Author Topic: I really need a bit of support or advice here with WIWO ladies...  (Read 1506 times)

Offline curlymop

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
So im struggling with my 15 month old on and off with sleep issues, lately its been just awful.  WIWO was successful for us and he started sleeping thru the night about a month ago for exactly 7 nights.  Amazing, first time in 8 months.  So I go away on an unavoidable weekend away leaving ds with dh and I come back the very first night and he's awake thru the night, from there it got worse refuses to go to bed.  These are long nw as well where that wasnt the case before.  Might be 1.5hrs maybe longer, wakes crying standing up in the cot... I feel completely on my own doing this as well as ds goes bananas if my dh walks into the room, he seem to just want me.  We do a 4.5 A time with 2hr nap (naps are gone a bit funny 2 actually) bed by 7pm.  Sometimes works sometimes doesnt.  And he can wake several time in the night but usually start around 11pmish, like he does 4hr sleep cycles or something cuase this could happen all night.  Oh help, I dont know what to do wth this anymore, I just feel like nothing I do is the right thing.  Im loosing my motivation and give in to just picking him up and cuddling him back to sleep which isnt solving anything.  Last time we did the WIWO he wasnt standing in cot so seemed easier somehow - what do i do with this bouncing up like a spring the minute I lie him down... sorry for the long post ... just venting a little bit...

Offline Tweakster

• Tweakster extraordinaire
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 444
Re: I really need a bit of support or advice here with WIWO ladies...
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 18:19:16 pm »
Hi there, here's more on WI/WO:
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=80750.0

I think the key with that method is consistency.  If they are old enough for WI/WO, then they will really set up bad habits if you give in and pick him up.  They will start to want that even more.  I know it's really hard.  Could you post his routine so we can take a look at your day?  Bedtime refusal can be for so many reasons.  Is he teething right now at all?
The tweaking never stops!

Offline katie80

• Showing Appreciation 220
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 18:33:12 pm »
Wendy's asked you great questions.  Routine issues and teething can play a *big* role in WIWO.  But I agree, consistency really is the key!  If you do things differently at this age, they'll really start to play around and see what will happen if . . .

I've done WIWO with my DD several times due to some accidental AP or getting back on track from illness or vacation.  Just the other night I had to go back to it, as we'd been on vacation a couple weeks ago and had a bit of a crazy week upon returning, so really not consistent with bedtime at all.  So, the first night of re-doing WIWO took upwards of 1.5 hrs, the second night 15 min, and the third she was back to going down without a peep.  It's almost harder to do it the second time around, because you've lost some of your initial resolve, but don't give up or it won't get better.  If you stay consistent and stick with it, I think he'll be back to independent sleep in no time as long as the routine works for what he needs. 

Offline curlymop

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 12:03:09 pm »
Hi girls thanks for your reply, I couldnt get onto the website for a few days for some reason.  He has defo been teething lately we have the arrival of 4 big molars poor little guy.  I understand what your saying alright, consistancy is the key.  Its got a little better now, I was having a really bad day last post.  Our routine is kinda all over the place at the moment as he was having disturbs naps waking with teething pains I think so resulted in earlier bedtimes etc.  I wasnt sure whether to battle on with WIWO when I knew he wasnt himself with teething so I gave it a break and will need to just tackle it head on over next few days as I think we are out of the worst of it with the teeth for the moment.  We usally have wake up anywhere between 7 and 8am do about 4.5 A time, 2 hr nap (on a good day) and perhaps 5hr A time and bed around 6.45 to 7pm.  Funny thing is he just slept thru the night for first time in weeks last night... and yesterday he only napped for 45 mins... strange, ill keep ye posted.  Thanks!

Offline Tweakster

• Tweakster extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 444
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 13:58:07 pm »
Hi there, I wouldn't tackle it when he's teething for sure.  It's not uncommon if they sleep a long night for them to lose a bit of a drive for a long nap in the daytime.  Really pays to just be flexible when teething, if he does a short nap aim for a second CN or an earlier bedtime.

When he's feeling better you could try bumping up that AM A time to 5 hrs and see if you can get a longer nap.  Sometimes 45 mins can be UT but given he's teething, not the time to change anything just yet :-)
The tweaking never stops!

Offline katie80

• Showing Appreciation 220
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 16:53:40 pm »
Couldn't agree more!  My DD's A times do drop a bit with teething and it's so hard to go through WIWO when you know they're not quite themselves.  Once you've got your resolve back, and he's done with the teeth, I bet it won't take much before he's sleeping better again.

Also agree on trying to bump the AM A to 5 hrs once you're back on track.  That would give you a more balanced day and hopefully help him STTN as well.  5 hrs A seems to be a really common time for that age at the beginning of one nap.

If the teeth and NWs are bad, he's also still at an age where he might go back to 2 naps (one as a CN and the other as a proper nap) if he seems pretty OT.  My DD did up until about 22 mo, but I know several LOs don't go back.  Just something to consider. . .