Author Topic: Pregnant and Breastfeeding/Tandem feeding Support Thread part 2  (Read 184673 times)

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Pregnant and Breastfeeding/Tandem feeding Support Thread part 2
« Reply #90 on: September 15, 2011, 19:06:28 pm »
Oh that's sneaky km. I love our sleepy snuggles first thing so don't wanna do Cadan's BF later really.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

tigerlilly905

« Reply #91 on: September 16, 2011, 19:49:15 pm »
I wish I had more advice to give. I'm quite engorged by morning, so Arthur takes a full feed from one breast and I pump the other. Charlie gets 2 bm feeds/day - one bottle as part of wind down for nap, and then nursing before bed. Charlie weaned the morning BF himself, so we just kept the mid-day and evening for BM.

I would try and nurse Caden after Colby if possible. 

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #92 on: September 16, 2011, 22:10:24 pm »
Thanks ladies. It's difficult because Colby feeds about 6.30 or 7am (one side only) then Cadan is up at 8 or 8.30 and has his morning BF (drains both breasts) while Colby is asleep again. But then Colby is up and wanting to feed again around 9.30 or 10am but the boobs haven't filled up again fully. Lately Colby is only having 1 NF at 3am so they are not used to supplying every 1.5hrs. It's not a major issue I don't think. Colby is tending to take the second side about 2 hours after the first  following that 10am feed but then he does a long nap and is back on feeding every 3-3.5hrs. I am actually pumping a bottle right now (It's 11pm) before I go to bed and I might see if DH wants to give it to Colby for his 10am feed tomorrow which is the one we have issue with. That should give me time to restock! Only problem is Cadan drained me at BT and it's taken me 30mins to pump 3oz. Took me about 6mins to do 5oz the other day so I need to pump in the mornings I think rather than now.

tigerlilly905

« Reply #93 on: September 17, 2011, 00:55:03 am »
But then Colby is up and wanting to feed again around 9.30 or 10am but the boobs haven't filled up again fully.

I'm not sure if you would want to do this, but have you tried giving Cadan breakfast first, then offering only one side. If Charlie wants to nurse any other time during the day besides BT, I always put him on the side Arthur drained first, kwim? So there's less milk there, but he does still get his suckling/cuddle time. I leave the other side off limits so it has time to fill for Arthurs next feed, iyswim?

It's hard to balance the needs of a baby and a toddler for sure. For me, after I've pumped the morning bottle for Charlie, anything after I make sure Arthur gets his fill first, then Charlie second.

Vicku, are you still around... thinking of you. Hope pregnancy is treating you well.. xo :-*

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #94 on: September 17, 2011, 03:08:33 am »
"boobies" is the first word out of Cadan's mouth when i go to to get him out the cot in the morning so he wouldn't happily wait until after breakfast no. Lol.

tigerlilly905

« Reply #95 on: September 19, 2011, 02:37:41 am »
LOL!! ;D How sweet!!

Offline Vicku

• "There is no way to happiness -happiness IS the way"
  • Showing Appreciation 171
« Reply #96 on: September 19, 2011, 11:28:04 am »
Hi girls,

I've meant to come on here to update for ages now... Updated on the Extended nursing thread a few days ago and meant to come straight here after that, but got interrupted... but here I am now.

I had a bit of a break from BW as I felt so ill PG wise (soooo sleepy, and then awful nausea and vomiting) As you can see from my signature Sienna is no longer a "booby kid" and we're no longer BF. It was a very gradual wean where she self-weaned due to my gradually decreasing supply that I'd talked to you all about before. Turned out there was nothing we could do to fight the pregnancy hormones, they just took over and the milk gradually got less and less. Felt sad :'( but I'm very glad it was as gradual as it was so I had time to adjust too. I would have really liked to continue for at least a while longer, but we just had to accept it and move on.... Towards the end she was only sucking for a few seconds at bedtime and am, then only in am, and for the last weeks she only got drops and the last week nothing but she kept still wanting to latch on so I let her. Didn't see any point in refusing it and knew it wouldn't last anyway so let her do it at her own pace. Then she finally lost interest when it was clear nothing was coming and it wasn't coming back either, and it's been a few weeks now since she latched on at all. I really wanted to get to two years at least, but I suppose we were only 2.5 mos short of that and I should be happy that we could BF for as long as we did. One bonus is that she's now finally STTN. Woke for a drink of water at night instead of the milk she used to have, and at the beginning she was having 6-7oz in one night :o She's now dropped that to the occasional sip of water if she wakes, but she takes care of it by herself so I do get much better sleep now. (PG nausea got a lot worse when we stopped though, no idea if this was related or not... a bit better again now TG). One of the reasons I kept going with night feeds was that I knew my supply was quite vulnerable. Had problems with supply with DD1 (and nowhere near the knowledge and support I have now about how to keep it up) and it was decreasing supply hand in hand with bottle preference that ended DD1's nursing at only 9.5 mos. So I'm very happy and proud that we got as far as we did, even if I'd prefered to carry on a bit longer. I'll try DD2 with a cup of pumped milk once baby#3 is here and see if she'll have it that way then. She doesn't like cow's milk or any other milk.

I'll be checking in from time to time to see how you're all going and to support any new PG and nursing mamas who may join too. It's lovely reading about your tandem feeding experiences (even though I have to admit I sometimes feel just a little jealous :-[ ;) )

Thank you all so so much for all the advice, encouragement and support you've given me here! :-* I hope to see you around.

