Author Topic: Tips to boost fat content in breast milk.  (Read 46474 times)

Offline Vicku

• "There is no way to happiness -happiness IS the way"
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 171
Re: Tips to boost fat content in breast milk.
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2010, 14:01:04 pm »
No worries, am just happy to be able to help :)

By the way your babies are absolutely gorgeous
;D thanks
"Very Proud Mummy Blessed with 3 Spirited Girls"
[url=http://daisypath.com][img]

I Breastfed DD1 9.5 months and DD2 21.5 months
"Babies don't sleep, they are only on charge"

Offline LizzieN

• Showing Appreciation 143
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2010, 11:22:36 am »
Hi lovelies,
Just wanted to update.  So I took C back to clinic after the two weeks of increasing her protein and fat intake in her solids, feeding her as much solids as she wants (basically) and also pumping 3x a day to get a bottle for her in the evening.....the GREAT news was that she had put on about 400grams in two weeks, which is more weight gain than she had done in the last couple of months :) phew....so I am continuing on in this trend hoping that it will keep boing going well.

She is still gaining and she is pooping much more frequently and not constipated/hard anymore, I'm wondering if it's because I have eliminated gluten also, she does seem less windy as a general rule!  Christmas was a bit tricky but my mum bless her wonderful soul made me a dairy, soy and gluten free Christmas pudding and it was AMAZINGLY delish!!!  Gotta love mums ;D

Just wanted to thank you all for your help,
smiles and smiles
xx

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2010, 14:14:52 pm »
Great news :)
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline Vicku

• "There is no way to happiness -happiness IS the way"
  • Showing Appreciation 171
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2010, 20:02:00 pm »
Great news Lizzie!!
Which solids have you focused on to increase the fat and protein? Just out of interest :)
"Very Proud Mummy Blessed with 3 Spirited Girls"
[url=http://daisypath.com][img]

I Breastfed DD1 9.5 months and DD2 21.5 months
"Babies don't sleep, they are only on charge"

Offline LizzieN

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2010, 00:15:45 am »
Vick she is eating EVERYTHING and I mean everything...it's crazy what that kid will put in her mouth (and wonderful)....she has meat protein (chicken, beef mince, christmas ham, lamb etc) and beans, tuna in canola oil, avocados a lot (for good fats), I do roasted veggies in olive oil tossed through quinoa (which we both love), she likes pasta with sauces so I try and add a bit of oil to those too...

I am getting RSI from all the pumping and it is a bit time consuming, but it's nice to give her a bottle in the evening and the last couple of nights she has gone through till 4am which has been blissful :)  long may it last

Thanks so much again, you have been so wonderful to me
xx

Offline my3girlsjde

• Sometimes a superpower is simply surviving the chaos.....
  • Showing Appreciation 115
  • Reflux, sleep apnea and food allergies
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2010, 03:02:47 am »
Lizzie - we struggled so much with weight gain with E and her fussy feeds that I just started feeding to sleep. You can do the diaper thing after if youreworried about independant sleep. I also dealt with horrible wind and found a product called Infacol (it has Simethicone in it).  In the evenings when E's gas is the worst, I give her a dose before her feed and then throughout the night just in case. It's made a huge difference. Feeding to sleep made for better feeds and she's gained so much more that way and the Infacol drastically cut the gas.
HTH
Vicki - nursing student and proud mother to three refluxers in two years

Remembering my sleeping angels: 17 Jan 06, 30 Jul 09

Offline LizzieN

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2010, 10:53:48 am »
Hey lovely,
thanks so much for the tips, strangely for us Infacol never did anything to reduce either DS or DDs wind, I think it's because they have had gut fermentation, perhaps because of gluten??? I'm not sure, but in any case being off the gluten really does seem to be helping DD for now and it's not all that difficult.

I did go through a stage with DD where I was feeding at the beginning of the A and then topping her up at the end, which was great for her weight gain but she went CRAZY with gas and couldn't sleep, night time went completely insane (and so did I)...so although I hate pumping all the time it really feels like the only option (as I don't want to give formula yet)..

I am so SO glad that E is gaining so well for you now, she is absolutely adorable too btw :)  You are one strong and amazing mummy xx

Hugs and thanks

Offline my3girlsjde

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2010, 15:29:44 pm »
Thanks hun :) You're too kind.

The other thing that really helped her wind was putting her on a probiotic. I forgot to bring it while we're travelling and I'm seeing a difference. Just a thought :)

Offline LizzieN

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2010, 23:09:33 pm »
I did put her one one a few weeks ago and at the same time she has some new foods and had a really windy shocking period with her again so I wasn't sure if it was the foods or the pb or what, so I pulled her off everything and she went back to normal almost instantly....I am reintroducing things soon to see what it was and if it's not the probiotic then I will def get her back onto it.  Thing is I couldn't really tell that it was truly dairy free, only lactose free and I'm not sure how sensitive she is etc so I may have to do some more digging and find a better one :)

Thanks again lovely, you really have had (and are still having) a battle with your little one aren't you??!!  Hugs to you
xx

Offline my3girlsjde

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2010, 00:25:48 am »
Big battle actually. She's gaining but still quite small and VERY refluxy as of late. So trying to eat the best foods to boost my milk without triggering reflux is just a miserable task :(

That's why I love being able to come on here and see all you fine ladies and share stories and tips. I'm sure we could write a book about our trials - or maybe we are lol.

Offline LizzieN

« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2010, 00:29:17 am »
LOL I think we are sweetie :) You aren't avoiding gluten are you?  Even if you arent' quinoa is amazingly nutritious and tossed through roasted pumpkin, sweet potato, carrots and onions that have caramelised in the pan is just yuuuuummmmm...I've run out at the moment and the store isn't open, I am missing it hugely!!  According to one of the mums on this post too it's very good for milk production!

So sorry that things are still so tough, small weight gains suck, are you adding lots of canola oils and avocado into her diet?
xx

Offline my3girlsjde

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2010, 00:47:08 am »
Haven't started either yet as we are travelling but I plan to once we get home. I'm not convinced wheat gluten is an issue (and I have my doubts about soy being all that serious too) but something every once in a while gets through kwim?

I'll have to try that pan fried idea when I get home from travelling. I need simple and I'm sure letting her snack on a piece of avacodo won't hurt either. I can't stand almonds and porridge is literally hard for me to swallow. What about homemade oatmeal cookies? I'm sure the naughty ingredients could be substituted. I also sneak oatmeal in any hamburger dish I cook and there's about 3 meals a week that get it. Almond milk I found here contains soy so that's out until I rule out soy being a big issue.