Author Topic: Support thread for raising touchy babies - part 2  (Read 129657 times)

Offline ZacsMumme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
Re: Support thread for raising touchy babies - part 2
« Reply #75 on: May 09, 2011, 18:42:47 pm »
same here sorry, longest trip we have dared take was a 3 hour drive! Planning a plane trip for next year when DS is over 18 months hehe
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline Ima shel Alon

• Showing Appreciation 204
  • Alon was once a tiny baby
« Reply #76 on: May 09, 2011, 19:58:42 pm »
You are all smarter than me :(
Didn't have a choice though.
We also need to drive on Sunday 4 hours (8 in total) to see the grand-grandmother who is dying and will never see the LO again... how am I suppose to fight that?
Family is so difficult...
My journey of making 1000 goodies using unrefined sugar: http://1000crumbs.com/

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #77 on: May 09, 2011, 20:55:39 pm »
You may find your LO sleeps most of the journey :) TBH though I was never a fan of the pacifier it has been brilliant for our DS for both his reflux and need to suck to soothe. We only usually use it for sleep now...but the other exception is the car...nothing worse than a crying baby in a confined space where you are limited to what you can do!!

You could try sitting in the back seat with your LO if that helps? We always put music on in the back too and we have a mirror that attaches to the seat headrest which our DS loves, he can see himself and we can see him through the rear view mirror.

hehe I wouldn't say smart...just haven't needed to travel really and knew that doing it for pleasure would end in no pleasure just stress!

You have to go - Sometimes we have to do these things, you would feel terrible if you didn't and your g-grandmother didn't get to see your bub, just feels so stressful at the time sometimes doesnt it!  :-*
***Sara***

Offline Ima shel Alon

« Reply #78 on: May 09, 2011, 21:01:56 pm »
Thanks for the ideas about the car journey, and the kind words!

Offline rachem615

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #79 on: May 14, 2011, 05:03:02 am »
I have a 3 week old that I'm trying to start understanding - he definitely seems to fall under the "Touchy baby" category. I notice that if I can get him down for a nap before he gets to be crying, he can fall asleep with only a few pat/sh's. BUT, if I miss the window, he is inconsolable and will only nap sporadically and jerks awake often, crying, and spends the entire nap time crying until it's time to eat again. Any advice for how to calm him down if I miss the window?

I'm also worried that having a touchy baby means I am chained to my house since I have to be so careful with his "window" - any advice there?

Offline clairebear79

• Claire
  • Showing Appreciation 49
  • My grown up boy! 12 months old
« Reply #80 on: May 14, 2011, 06:25:38 am »
Any advice for how to calm him down if I miss the window?
Swaddle, dummy & cuddle!!!!!!!  This is how I survived the first couple of months!!!!  Didn't swaddle at night as not recommended in UK but if he needed calming it worked like a charm.  DS has a really strong urge to suck & the dummy was invaluable.  We did have a stage at around 4-5 months where the dummy became a prop & we had to keep replugging during the night but at 7-8months he totally lost interest in it & we are now dummy free.

I'm also worried that having a touchy baby means I am chained to my house since I have to be so careful with his "window" - any advice there?
It can feel a bit like that sometimes but you really have to make time for yourself.  I do try & do errands/outings during A time wherever possible, but if you do have a day out, the best thing I find is to stay home the next day to make sure your LO catches up on any missed sleep.  I also always found a walk in the pram means my LO can get his nap & I get some fresh air - and this really helped make me feel better if I was having a tough day.

HTH.x

Offline Ima shel Alon

« Reply #81 on: May 14, 2011, 21:06:27 pm »
totally agree with Claire. Dummy, dummy, dummy. I sometimes feel like it helps him ''ignore'' the world, like the dummy stops the stimulation from coming in.
When you take him in the pram, make sure you put up this cover (don't know what the exact word for it), so he is not lying and starring at the ceiling or sky or whatever. They feel protected in the pram when this thingi is above them.

