Author Topic: Support thread for raising touchy babies - part 2  (Read 129720 times)

Offline Ima shel Alon

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 204
  • Alon was once a tiny baby
Re: Support thread for raising touchy babies - part 2
« Reply #375 on: August 30, 2015, 10:30:58 am »
I am not sure what you mean by a background noise, but we downloaded a 20min white noise track and played it in a loop for DS1 for all his naps and at night time.
My journey of making 1000 goodies using unrefined sugar: http://1000crumbs.com/

Offline Spl0ink

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #376 on: October 19, 2015, 18:15:10 pm »
Hello - can I reinvigorate this thread? I'm increasingly sure my 20 week old son is touchy. I read the description and found this thread whilst on holiday - I think I might have been too daunted to come on the holiday if I'd found out sooner!

My main concern with him is the speed and ease with which he becomes overstimulated. It can seem to be from the moment he wakes up, and lying on the floor looking around can be enough to whip him up into a frenzy, in which his eyes become wild and he is so consumed by trying to see everything that he whips his head back and forth. It's actually quite frightening to see.

His A time invariably consists of nothing at all as a result. We rarely go out. Toys seem like a big no no. Naps are another nightmare, but I am hoping they will improve once I can nail the timing of his A time and actually come up with some ideas for how to spend it which won't completely frazzle him.

Any suggestions, examples of your A times, or any other observations on life with a touchy baby, all gratefully received! Thanks x

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #377 on: October 22, 2015, 18:06:26 pm »
Saw your SOS message elsewhere ;)

We used almost no toys at that age, I have to say. Definitely never anything that lit up or (eeeeek) made noises.  LO was really happy lying on the floor/rolling about in a quiet room watching the world going by, walking around with me (indoors or out) and looking at stuff, looking out the window, watching me fold laundry, or cook.  He loved to go to the shops - in the carrier!  In fact, my touchy love inspired me to get rid of the TV entirely and we haven't had one since (5 years ago now). I always talked him through everything we were doing, I think that helped him relax, maybe the sound of my voice? 

Getting the routine right was important for my touchy one, and he was pretty much in line with textbook times for his age.  The thing was he needed a long wind-down, and to start with patting while in the cot. 

Fire questions at me if you like :)  There's lots of info on the thread if you have time to read back.  As he got older, I read the Highly Sensitive Child by Elaine Aron, and it is him to a tee.  But I think Tracey was one of the few 'baby experts' to recognise such sensitivity in small babies.
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline Spl0ink

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #378 on: October 25, 2015, 13:26:00 pm »
Hi Weaver! Thanks for your answer. I have read through the thread and found it enlightening - lots of info that I definitely relate to. As a result I've ordered an ergo and am going to try just wandering around with him to see what we can see. I have a mai tie but as it has no hood or way to cover his head when he does get tired or over cooked, he invariably ended up screaming his head off in it, so I stopped using it. I'm actually very excited about it as we have basically been housebound for the last two months. I will take it slowly and report back! Thanks again.

Offline Spl0ink

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #379 on: October 29, 2015, 16:41:14 pm »
Hi Weaver. I have got some questions for you, if that's ok. Can you tell me what your wind down consisted of  and how you encouraged independent sleep?

As he gets older and more alert, my son needs more help from me to get to sleep, not less. Actually, I feel right now like we're beyond me being able to help him. I've been trying to get him to sleep for the last hour and I know he's now completely over tired and frazzled but he's still awake, moaning in his cot.

Shush pat seems to ramp him up. My husband tried pick up put down with him once and I'm so utterly convinced that it's completely the wrong approach for him that I swore we couldn't do that again. All that has worked previously is putting him either asleep or so close to the brink that he goes down himself, but he's now so alert and overstimulated that if I put him down asleep,  he wakes myself up and starts crying. Very low level crying, but he is unable to put himself back down. I could cry myself. Nothing seems to work anymore.

Offline Desperateforsleep123

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #380 on: January 17, 2016, 16:18:13 pm »
Hi,
New to this site, I have a two and half month old baby, and am pretty sure she is a touchy child. She hates being dressed undressed, getting in to the car seat, out of the bath. She also screams a lot and becomes inconsolable if she is not responded to right away.  She is not comforted by breastfeeding and will scream even louder if I try that. Any advice to make transitions easier for her?

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #381 on: January 17, 2016, 16:22:07 pm »
Hello and welcome, that sounds v hard! Just want to check whether she has any medical issue? Reflux maybe? Something else with her digestion? Just wondering because you say she is not comforted by feeding. Back later when I have more time. :)
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #382 on: January 17, 2016, 23:26:23 pm »
She doesn't have any medical issues, was born full term and was 8 lb 1 ounce. She does often cry when she's done eating, but usually once she burps she is ok. Also she stops crying when I put her in the baby carrier, but that hurts my back so I don't like doing that. She also has no problem sleeping flat on her back. Her crying was getting better but then she got her shots so this week she been very cranky.
How can I tell if she has reflux?

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #383 on: January 19, 2016, 17:41:24 pm »
I am starting to hink she may have silent reflux actually...

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #384 on: January 21, 2016, 20:39:46 pm »
Have you checked out the reflux board?
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline stuckunderhere

• Showing Appreciation 2
    • Micah's FPIES Life
« Reply #385 on: February 15, 2016, 12:41:26 pm »
I'm joining in too with a 2mo old touchy little boy. This is all new for me. Both my other kids were spirited and I knew what they were demanding/needing. This lil guy, he confuses me... HELP! He also has reflux and some intolerances (gluten, dairy, soy) just like his brothers. But even eliminating those, he's still very ALL OVER. happy, not happy, tired, not tired, feeds are okay but he takes forever (like almost an hour and wants an hour or so later). We have no routine at all. What do I do?
~Sarah~
Proud mama bear to:

Samuel - 10
Elijah - 6
Micah - 3

Offline Tabathagucci

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #386 on: May 23, 2016, 16:08:31 pm »
Anyone here?  Need a wind down routine for a textbook/angel (I think?) bit touchy with sleep.  She's a reflux baby and super easy going but I think easily stimulated (although doesn't cry just gets excited and jerky).  She seems to go from fine one minute to super jerky and overexcited the next with an act as simple as trying to put her down when it gets within 30 mins of nap time.  I have a 4.5 year old so I can't keep her in a dark quiet room 30 minutes before nap!  I try to keep things mellow but it doesn't seem to ever work.  That and the same thing that works one time won't work the next and so on.  I just can't seem to get into a good routine with her.  I'm trying to put her down early so she has time to mellow out but maybe that's backfiring on me?