Author Topic: 10 month old wont eat  (Read 2455 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
10 month old wont eat
« on: June 20, 2011, 22:53:16 pm »
All my daughter will barely eat solids, she only wants the breast.

She'll sometimes eat plain ice cream cones, organic corn puffs and every night for dinner she has barely soup.

She use to have barely cereal, prunes, squash, crackers, apple sauce, chicken, watermelon, grapes and a few other things.

Now she wont try anything and if I can get something in her mouth she will gag or take it out with her hand.

I have to go back to work in 2 months and I am very stressed about what I am going to do with her. I am not going to pump for her when she is a year old. 

Her back story is that she had very bad reflux and is now on 7.5mg of prevacid a day.  The reflux is not bothering her.  We are going for allergy testing on Friday although I think she may just have intolerance's to cheese and strawberries and perhaps problems with eggs. 

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 01:51:16 am »
(((hugs))), Please try not to stress.  My DS1 was and still is very much like this.  One thing I have learned is that stressing about it really doesn't help the situation.  You do have to keep offering though.  Do you offer a lot of finger foods?  At this age a lot of LO's prefer the freedom to be able to feed themselves.

With the reflux, was she previously on a higher dose?  My DS2 has been on prevacid for reflux and 7.5mg/day is not a full dose for her age and probably for her weight.  It is possible that it is not controlling the reflux effectively.  DS2 was on 15mg/day until only very recently when we started to wean, and he is only now tolerating 7.5mg/day.

Definitely investigate the food intolerances further as they can be playing a role in why she is not interested in eating.  I would speak to a naturopath if you can.  I actually know a really good one in Toronto that I used to see when I lived there.  Let me know if you'd like her name.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline *Sandra*

• Showing Appreciation 4
Re: 10 month old wont eat
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 02:11:29 am »
Sorry, my 15 pound daughter is on 7.5 mg TWICE a day.  I think that that is a high dose.

I offer her everything and she just throws it on the floor.  My DS wasn't a big eater either but he would eat fruit at least.  I'm just so worried because I have to go back to work in a few months and I need her to be okay with someone else. 

I know someone who is a naturopath and she was suppose to recommend someone but hasn't. I would love the name of the one you used.  Where is she located?  I'm in thornhill.

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 02:21:57 am »
Ok, that makes more sense.  Yes, that is an appropriate dose for her and should be controlling the reflux effectively.

The ND I saw was at Yonge and Eglinton, not sure if that's too far for you.  Her name is Tammy Rampone from the Bosnar Centre for Health.  Here is their website and contact information:  http://www.bosnarhealth.com/main.php  I HIGHLY recommend all of the practitioners here.

This lady is also Toronto based (High Park area) and might be able to offer specialized nutritional advice:  http://www.sproutright.com/index.php

Funny enough some LO's are different when in other people's care, so you may find that she eats surprisingly better elsewhere.  Also 2mos is a long time away when it comes to kids, a lot can change before then.

(((hugs))) I do know how frustrating it is.  My DS2 has been a difficult eater as well but he does go through phases where he is worse at times.  Your LO might just be in a phase as well.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 06:48:13 am »
What kind of recipes have you tried?  Have you tried a BLW approach?  Do you eat with her?  Have you tried just putting her on your lap when you eat and letting her join in too?
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline *Sandra*

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 12:37:30 pm »
I have tried everything. I leave it on her tray. I let her sit on my lap. I put her on the floor and the food on a blanket. I try feeding her with a spoon, a fork, my hand.  I have tried every food I eat and my son eats plus anything else I can think of. 

She use to eat, not she stopped.  She's started throwing up a bit lately and hasn't done that in months.  The last two nights were bad, I'm starting to think that there is something else wrong.   :'(

Martina, I know it's a long time and I know she is sometimes better with other people and shockingly enough I am normally quite a relaxed mom but this has been going on for too long and I'm tired.  It's really starting to get to me.  I think I should start dropping her off with my mother in law (who will be watching her in September when I go back to work) to see how it goes. I'm having trouble letting go although I could really use the break.

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 15:30:14 pm »
More (((hugs)))

Is she teething right now?
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 16:53:29 pm »
Good point; how long has this been going on for?  Have you tried giving some pain meds 1 hour before lunch (might rule it out but obviously you can't do this every time.)
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline *Sandra*

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 18:12:44 pm »
I've tried tylenol.  It did nothing.  She is not drooling or chewing more than usual.

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 18:15:25 pm »
Have you tried ibuprofen?  I've usually found that more effective than tylenol.  Unfortunately meds aren't always effective though.  :(
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline *Sandra*

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 19:13:58 pm »
No, but I don't think it's teething.  Maybe I'll give it a try though, nothing else seems to be working.