Author Topic: Teething??? What do I d about this kid??  (Read 980 times)

Offline jazar31583

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Teething??? What do I d about this kid??
« on: July 09, 2010, 18:26:04 pm »
Ok, my nine month old is a healthy happy girl, and weighs about 21 pounds (was 9.10 at birth) and has been STTN since she was very young, minus the dreamfeed bottle. I have been in the process of decreasing her DF oz wise, got all the way down to 2 oz, and now she is waking up at like 3 or 4 every night, even though I am stuffing her full of food during the day (only as much as she wants of course) so I know that she doesn't need more food, but now even though I increased her DF bottle back to 4 oz, when she has her NW, she WILL NOT go back to sleep without taking a few ozs and getting some Motrin. If I just give her Motrin, she won;t go back to sleep and SCREAMS for a very long time until I go back and assist her... when she wakes up like this she isn't content to just let me snuggle and pet her either.... she has also just learned to pull up on top of the teething and I think that has made it worse. How do I get rid of this NW and go back to eliminating the DF???

Her Easy typically looks like
7AM Wake
7:15 Eat Solids (8oz)
7:30 A
9:00 Bottle with 6 oz and Sleep (but she is still awake when I put her down)
10:30 Wake up
11:00 Eat Solids 2-4 oz
11:15 A
1:00 6oz Bottle and Sleep
3:00 Wake up and bottle (4 to 6 oz).... just added this after the NW to try to fill her up more
5:00 Solids (8 oz)
6:00 Bath
7:00 8 oz Bottle and Bed
10:30 DF ... was down to 2 oz
DS #1 Zack 9/20/06
DS #2 Benjamin 12/9/07
DD      Mary Ellen 9/23/09

Offline jmd

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Teething??? What do I d about this kid??
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 03:45:38 am »
Hi there,

I believe 3 or 4 am they start coming out of a deep sleep and something is obviously not encouraging/allowing her to go back to sleep. Also around that time is when pain relief is often needed - so nurses tell me - something to do with the sleep rhythm. It could be pain with teeth, it could be the new activity she can do, it could be separation anxiety - have you had problems with that?, it could be that as she always has the bottle before bed she has learned to associate that with going to sleep. If you are confident it is not hunger - it does look like she is getting enough food - then I suggest not feeding her in the night. Have you trying PU/PD? Obviously if she needs pain relief then give it in conjunction. If you believe it is a habit the you could try W2S however if she is upset as she sounds it doesn't sound like a habit. Yet...!

You may wish to try finishing the solid feed with the bottle to perhaps remove the sleep association?

Good luck!