Author Topic: Confused about what an 11 month needs milk/solids wise.....  (Read 2121 times)

Offline LouiseV

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Confused about what an 11 month needs milk/solids wise.....
« on: February 28, 2012, 09:21:21 am »
Hi ladies
I'm just feeling a bit overwhelmed with information and need some help figuring out what my 11 month old, extremely active little man should be eating at this stage? I know they are all different but I just can't figure out if he's getting enough or not and if that might be causing him to wake sometimes at night?

There seems to be be some conflict in ideas about BFing, how much solids, what solids etc etc?

When would I drop that early morning feed so that he eats breakfast!?

Any thoughts or ideas about his current intake would be really helpful for me. Thanks so much in advance, he doesn't seem hungry but he's definitely firmly attached to my breast at the moment!!

Early Morning  BF
8 am very small breakfast, sometimes only 1 TB of porridge or a small handful of berries
10 bottle feed, will drink 150mls tops of formula (follow-on formula) before nap
12 small pottle of baby yoghurt, half banana, small sandwich with organic peanut butter or avocado
2.45 BF ( this is the next one to be replaced with a bottle I think) before nap
3.30 maybe something like a cracker, small piece of fruit, carrot stick,
5.30 1/4 cup veges like peas, broccoli, carrot, beans.1/4 cup something like chicken casserole or occasionally organic jars of baby food. He won't eat a whole one.not really into carbs like rice or pasta or cous cous which I think he might be missing??
7 BF
First baby boy born March 2011 :)

Offline Lemonthyme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
Re: Confused about what an 11 month needs milk/solids wise.....
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 13:18:36 pm »
It's probably not far off on nutritional balance but I agree that's not much food but my son eats loads and always has.  Sometimes kids don't eat much because they just aren't big eaters.

Although it is worth pointing out that he is still getting three meals and one snack a day. Personally I'd hold out for 1 more month on that breastfeed and swap the morning bottle feed  for a drink and a snack, then if you want to drop that pm breastfeed after 1 year you could swap it for a cup of milk and a snack?

I would keep offering the things he doesn't like.  IME it only gets worse otherwise.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline LouiseV

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 18:45:58 pm »
Thanks for that - I think you're right, wait til we hit one and then find an alternative for BFing in the am and pm. Its just such a good way to settle him as part of his nap routine (not off to sleep, just before a story) I'm worried about dropping them....but I can only try!!

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 21:59:41 pm »
I was too.  My son didn't give up BF till 13 months but it was only around 15-16 months that he suddenly started having much better naps than he'd ever done when BF.  Don't worry!
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 865
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 02:54:39 am »
FWIW, the AM, nap and PM feeds were the ones we kept until close to 22 months.  AM feed was the very last to go.
I agree though, may not be a ton of food, but he's eating and enjoying.  Great for now!

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline Love, laughter, & PJs

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Formerly kmk512
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 05:18:01 am »
I agree that that looks fine!  Looks similar to what we're doing at a similar age.  Milk is the most important thing until 12m - solids are a bonus!  They're for learning how to eat, the calories from BM/formula are the best thing LO can have.  Keep it up! :D
*Kate*

binxyboo

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 06:07:48 am »
I have to say, neither of my first two children ate anywhere near as much food as your lo is eating now at that age. If they had eaten even half as much, I would have been doing cartwheels and a happy dance. I think they also go through stages as they are growing and gaining independence where they like having that security of coming back to snuggle with Mom and nurse as a way of reconnecting, and then it fades again. I think you are doing an awesome job!

Offline LouiseV

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 06:23:48 am »
Thanks so much, that makes me feel better. I know in my head from following a lot of the BLW ideas - but when its there in front of him and he hardly has a bite, thats when my anxieties take over!!!

Will relax - thank you :-)

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 16:42:20 pm »
We BF'd and dropped the first feed at 10 months. Can't remember which but we consolidated to one day time feed. Next feed dropped at 11ish months. So then down to morning and BT feed.

Actually I rememebr him having blueberries and banana for morning snack so prob we dropped morning feed first, moved it back to after nap, then lunch, another nap, dinner, BF then BT.

HTH

Offline stryker412

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 12:44:27 pm »
Our 11 month old has been real fussy lately during breakfast. We would always give him him 1/4 cup of oatmeal with formula mixed and a tub of fruit. Now it's a struggle to get him to eat anything at breakfast. He has learned how to spit and blow food so that is more fun for him. He has started to take more of a bottle when first waking (around 6-7 oz). We generally wait an hour or 1.5 hrs after bottle before starting breakfast. We tried scrambled eggs but he's not really in to them. Trying to expose him to more solids, but he doesn't like textures yet and prefers purees.