Author Topic: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 10  (Read 62615 times)

Offline Papaya

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
Re: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 10
« Reply #90 on: February 08, 2012, 02:17:00 am »
He has yet to get much water from it, but can't get enough of chewing on the spout,

Katie, if he's really into gnawing on things at the moment, how about offering him some cucumber sticks or tomato wedges? My LO loves these when she's teething, because she can rub them against her gums, they're nice and cold if out of the fridge, and it's easy to suck/gum the softer flesh off the skins :)  Although tomato is a possible allergen, so you might want to watch out for that at this early stage.
*Nuala*

Offline katie80

• Showing Appreciation 220
« Reply #91 on: February 08, 2012, 02:27:23 am »
Oh, good ideas, Nuala, thanks.  Yes, he's definitely working on another tooth.  Neither are in season here right now, but I can get some local greenhouse ones, I think.  I'll have to check.

Offline beckygatt

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #92 on: February 08, 2012, 06:21:22 am »
LOL on he-man Katy!! Too funny! I used to love he-man too!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #93 on: February 08, 2012, 23:57:51 pm »
Katie, have you tried baked potato wedges? They are quite firm to pick up, can be just sucked on, but also if LO starts to gnaw on it the inside is basically mash as it is so soft.  LO can gum and suck the contents out without so easily 'snapping' a bit off.  The skins can be discarded if they are not eaten.

Baked apple wedges hold pretty well too and again it's so soft inside it's like apple sauce.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #94 on: February 09, 2012, 01:24:42 am »
Good ideas creations. I plan on making banana pancakes tomorrow and will let colby have a try.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline katie80

• Showing Appreciation 220
« Reply #95 on: February 09, 2012, 01:56:43 am »
Thanks, creations.  I just finally realized what your avatar is...  I love it! ;D

Offline creations

« Reply #96 on: February 09, 2012, 21:20:25 pm »
I plan on making banana pancakes tomorrow and will let colby have a try.
DS loves pancakes, they are a staple here.  The little american/scotch/russian ones, not the English/French sort.
I make them with a variety of fruit, packed with fruit.  Have also made sweet potato ones too.
He will eat about 6 of these for a morning snack (plus an entire mango or banana!  I DO NOT know how I keep up with the food bill!).  I usually make a batch of about 35 and stick some in the freezer so they last a few days.
I keep meaning to try more with different veg in because I'm always concerned his veg intake is too low in comparison to the amount of fruit he eats.

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #97 on: February 09, 2012, 21:29:00 pm »
I keep meaning to try more with different veg in because I'm always concerned his veg intake is too low in comparison to the amount of fruit he eats.

I'm the same with hamish- will smash every fruit known to man (is there a kiwifruit eating contest? He;d soooo win!) but only a couple of vegies... i keep packing them into the things i make though...
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline creations

« Reply #98 on: February 09, 2012, 22:05:44 pm »
Fruit is so much easier too though isn't it Katy?  I mean fruit is lovely and ripe and ready.  Previously cooked green beans gone cold, then even colder because they are in the fridge, just don't have the same appeal :(  Although I must admit when he was younger and starting out on BLW he would totally gobble up an entire plate of veg even it had been cooked in advance and stored for a couple of hours in the fridge.
I was just talking with DP about this last night, I must make some veg snacks that are appetising.  Thinking falafel, mini vegi/bean burgers that sort of thing.  Stuff that would be ok to take out to play group or offer almost straight from the fridge.

Katie and Ali, roasted sweet potato wedges or carrots are good too, again hold their shape pretty well but the inside is lovely and soft.  I always cooked it too long when I steamed sweet potato and it would fall apart into mash.

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #99 on: February 09, 2012, 23:58:48 pm »
I make a few little muffins packed with vegies- like i did some sweet potato and sultana ones, and capsicum and cheese ones. Not as much veg as i can put in meatballs, but some veg, and can be transported out abd about and eaten without preparation, refrigeration, or even too much clean up!

Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Papaya

• Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
« Reply #100 on: February 10, 2012, 00:11:15 am »
I make vege fritters as well, which are great for taking out for a snack, or part of dinner if what we're having isn't suitable. Grated veg of choice (F loves carrot and onion, or pumpkin. Courgette would be good too), some herbs, a bit of flour and an egg :)
*Nuala*

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #101 on: February 10, 2012, 00:13:35 am »
ill try them.. the french tast was asuccess!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #102 on: February 10, 2012, 00:17:56 am »
I used to make pancakes with butternut squash for Cadan as it goes nice and smooth when pureed. Peas are great too. He also used to like eating cold, cooked peas and sweetcorn out of a little pot as a snack. He would use a little pincer grip and eat them individually. Kept him entertained in the shopping trolley on many occasions. You can also grate carrot into sauces for pasta or meats like mince.

I actually made cinnamon pancakes and used the banana for some fairy cakes cadan and I made during colby's nap so he didn't get any of those.

I have roasted some sweet potato tonight actually and that will be tomorrow's offering.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline creations

« Reply #103 on: February 10, 2012, 09:53:40 am »
I make muffins too Katy :)  He loves one when they are first offered but then doesn't want one the next day or thereafter.  So he gets about one out of every batch made which leaves WAY too many for me!  I also made a selection for his first birthday, cut a 'cone' shape out of the top, put a big dollop of mascarpone cheese in there and replaced the cone to keep the mushy mascarpone kind of inside.  Worked really well and both DS and all the adults enjoyed them.

I like the sound of the vegi fritters Nuala.  Will make up some of those :)

Ali, with the squash in pancakes did you steam the squash first then?
I like the idea of the peas and sweetcorn in pots to take out Ali.  To fit in shopping we leave 'directly' after lunch but by the time he's been on the potty, had a nappy change, and I've got our shoes and coats on, we get there and it's snack time!  Has also given me the idea of taking along a pot of cooked beans (not the baked in tom sauce variety, just plain).

He does get vegies :) I shouldn't make it sound like they are non-existent.  I make a huge lunch as that's the time he eats the most in the day and also he has it after his nap so I have time whilst he sleeps to cook.  It's our main meal of the day and it's always got lots and lots of veg.  I'd just like him to have some at other times of the day rather than fruit.

I have a vegi cook book for kids too which has some tasty sounding ideas.

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #104 on: February 10, 2012, 11:16:04 am »
I love the cupcake idea with the marscapone!!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!