Author Topic: Support thread for raising touchy babies - part 2  (Read 130264 times)

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Support thread for raising touchy babies - part 2
« Reply #210 on: September 23, 2011, 01:35:25 am »
Thanks Sara. Colby sleeps in a Moses basket in our room but We do use a waves white noise track when i put him down to sleep and he seems to like it. His crying during A time is mostly just grizzly probably from OT or not liking his position or who's holding him. Sometimes it is that no one is holding him. sometimes it's more grunting from the wind. I'll keep the trip round the house in mind. Ta.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #211 on: September 23, 2011, 06:53:38 am »
Sometimes it is that no one is holding him.
awww believe it or not I miss that now! During his A times Z only wants lots of relaxed cuddles when he is sick or teething. Otherwise its clingy wriggly cuddles ::)
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #212 on: September 23, 2011, 17:03:03 pm »
I do believe it and I love cuddling him and smelling his little head. It's just sometimes I need to cook or sort Cadan out etc. I always pick him up or bounce him in the bouncer etc. if he cries BTW. Don't want it to sound like I'm leaving him to cry for his A time. Cadan isn't into cuddles either now. I only really get them when I BF him morning and at BT or very occasionally if he sits with me to watch a TV show.

Offline Ima shel Alon

• Showing Appreciation 204
  • Alon was once a tiny baby
« Reply #213 on: September 23, 2011, 18:02:10 pm »
I so agree with Sara.
For us the touchiness was also related to OT, and now when sleep is more settled it gets much easier.
A was never touchy to light or noise, but when he was so little he didn't like people much and as Sara said he was (and still is) very sensitive to how I was in myself.
Being out has helped a lot and sometimes is was the only thing that would calm him down.
My journey of making 1000 goodies using unrefined sugar: http://1000crumbs.com/

Offline Lissie

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #214 on: September 27, 2011, 20:54:14 pm »
...can babies be Touchy in one or two areas but not all? Sian is a text book baby in most ways I think - took to weaning very well - loves new flavours, happy to go to strangers if she's prepared by me, and she thrives on knowing whats coming next. Shes actually quite relaxed if her routines are in place...it was fairly easy to put her on the E & A parts of EASY - once her feeding body clock was set it took a week to shift her from hourly snacking to 4 hourly.

BUT when it comes to sleep she is a different child - very easily disturbed, a bang or click will make her scream, as will being touched. She hates too much light in her room, needs white noise. Her OT crying is something else - it sounds like someone is torturing the poor girl!...the most horrible high pitched squeeling - far worse than her pain cry! Its like someone has stolen my calm little smiler and planted a totally different child in the cot. :( She so rarley cries properly - but it haapens all the time when she naps in the day - always a battle to calm and settle her down, then a battle to keep her asleep x

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #215 on: September 27, 2011, 22:36:17 pm »
...can babies be Touchy in one or two areas but not all?
Yup. Z is a touchy as sleeper and with new people/things. He is my very cautious wee man. But in other areas he is very determined and spirited. I think with touchies too the routine in place really helps them to be 'less' touchy. Z thrives on consistancy, so much so that with it he is a lot less touchy.
***Sara***

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #216 on: September 27, 2011, 23:20:33 pm »
Yes it definitely says in the book that touchies thrive on consistency and knowing what to expect.

Offline Lissie

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #217 on: September 28, 2011, 09:25:51 am »
Is that awful OT crying typically of a Touchy baby? Ive never heard another baby do it...so upsetting to hear.

Sleep much better for 1st nap with HTTJ - went down at 9.15, its 10.24 and and she's still alseep!! YAY...hopefully have a happier baby today as I cant really make her A time much more low key without her doing absolutley nothing lol!

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #218 on: October 15, 2011, 08:14:25 am »
lissie sorry for the delay. Colby also cries lots when OT and it's really heart breaking. Luckily he stops as soon as i put him in his woombie with his soother and white noise. Sometimes he spits the soother out and cries but normally stops again if i pat or hold my hand on him and replug.

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #219 on: October 15, 2011, 08:26:26 am »
I agree, when zac was smaller once he was ot he would get so wound up and very upset heartbreaking crying...no whimpers here ::) but on the upside now he is a lovely sensitive toddler and other than this and cautiousness he has outgrwn a lot of the touchiness.
***Sara***

Offline Ima shel Alon

• Showing Appreciation 204
  • Alon was once a tiny baby
« Reply #220 on: October 15, 2011, 09:34:48 am »
Sara, just saw that Zac was one day old yesterday!!! Happy birthday to him, you all must have been so excited. I remember you were asking for advice how to celebrate it (with him being touchy) and am wondering how did it all go.
My journey of making 1000 goodies using unrefined sugar: http://1000crumbs.com/

Offline shirat

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #221 on: October 23, 2011, 08:09:01 am »
still having no luck- any other advice????? she wakes after 30 minutes and wont go back to sleep, her bedtime takes over an hour and wakes a couple time during the night and then up for the day by 6/6:30! i tried increasing her activity time for 2 hours to 2:30 but still no difference! i am losing my mind! i am averaging 3 hours of sleep a night for 7 months! please someone help....

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #222 on: October 23, 2011, 08:14:40 am »
Thanks ima shal alon, we had a lovely birthday for Zac. We actually split it into 2. An afternoon early family BBQ from 3-7pm then then next sat a kiddie party from 2-5 both went so well, and both days zac was well rested for them. He was a lot less touchy than I thought he would be, and re the kiddie party I only invited friends and kids he knew not just that I knew IYKWIM.

Shirat, hugs. Have you posted on the main boards? Maybe try EASY or naps, you will get so many more eyes there :-*
***Sara***

Offline stevesmum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #223 on: November 21, 2011, 04:37:23 am »
Sorry to bother you ladies, but besides doing the quiz (which DH and I found rather applicable answers in every category  - a little bit of everything ABC!) would you say there are some DEFINITE 'I've got a touchy baby' characteristics??? Bub's 3mo+ and I'm curious after reading some of the posts here.
Thanks.

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #224 on: November 21, 2011, 08:04:04 am »
Yup my DS as a baby was a touchy sleeper, he had a small sleep window, gets OT easily and melts down. There is no whining, 0-100 all in one go so he will either settle, or scream! This did change as he grew older :D

He was also sensitive to noise, loud ones would frighten him, startle him or confuse him when young. Lots of stimulation, people or busy new places would make him guarded, or cry. He would be scared and cautious until he was eased into the situation. New people are the same.

Ummm that's all I can think of now! HTH
***Sara***