Author Topic: Early Waking - please help!  (Read 808 times)

Offline peacefulwarrior

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 27, 2011, 19:24:12 pm »
I posted about my 27 month old daughters early waking and got very little response.  She started waking up at 5:45 a few weeks ago.  She used to wake up between 6:45 and 7:15.  The problem is that when she gets up she is really crabby all morning but if she wakes up that early nothing we do can get her back to sleep.
I started trying Wake to Sleep but have not been consistent since both my husband and I have to work in the morning and I have trouble falling back to sleep after I wake her at 4:45.  One day we did it she woke up at 6:15 (1/2 hour later than her early waking pattern) and another day she woke up at 5:45 still.
Last night I woke her up at 4:45 doing the Wake to Sleep method and she woke up for the morning!  It was such a nightmare.  She was screaming and yelling for us to get her out and saying she was awake for the day.  I feel sorry for her because I know it's not her fault - I can tell she's not trying to be rebellious, she just actually is totally wide awake.
Please help!
Monica
normal easy routine:
breakfast at 8, lunch at noon, nap 1:30-3:30, bedtime at 8

Offline Kay Dee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 19:40:11 pm »
Hiya, I think it could be the nap. 2hrs is quite long at her age. Has she always needed lots of sleep? My DS had to totally drop his nap a 27months in order to sleep 12hrs at night so I think capping the nap would be a good place to start.

x
Little man: June 2008
Little lady: June 2010

Offline peacefulwarrior

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 21:37:45 pm »
Thanks a lot.  I guess I wasn't specific enough.  Sometimes she sleeps 1 1/2 hours - 2 is the most and she only does that maybe one day a week.  She sleeps at daycare with 3 girls that are atleast a year older than her and she is the earliest one to wake up (when she only sleeps an hour and a half)!  So how early would you cap the nap?  I can ask her daycare provider to wake her up after 1 1/2 hours.
Thanks!
Monica

Offline Kay Dee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 11:03:18 am »
I think 1.5hrs is a good place to start. Give that a few days and if she's still waking early you could think about shortening it some more. I've had to do this with both my LO's to keep them sleeping well at night and I've always done just 15mins at a time to avoid any OT creeping in, and waited a few days to see what impact it's had before cutting any more. It's all trial and error to find what suits each LO...

Hope this helps!

x
Little man: June 2008
Little lady: June 2010