Author Topic: 4mo NW I think has become habit but how to break??  (Read 944 times)

Offline 1tamara1

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
4mo NW I think has become habit but how to break??
« on: July 10, 2010, 22:07:41 pm »
My DD used to be a great little sleeper, STTN at about 7 weeks. At 3 months she went through a growth spurt and started waking a couple of times per night. After this she then got a cold and was again waking a couple of nights, sometimes to feed, others because she had a blocked nose.

Now her cold has cleared and she is still waking around 4am and it's to feed. We've tried re-settling to mo avail and she normally has about 6 oz at this feed. It is worth noting that when she used to STTN she would wake at 6.30 and have about 11 oz, now at the first feed she is only having about 5. It's like she is having part of her morning feed earlier?

I don't know what to do to get her out of this habit, do we wait and see if she does it herself? She is only 4 hour easy and naps quite well, anything from 1.5 - 2 hours. She has a paci got naps but doesn't need it at night time. At night time she has her bath at 7.15 and last feed at 7.30, we have also tried the dream feed which hasn't worked so far.

Any help would be do greatly appreciated, my DH and I are I'll and can't get better because of the waking! Thank you

Offline Peek-a-boo

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 326
Re: 4mo NW I think has become habit but how to break??
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 22:31:58 pm »
Honestly, at this age, it's very rare for a LO to go a long night (11-12 hours) with no feeds--even being down to just one feed is on the unusual side.  Her not settling without the feed and taking a good amount makes it seem like it's genuine hunger.  Personally, I wouldn't fight it--just feed quickly, keeping the stimulation low for everyone and getting everyone settled back to sleep ASAP. 

I imagine it's frustrating because she was going longer at one point, but their needs change as they grow at different rates.  I honestly think if you try to eliminate this feed right now, it will probably cause more stress and less sleep for all of you.   :-\

Offline 1tamara1

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 4mo NW I think has become habit but how to break??
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 22:45:04 pm »
Ok thank you, I wasn't sure if it was normal at this age, but you right, because she was going for so long without feeds before, I figured she could go it again.she is having a lot less during the day now and making up for it at this feed at 4am. When she does wake at 4 it is very quick, she feeds and is straight back to sleep so I shouldn't complain too much :-)