Author Topic: i just want to sleep more than 2 hours :((  (Read 1281 times)

Offline NADYA

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
i just want to sleep more than 2 hours :((
« on: March 06, 2010, 10:32:23 am »
hi all
today is our 5. day,
my only problem is night wakings for b'f
we started to make a routine.it's like this
9:30 wake up
E:10:30 solids ( fruit )
A:
S:12:00 ( before her naps was only 30 min .now they are getting longer .first day 40 min.3.day 1 hour and yesterday 1 h.15 min)
Y:
E :14:30 solids (vegetable)
A:
S:between 16-17   whenever she wants :((
Y:
E :21:30 solids (rice cereal)
A :
S :between 22-23:30 whenever she wants

between this hours ı b'f her

and she wakes 4-5 times during the night.ı tried to make pu-pd or shh-pat but could not make her sleep.
she cried,cried,cried...............
last night i started to make pu-pd at 10  and at 12 i had to b' her to make sleep.
before naps it's easy to make her sleep without b'f but before night sleep it' imposiple

I know that you will say her sleep time is too late.but ı dont want her to sleep at 7 .because my husband comes home at 7:30.and wants to spend some time with his baby.
so ı just need a big help about this night wakings.if i dont b'f her she never stops crying

thanks alot

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: i just want to sleep more than 2 hours :((
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 03:24:13 am »
how old is she?
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline NADYA

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 12:25:07 pm »
sorry.i forget to tell.
she is 6.5 months old

Offline lhosk

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 12:34:10 pm »
i know one of the ladies will be able to help you more than i.  but i was in your shoes a couple of weeks ago.  it took some long nights to straighten it out.  the good thing is that he knows how to fall asleep without breastfeeding since he does it during the day.
my pediatrician told me to cut down on the time of each feed which in theory would decrease their dependence on bfing and would eventually not wake.  i tried that (you may want to first) but it didnt work for me.  so, i had to go with a minimum time in between feeds.  bad news is that it took a couple of weeks of lots of crying.  i stayed with him and did modified shh/pat (patted and sang a lullaby).  the good news is that he now sleeps from 600 to 930 (i feed 8 min) and again at 330 and up for the morning at 6.  so it is now only 2 times per night.  i cant seem to get him to reliquish that 330 feed.  he is 6 months old now so they are similar in age.
that is my experience...someone else may be able to add some better insight...

Offline lhosk

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 12:38:52 pm »
just to explain.  when i tried the decreasing time (it would have been so much smoother had it worked) he started waking up even more frequently.  so we went from waking 4-5 times per night to 7-9 times.  but you may want to give that a go since there would be less crying involved.  the minimum time in between feeds is that i noted how long he was going in between feeds and started with the shortest time and lengthened that 30 min every couple of days.  that way he wasnt starving yet it was moving in a better direction. 

Offline NADYA

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 13:07:31 pm »
Ihosk thanks for your help.
will you please tell me what you did with a simple english:))
my english is not so good.
write me like you are writing a child:))))
i could not understand this part:

when i tried the decreasing time (it would have been so much smoother had it worked) he started waking up even more frequently.  so we went from waking 4-5 times per night to 7-9 times.  but you may want to give that a go since there would be less crying involved.  the minimum time in between feeds is that i noted how long he was going in between feeds and started with the shortest time and lengthened that 30 min every couple of days.  that way he wasnt starving yet it was moving in a better direction. 

sorry :)

Offline lhosk

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 13:31:44 pm »
no problem...  i was rambling.
at first i tried decreasing the length of the feed.  for instance, if he was bfing for 10 minutes, i would reduce it to 8 min for 3 nights then 6 min for 3 nights, etc.  if that would work for you it would be easiest on you and your lo.  eventually they would be getting no nutrition and would be easy to stop bfing when you get down to two minute feeds.  i tried that but when i made it to four min feeds he started waking up 8-9 times per night instead of the 3-4...  literally he would wake & i would feed him and he would wake back up in 40  min.  but that approach may work for you.  you might want to give it a try..

if not, i did the minimum time between feedings.  for instance, if he eats every 2 hours let him eat as long as he wants but gradually increase the length of time between feeds.  start with 2 hours (i think you said that is how often you are getting up) and increase to 2 1/2 for 1-3 nights then 3hours for 1-3 nights, then 3 1/2, etc.  i increased the length of time every night b/c i really needed sleep but you can do what you are comfortable with.   we did this when my husband was on vacation so he went in every time that i wasnt feeding him.  it helped me get a little sleep.  anyway, the first week was awful but we had him to two feeds by the end of the week.  the next week i just maintained that and found he was easier to pat/shhh at wake ups (he still woke up 4-5 times the second week) and last week was week 3 and he finally slept 6 1/2 hours and has done that for 3 nights in a row for the first time in 2 mths. i feel like a new person.  my husband was only able to help the first week but that was the worst by far. 

i used the modified pat/shhh when i wasnt feeding.  or you could use what you do in the daytime.  also make sure you increase bfing to 4 hours during the day...hope this helps!!!  it will get better... hugs!

Offline nollie

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • my boys
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 15:19:58 pm »
hi, sorry to barge in.. Nadya...i got the exact same problem .. my LO waking up every hour.. *sigh* tired and sleep deprived ... so i give in and ended up being a dummy ...

quick question to ihosk: when LO cried at night.. is he ...
a. screaming like crazy with tears and by the time you hug and rock him, he still crying or,
b. awake with a cry and when you hug he'll calmed down...

because im afraid LO have a gassy tummy rather than need boob to help him through his sleep cycle.. sometimes he screamed while passing gas.. and by the time he passed gas or burp.. he cried some more.. but the sound decrease and he started to calmed down..

i read in one of Tracy's interview that sucking reflect help baby to pass gas.. so kinda confuse what to do
nia

Offline NADYA

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 16:56:44 pm »
Ihosk
i b'f her 3 hours during the day.and sometimes 4 hours.
but at night things change
i will try again to make her sleep by shh-pat when she wakes up during the night
but i know she will resist this
but i can see this
before she was waking 6-7 times
but when i tried to do e.a.s.y she wakes 4-5 times
maybe it will go bette when the days pass

Offline lhosk

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 17:01:36 pm »
hi nollie,
it is more like b.  he is crying and i pick him up.  my lo is a spirited baby so the longer i wait the worse he gets.  but most people recommend staying away for the mantra cry..then doing your method of shhh/pat or pupd.

it may be gas in your case.  you could try some mylicon drops a couple hours before bed to help him pass gas and/or do bicycles before bed.  that may help....
some of the other ladies may have more suggestions too...

nadya,
how long do you bf each time he wakes??  try the first method of decreasing the time he bfs through the night that i described.  i know you are tired and that may work..  it is hard i know but you'll get through it....