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #82 on: May 15, 2011, 00:14:30 am »
Totally agree too...Dummy saved us once DS would take it.
Regarding outings, start small and just after naps...maybe go with someone else you and your LO know (I used to go out with my mum.) Eventually they improve! Our DS now loves going out - just not all the attention on him or in his face...then he melts down.
***Sara***

tigerlilly905

« Reply #83 on: May 19, 2011, 16:10:19 pm »
About the outtings, the sling saved my life when Ds1 was little.  Everyone in the grocery store would always come up and try and "oogle" him if he was in the car seat or a stroller which would obviously end in a meltdown! So I started baby wearing whenever we went anywhere (having him face inwards).  It kept most people away and not so "in his face", and if there were ppl who wanted to see him I would just politely say "oh, he's trying to sleep" ;) (even though it was clearly "A" time) He was so content that way, and I think it made him feel so much more secure.

And missing the window, yup, swaddle is key, as is the paci.  Also, do u completely darken the room and/or use white noise? That's essential I think for a touchy baby.

Offline Kta400

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #84 on: May 20, 2011, 12:55:31 pm »
Does anyone else feel like their touchy LO is often frantic unsettled. I feel like my DS has about 30-45 minutes of A time that is somewhat calm (on a good day) and then he just becomes antsy with frantic movements. Anyone else see this? He just can't melt into anyones arms and relax...ever! Well, he does when we nurse but that is it. I feel so bad for him!
Katie

Offline Ima shel Alon

« Reply #85 on: May 20, 2011, 16:05:51 pm »
Oh yeah, tell me about it.
I always dreamed about a baby I could hold and will hug me back, would just put his head on my shoulder, ya know?
No way! He fights often when I hold him, it's rare that he is happy to be held and settle on us.
((Hugs)), I know how hard it is.

Offline MommaBrooke

• Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #86 on: May 20, 2011, 16:17:32 pm »
I thought it was my LOs spiritedness that made her fight cuddling, lol.  She definitely hates cuddles, kisses, anything of the sort.  She has started initiating cuddles though, she'll reach out for hugs or bury her head into us as a way of cuddling up to us.  DH tries to give her a hug and a kiss before he leaves for work and she just pushes him away...much easier to deal with and laugh at now that we know she will cuddle, but it just has to be on her terms :)

Offline Kta400

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #87 on: May 20, 2011, 17:35:55 pm »
Sigh.... I just wish he would feel more settled. I feel like we can only do an activity for 5-10 minutes tops before his arms and legs start to flail!

New question... has anyone tried weaning their touchy LO from the swaddle? My DS is 5 1/2 months (but born 4 weeks early so really 4 1/2) and we have swaddled him from the beginning. He just can't settle down to sleep without it! I am currently working on naps with one arm out. Sometimes I can get him to nap for his usual 30-40 minute nap like this but other time he gets so upset that I need to swaddle both arms in. I have read a lot about people putting their LO on side and then tucking in a sheet real tight. I can't imagine getting my guy to settle in the bed, then tuck a sheet in, and then keep him there! :) Any tips??
Katie

tigerlilly905

« Reply #88 on: May 21, 2011, 01:07:14 am »
New question... has anyone tried weaning their touchy LO from the swaddle? My DS is 5 1/2 months (but born 4 weeks early so really 4 1/2) and we have swaddled him from the beginning. He just can't settle down to sleep without it! I am currently working on naps with one arm out. Sometimes I can get him to nap for his usual 30-40 minute nap like this but other time he gets so upset that I need to swaddle both arms in. I have read a lot about people putting their LO on side and then tucking in a sheet real tight. I can't imagine getting my guy to settle in the bed, then tuck a sheet in, and then keep him there!  Any tips??

With Ds1 we did just what you're saying, put one arm out (the left, since he sucks he left thumb), and he slept on his side.  Then gradually we put both arms out until only his bottom half was swaddled.  Then we moved to using a sleep sack blanket (which he still uses, in a toddler size of course! ;)  Putting on his blanket is SUCH a part of his winddown routine, even when he was as young as 5-6 mths he knew it was sleep time when it was blanket time. 

Ultimately, Ds1 is a tummy sleeper, but I let him side sleep until he rolled over well on his own, at which point there was no stopping him ;)  Depending on how comfortable you are with tummy sleeping, perhaps you could try putting him on his tummy once the swaddle is weaned?  I find Ds1 feels more secure in that position. 

I've never tried tucking a sheet in though... so I'm not sure what to suggest on that one ???

Offline Kta400

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #89 on: May 22, 2011, 13:42:00 pm »
Thanks Tigerlilly! How did you place him on his side? Did you use some kind of wedge? Any particular one you recommend? I think he would really like sleeping on his side because he settles well when I put him on his side and pat his back.
Katie