her weighed again tomorrow just to be sure, but even if she's fine with the long stretches, is this good for my breasts and my milk supply? Yesterday morning I woke with a blocked duct (have a thread about this already) and thinking it may be linked?? Mostly though I'm concerned about DD and my milk supply longterm.
Any advice?
"Very Proud Mummy Blessed with 3 Spirited Girls"
[url=http://daisypath.com][img]

I Breastfed DD1 9.5 months and DD2 21.5 months
"Babies don't sleep, they are only on charge"

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Re: 2wk old not feeding at night!!
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 12:42:13 pm »
Hmmm, tough one! I'd probably go ahead and pump at least enough to try and get things unblocked if she doesn't nurse. Might be a PITA to wake in the middle of the night to pump, but better than full-on mastitis. :-\ There's a GS around 3 weeks so this should be relatively short-term, I'd imagine, get your supply and her appetite right back up there. :)

Offline Vicku

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 20:45:27 pm »
Thanks Deb:-*
Yeah, I also expect it not to last. Maybe I should enjoy it while it lasts? LOL
Think I do have to pump before going to bed as don't feel 'emptied' at all after a feed. Was thinking I shouldn't pump as that will keep the extra supply up, but suppose she'll have a GS soon anyway and things will get more balanced. And need this duct tp unplug properly. It's really itchy now! :-X Can a plugged duct be itchy or would that be something else going on?

Offline deb

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 23:44:58 pm »
Itchy might be thrush..... antifungal cream if you've got some. If LO gets it then you'll both need treated, so keep an eye on her mouth for the telltale white patches, just in case. :-\

This was such a tricky time for me with both mine - but it got better with both mine too!  :-*

Offline Vicku

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 09:55:24 am »
Arggggh, I'm pretty sure I've got thrush now ::) >:(
Really itchy, red around nipple and nipple is getting pink and raw :-\ sometimes hurts to nurse and sympthoms are starting other side too.
Never had either blocked duct, mastitis or thrush with DD1... What do I do? See a doc?

oh, and she woke every 2 hrs last night... of course! ;)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 09:57:13 am by Vicku »

Offline deb

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 12:09:43 pm »
If it's full-on thrush - which I somehow managed to avoid with everything ELSE that went wrong with our BFing! LOL - I think there's something you get from the doc that you put on the nipple and swab inside LO's mouth to treat you both and keep you from passing it back and forth. Gentian violet maybe?

Yeah, I'd see a doc, or maybe a LC?

Offline shivi

• Showing Appreciation 177
  • cuddling with my monkeys!
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 12:42:48 pm »
oh biggest of big hugs Vick

never had thrush with either of mine but had blocked ducts too many times to count with E.
She also fed 11pm and then NEVER earlier than 3am, ever! But that was a 4 rather than 6 hr stretch. With O I was already using EBM for DF by 2 weeks so my breasts weren't getting stim from 7-8pm ish to 2am (he was a 2 and 5am waker in the early days for bf)....but he was a great feeder and never had a single breast issue with him till I went back to work at 4.5 mths and the pump wasn't draining me like him.

If you go to docs, I would ask as well for a high strength safe for bfeeding anti inflam as its the first and best route for me to avoid mastitis when I get blocked ducts with E. I use Ketonal Forte here....

haven't been on much at all lately, life and kids, and work getting in the way!

Siobhain xxx

Siobhain - Mammy to Oscar and Emma, forever spirited, currently bilingual and curly, formerly baldy, extended breastfeeders!

Offline Vicku

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 15:46:11 pm »
Thanks Deb and Shiv!
I've just been to see the baby clinic nurse and she said it's thrush but couldn't see any in Sienna's mouth, only on my nipples so far, and you can only actually see it on one of them but the other has gone itchy too a bit today so have to treat both with an anti-fungal cream I could get over the counter. She said to swab sienna's mouth with a mix of bicarbonate of soda and water after every feed too. I hope it helps quickly as I'm really itchy and uncomfortable. Feels like I want to scratch my nipples off! :-X
Sienna is doing really well weight wise, had put on 110g in 3 days! so she's obviously a very fast feeder and getting lots of milk in a short time so no need to worry about her which is great. I will ask a bf mod to lock this thread now as don't need two and not worried about the feeding anymore, and continue updating here about the 'girlies' if I need to: babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=160359.0

Thanks for your help! :-*