Author Topic: desperate for help  (Read 3102 times)

Offline Josie21

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • George & Sophia
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2011, 13:42:53 pm »
I think so, Martina. I'm briefing my DH up on the technique for tonight! ;)
Mind you, I feel like I'm doing a bit of a hybrid between WI/WO and GW. G was up since 6.20am and when I put him in his cot at 12.20pm, he got back up. 20mins later, he's still standing there. Not crying, just an occasional wimper. I thought he was too tired and felt I should go in and lie him down and put a hand on him. I did this and he was asleep by 12.45pm.
I hope I'm not doing a stupid thing by mixing the methods slightly?
Xxxx
George & Sophia born 22 March 2010 by elective c-section. Our beautiful miracles.

Offline ~inbalance~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2011, 13:49:45 pm »
I hope I'm not doing a stupid thing by mixing the methods slightly?
Not at all!  GW and WIWO are tools to help our LOs sleep better, but it's ok (and a good thing!) to adapt them appropriately to what works for your individual child and situation.  The most important thing is that however you do it, you are consistent.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline Josie21

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • George & Sophia
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2011, 14:32:12 pm »
Phew! Thanks. I just thought I may be creating another problem.
I suppose baby-whispering is about total personalisation to your own little one(s). :)
Xxxx
George & Sophia born 22 March 2010 by elective c-section. Our beautiful miracles.

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2011, 16:15:38 pm »
It is about following your baby.  And yes, sometimes that means bending the 'rules' a little bit to make it work.  We are so fortunate that Tracy has given us these tools to work with and helps us feel confident in our own parenting.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline Josie21

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • George & Sophia
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2011, 11:33:24 am »
A little update, after all your help.

I have found nighttime difficult to apply the WIWO as cries seem more real at night... However, last night, I decided to do better & DH agreed that he was happy to support me & didn't feel DS would wake twin DD in other room & if he did, DH would cope.
I put him in his cot at 7pm. He was asleep by half past. He woke at 3am & I went in as he sounded upset. He had pooped so I changed his nappy (he was going beserk on the changing table - I think he thought I'd put him straight back to bed), gave him Nurofen for teething & put him back down gently. I left the room and he drifted off.
Until 3.35am!  He woke again but I knew he was clean, had pain meds & the cry sounded more of a protest so, with my DH beside me, I waited & listened. I really felt I tuned into him well :) I also use counting. If I get to 10 & he has paused, I start counting again. It helps me recognise real crying. After 16mins, he was quiet & asleep.
45mins, he awoke again. I waited. He protest-cried, much quieter this time for 3mins, then fell asleep.
At 7.45am I went in as I thought I hear a movement. He was sitting in his cot & gave me a big smile and an excited squeak to see me. We had the best cuddle.
I've put him in his cot at noon amd can hear him snoring.
Thank you for the advice and support. I know I have a long way to go but I feel much stronger.
Hopefully, it will make be better-equipped when its his sister's turn next... ::)

Xxxx

Offline momtonb&ab

• Showing Appreciation 234
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2011, 12:49:33 pm »
Yay for you !!!

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2011, 18:22:58 pm »
I'm so glad you've seen some improvement!  Sounds like you are very in tuned and have found a good way of figuring him out.  That is what BW is all about!  Hope you continue to see progress.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline Josie21

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • George & Sophia
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2011, 11:28:14 am »
Thank you!
Actually, I have another question...
Last night was the 2nd of the "new me" and both times, DS has woken and sounded properly upset. So I have gone in both nights. The first, as I said, he had a dirty nappy, which I changed. Last night, I just gave him a cuddle for a couple of minutes then back in cot. On both occasions, he awoke within the hour and that's when it sounded like a protest so I didn't go in.
What I'm wondering is, is it typical for them to genuinely need you the 1st time or am I hearing "I need you" when its really a protest (though definitely not the first night)?
Am I stopping the method working by going in?
Hope my question/issue is clear!
Jo
Xxxx

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2011, 12:03:55 pm »
It's hard to say without hearing him, but mummy usually knows best!  So if you think he needed you, then he probably did.  It sounds to me like he might be in discomfort from teething.
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010