Vicku

Oh and Rebecca, thanks for thinking of me sweetie!
Vicku, are you still around... thinking of you. Hope pregnancy is treating you well.. xo
"Very Proud Mummy Blessed with 3 Spirited Girls"
[url=http://daisypath.com][img]

I Breastfed DD1 9.5 months and DD2 21.5 months
"Babies don't sleep, they are only on charge"

tigerlilly905

« Reply #97 on: September 23, 2011, 02:02:30 am »
I'll try DD2 with a cup of pumped milk once baby#3 is here and see if she'll have it that way then. She doesn't like cow's milk or any other milk.

((hugs)) Vicku! You've done tremendous!! Just a thought. If you need BM for DD2 sice she won't drink any other milk, you could consider a milk donor(s).  There's plenty of Mama's willing to help who have extra milk that will just go down the drain.  It doesn't matter your situation, a younger nursling, or a older one... I used a few milk donors to get extra milk for Ds1 when my milk supply was down during pg. They were a God-send and we are all still friends to this day. It's a wonderful thing. Anyways, here's the local chapter in your area if you are interested in looking into it:  https://www.facebook.com/Hm4HbSwitzerland  :-*  I hope you're feeling better! xo

Offline Vicku

« Reply #98 on: September 25, 2011, 10:48:26 am »
Thanks Rebecca! I'd love to try donor milk but really didn't think it was possible here. I'll look into that link. :)

Offline Vicku

« Reply #99 on: September 25, 2011, 10:51:28 am »
Oops that's the page for Switzerland not Sweden ;) Can't make out a word lol. So can I search for a Sweden site/group then? I'm not a very good FB user :P

tigerlilly905

« Reply #100 on: September 25, 2011, 17:34:45 pm »
Oops that's the page for Switzerland not Sweden ;) Can't make out a word lol. So can I search for a Sweden site/group then? I'm not a very good FB user :P

HAHAHA!!! I'm so embarrassed! Sorry sweets!! Maybe the 2 were close to eachother and I clicked on the wrong link! :P ::) Here's their main website, you should be able to access a local group here:  http://www.hm4hb.com/communities.html   Just scroll down through the list. If you can't find it, you can message the main administrator here: http://www.hm4hb.com/contact.html  HtH :)

Offline Vicku

« Reply #101 on: September 25, 2011, 19:04:53 pm »
Thanks so much lovely! I will check that out :-*

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #102 on: October 15, 2011, 22:02:54 pm »
Thought I would share with you girls. I made the mistake of telling Cadan one night that Colby had just drunk all the milk from one breast (Cadan's favourite) so he would probably want to start with the other breast. He insisted on sticking with the empty one and then after a few seconds he came off and declared in a little sad voice "Milk gone! Colby drink!". So he swapped to the other side and was happy. Anyway since that day he often insists that Colby drank all the milk even when it's running out of his mouth as he speaks and dripping from my breast onto my stomach.  ::)

And BTW we seem to have found a balance with the morning BF and Colby is going 3hrs between feeds happily so is getting enough I assume. I am now sometimes able to distract Cadan from taking the second breast if it is nearing Colby's feed time.

Now Colby is getting bigger I am finding it really difficult to hold the two of them to feed at the same time even with my trusty feeding pillow. So I can often persuade Cadan to let Colby have a go first and then I pop Colby in the bouncy chair and let Cadan finish up. So I almost never feed at the same time now.

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #103 on: October 16, 2011, 18:37:15 pm »
Colby, you greedy little thing! Poor Cadan LOL.

I found the actual feeding them at the same time hard work even when B was small. Onle ever did a few times.

Offline maggie2

• Showing Appreciation 63
« Reply #104 on: November 19, 2011, 11:08:57 am »
Hi everyone  ;D

Thought I'd pop in here and ask a few questions - I'm currently nursing our 2 1/2 yo dd and am also 21 weeks preggers.  We really only nurse once or so a day - right before she goes to bed, but sometimes she'll want to if she's feeling sick or something, too.  Going along with the "don't offer, don't refuse" type deal. 

So two things - I don't think I"m making much milk at all - I actually tried hand-expressing a bit yesterday because it looked like dd had a red eye (milks are the best for pink eye :D) and it's basically colostrum I guess?  i never really went ahead and found out what happens when you're nursing and pregnant - like when the milk stops (if it does) and the colostrum kicks in, if the older child would have a chance to get all the colostrum before baby has a chance to (I'm guessing colostrum sticks around until the birth and hormones get the milk going again?)

The other thing is that I've started up with very sore nipples  :P  It was totally fine - even at the very beginning, but then once I hit about 18 weeks or so, it HURTS!  So that's another incentive for me not to offer and try to distract for daytime feedings:)

Okay - I had a third question then, too - what about 'nipple stimulation' and contractions?  I've been so cramp lately but it's more from activity and not from breastfeeding.  It just has me wondering as time goes on why the whole nipple stimulation thing isn't frowned upon because it could possibly lead to early labor?  Guessing that if the baby/body is not ready, it couldn't lead to true labor, but just a curiosity on my part.  I just don't want to get to a point where I all of a sudden need to stop abruptly.  I'm fine with potentially tandem nursing - although I'm picturing it being more like a curiosity on dd's part - don't plan to refuse her if she asks, which I"m expecting her to once she sees the baby nursing, but she'll also be almost 3 yo and that's about when I'd like to stop..

Any tips or good resources?

Thanks so much!!!