Author Topic: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 10  (Read 63421 times)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 10
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2012, 08:17:13 am »
Creations, lol about Ron! F went through a phase when we said she 'squirreled'
Interesting that other LOs do the same thing.  I wonder why?  In DS's case it wasn't that he didn't want the food or was trying to hide it, I suspect same for F?
Do you think it is a similar reason to when they put things (not when eating necessarily) to the back of their head and then drop them?  I don't know the reason for that either, speculating that it is something to do with figuring out where their head 'stops', ie the shape and size of their own body parts, esp those they can't see (like the back of the head).

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2012, 08:56:08 am »
ha ha- so i can't look forward to any stop to the food dropping off the tray any time soon?!? ;P For us its more thathe's kind of finished- not interested at that point in time, and happier to bang it on the tray- till it falls on the floor! Then looks over like 'why is my watermelon on the floor?!?'
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Papaya

• Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2012, 11:40:48 am »
Yeah, the squirreling wasn't really hiding, just seeing if the food would fit down there - and if she remembered it was there she might go back for it later. Also similar to the phase of being interested in squishing food into the grooves of her chair I suppose  ::)

Do you think it is a similar reason to when they put things (not when eating necessarily) to the back of their head and then drop them?  I don't know the reason for that either, speculating that it is something to do with figuring out where their head 'stops', ie the shape and size of their own body parts, esp those they can't see (like the back of the head).

Do all LOs do that?? It's so cute! F also used to love to put a long piece of wool/scarf etc behind her and see how far away from her body she could pull it (if that makes sense...) You're right, it would make sense that they're trying to explore their own parameters! Sorry, a little off topic, but interesting :)
*Nuala*

Offline creations

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2012, 11:55:01 am »
if she remembered it was there she might go back for it later
Yep, that's exactly why I started with the imaginary friend called Ron, 'are you saving that for Ron (lateron)' funny these kids eh?

Offline londonlady

• Showing Appreciation 18
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2012, 23:02:41 pm »
Ooh I missed the switchover to this thread.

Creations - I love the "ron" thing! :)

Papaya - my DD has kind of been squirrelling too, or picking things up, moving her arm behind her and dropping them. Katy - I take that as an "i'm done" thing too.

I think we've had a bit of a break through this past day or so with gagging. I'd kind of backed away from BLW because of all the vomiting we were getting following every gag!

However, since yesterday things seem much better. Purees / mashed food weren't a huge hit either, but she grabbed the spoon today and fed herself a fromage frais today (very messy, but did well with a bit of guidance) She ate far more than if I was feeding her, so I kind of realised that she does want to be in control and feed herself. So I chanced some different finger foods which would previously have had her gagging. She did amazingly well, barely any gagging, no vomiting and quite a lot eaten! Hooray!

I think we were on the right track with BLW in the first place, hopefully onwards and upwards from here. :)

Rach. x

Offline creations

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2012, 23:09:52 pm »
Great news Rach.  Maybe her gag reflex was just too strong before and now it's easing up.  whatever the reason it's good to hear that she's enjoying some new experiences :)

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2012, 12:18:14 pm »
Ok ladies, here are some pictures of Hamish and his food for anyone interested! They are of a typical dinner that i'll offer including a salmon pattie that i made from this website: http://mamacook.blogspot.com/2011/06/salmon-and-spinach-fishcakes-for-babies.html (I usually also offer some fruit) Hamish eating a favourite- watermelon, the day we decided yoghurt is a spoon food, and also to eat topless... And the one in the middle is demonstrating that some days everything hits the floor!!

Do you like my attempts at sexy food photography?!?

Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2012, 12:20:42 pm »
Oh- and the fork is for size comparison.. we don'tuse an adult fork... (or any...) and the plate is to add to the sexy photography look...
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline londonlady

• Showing Appreciation 18
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2012, 12:24:09 pm »
Great photos Katy! Doesn't he just look delighted with himself!

I must get some melon, think that would be a hit here too. xx

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2012, 12:33:10 pm »
Doesn't he just look delighted with himself!

Doesn't he just!! I usually offer the melon cut in half again from what's pictured... I was trying some cute photography.. thought a bigger piece would look more effective.. I also cut the top 2 cm or so off the wedge as i'm concerned that this will then break off and be a small piece for him to get stuck in his mouth.. just a tip!!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline snowbird

• Showing Appreciation 26
  • LJ
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2012, 22:37:06 pm »
Bless Hamish - he's loving it! I give LJ melon but spend time cutting into sticks.  Never thought of giving it to her like this!

I need to catch up with you all more often as there's now loads of posts.

Thanks ladies for all your help and advice.  After listening to your thoughts Creation, we've decided to cut meal times down and also not to stick the plate to the table.  It's all going well and we've had less food on the floor so - thank you!

Still umming and aching about the fork but will see.

xxx

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2012, 01:51:58 am »
The fork sounded like a great ide- I cant remember who said it.. was easier than a spoon as the stuff doesn't fall off... not for us yet though! But later.... And snowbird- the watermelon is great like that- again, i cut it in half from that (They sell 1/4 cut melons at the shop) acd cut the tip off- the tip is a very small piece if it comes off- that way you get to taste the yummy melon too!

Oh- and the salmon pattie is frozen... not mouldy...
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline beckygatt

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2012, 08:06:40 am »
Katy - love the pics!!  ;D

Is it normal for 8 months old to still be getting gas from things like broccoli? Every time I give Sophia broccoli or cauliflower she wakes up crying at night with what I imagine is gas. Even if I give them for lunch!

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2012, 08:30:17 am »
Wouldn't be surprised- Hamish won't even let broccoli INTO his mouth!! so we have no experience here!!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Papaya

• Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2012, 08:47:23 am »
Certainly not unheard of, although most babies are fine with it by this stage - is she very mobile yet? Trapped gas can be more problematic for babies who aren't crawling as there aren't as many opportunities for them to get it out!

There is a theory that eating small amounts of a gassy food regularly will help the body to learn to process it more efficiently, until it doesn't cause any problems (hence why people who eat beans or lentils regularly don't find that they cause gas, whereas if you're not used to them.... :P) So you could try giving a tiny amount every few days. OR, just hold off on it for another month or two until her digestive system is a bit more developed and try again then :)

(FWIW: F loves loves loves broccoli and always has - I'm glad as she's MPI and it's a good source of calcium!)
*Nuala*