Author Topic: snack ideas for 2 year old  (Read 3777 times)

Offline firsttimemummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
snack ideas for 2 year old
« on: January 13, 2011, 14:49:40 pm »
DS eats so much that over the course of a day I struggle to find enough snacks for him, so looking for suggestions!  He is on a dairy free diet and can't eat carrots, citrus fruits, apples, berries (seems ok with cranberries) or soya (actually, most orange foods seem to upset his stomach!).

Currently he eats - rice cakes, corn cakes, oatcakes, breadsticks, plain crisps (salt n shake without the salt!), raisins, cranberries, Organix apple/orange bars (okay with these, somehow!!), Organix date/banana bars, pears, melon, as his main snacks (in between his large meals!!!).  His dad is the same - eats like a horse but is still tall and thin!!!

I also make him dairy free pancakes, muffins, etc when I get round to it. Suppose once LO2 arrives I will struggle even more to find the time to do this, apart from batch cookings when I get the motivation!

Ideally if anyone has suggestions that are non-fruit based as he does eat enough fruit/veg ...... would be really grateful (as I am writing this he is asking for more food - having just had a packet of crisps!!).  I am sure there are loads of things I could buy off the shelves but am just stuck in rut of giving him the same things.

I like him to eat healthily .... (even if I don't do it myself!!)

Thanks in advance :)

L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
Re: snack ideas for 2 year old
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 15:01:15 pm »
Will he snack on veggies? Raw broccoli, celery, etc? How is with grapes, cherries, prunes, and things like that?

I'm not sure if you're able to get cereals that are okay for him (I don't know the ingredients so not sure about dairy etc.) but DD loves cheerios, rice chex, things like that.

Granola bars (again not sure of ingredients or if you can make your own), mini bagels (I sometimes buy DD the ones with fruits/grains in them. He can have them plain or with jelly on them?)

You could probably make your own trail mix type of thing.

Can he do peanut butter?

I'm no good with allergies/intolerances, sorry.

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 15:07:59 pm »
I have a simple banana muffin recipe...can he have bananas?  Very wholesome, we make the mini ones and rthey are a great and portable snack!  We also like Van's waffles...cut into strips, these are a good snack as well. 

Offline firsttimemummy

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 15:59:38 pm »
Thanks - he does like some fruits, veg etc but I worry about giving him too much (he usually has soup for lunch, and various fruit/veg during the day) as he eats such large quantities, and his poos are always loose anyway (hence dairy free trial).

We have cereal in the house which DS loves to eat dry at breakfast time while getting his breakfast ready - hadn't thought of offering it as a snack! That's what I love about this site - not only something new, but something we always have in the house!!

AFraid don't get those waffles here (that I know of) but will try to remember to buy more bagels - DS loves them (and they are soya free!).  The banana muffin recipe would be good - if you have a chance to type it up?  DS loves bananas :)
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

Offline ~*Nicole*~

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 16:06:41 pm »
Pretty much anything can be a snack in my book ! DD used to love eating frozen spinach. Ewww

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 17:33:47 pm »
We LOVE the granola bars I posted in the recipe swap section. SO good and healthy!

Dry cereal is a big hit for snacks here too - he's into Puffins lately and Kashi Heart to Heart.

PB on toast? Raisin toast with butter or non-dairy "cream cheese" (tofu spread)?
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline RyansMum

• Showing Appreciation 138
  • Minecraft mad!
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 20:32:08 pm »
How about bagel crisps or tortilla crisps? You just bake them for a little while to crisp up and then could serve them with a dip like hummous?  Cereal with raisins?  School bars?  Home made banana bread or muffins?   

Offline firsttimemummy

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 08:25:32 am »
Thanks everyone for the ideas :) Nicole-Ava's Mum - you should be posting on the "what's the oddest thing your LO eats" thread too! Will actually see if DS likes frozen spinach!!, sure he will!!

Offline ~*Nicole*~

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 14:23:21 pm »
Hah!  I didn't even know there was a thread like that! LOL

I haven't given it to her in a long time so not sure if she still likes it.

Offline firsttimemummy

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 14:27:52 pm »
Here is the link (I hope!!)

http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=184992.msg2111207#msg2111207

Your ideas have got me thinking - also realised DS likes popcorn (homemade with hot air popcorn maker, nothing on it), homemade ice lollies (pureed fruit with Neocate/water), ....

hmm - he has just woken (must have heard my typing about his favourite subject) ... can't think of the others, but will add them later to see if it helps anyone else/gets people thinking of other ideas ....

Offline Me.and.my.two.boys

• Showing Appreciation 41
  • Me and my boys ❤️
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011, 20:35:58 pm »
ds loves banana muffins and bagels but im not great with allergies/intollarences either. sorry.
Kelly, mum of two amazing boys 2008 and 2012

Offline ~*Nicole*~

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2011, 20:38:07 pm »
Oh yeah, DD loves popcorn and ice pops. :)

Offline firsttimemummy

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2011, 08:48:39 am »
Slices of pitta bread, toasted ....