Author Topic: 10.5 month old with nap issues  (Read 2971 times)

Offline jenicagirl

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
    • Pumpkin's Boutique
10.5 month old with nap issues
« on: February 03, 2012, 22:30:08 pm »
You would think since this is my thrd baby that I would have this figured out, lol! I read through this already: http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=95670.0

Ellie has always been a pretty good napper. Two naps about 2-2.5 hours apart, each one lasting 1.5-2 hours. Lately she has been refusing her afternoon nap. Here is what I've tried:

Keeping her up later before her morning nap. (she gets extrememly cranky when I do this.
Letting her sleep as long as she wants for her morning nap (up to three hours sometimes)
Waking her early from her morning nap.
Shortening the A time between naps.
Lengthening the A time between naps.
Feeding her before going to sleep.
Putting her to bed earlier at night.

No matter if her morning nap is long, short or none it doesn't seem to matter. If I can get her to sleep at all in the afternoon its for maybe an hour. She is extremely grumpy all afternoon/evening. She just lays in there and cries. Sometimes standing up, sometimes laying down. I've tried patting her, rubbing her back - doesn't seem to work, she cries even if I'm there with her, which she never used to do. I keep thinking she is over tired but no matter when I seem to put her down, she will not go to sleep unless for just n hour but usually not at all. This has been going on for two weeks or so!

Any suggestions????
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 22:45:52 pm by jenicagirl »
~Jenica~
Mom to Taryn (5), Alaina (3) & Ellie (3/11)

Offline *Kara*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Re: 10.5 month old with nap issues
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 04:44:23 am »
Ellie has most certainly hit the 2-1 transition ;)

Since she still takes her AM nap easily - I would cut it short for sure and that will guarantee you a PM nap as well :)

You mentioned that you have woken her from the nap - how long did you let her sleep before doing so?

Could you post a typical day right now in EAS format?  Will have a peek for you :)

Offline jenicagirl

• Showing Appreciation 0
    • Pumpkin's Boutique
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 22:41:15 pm »
Thanks for replying! I have tried waking her from her morning nap at 1 hour, 1.5 hours and 2 hours. None of them have given me an afternoon nap. I also have skipped morning nap, that didn't work either. My other two took two naps until close to 18 months!

Her schedule varies. Here is her normal-ish schedule.

Wake & Nurse: 7:00 am
Activity: 7:15 - 9:00 (snack of banana & cheerios around 8:30)
Sleep: 9:00 - 11:00
Activity: 11:00 - 2:00 (lunch around 11:30)
Try to lay her down for nap around 2ish, she is yawning, signing sleep, rubbing eyes, etc.
Cry, cry, cry. I try to pat, I try to see if she needs any medicine/teething stuff. I try rocking her for a bit. I try nursing her.
Usually around 3:00-3:30 I finally give up and get her up.
She is cranky......
Snack around 4:30 or 5:00
Dinner around 6:00 or 6:30
Sometimes bath after.
Nurse@7:30, read a book, put her to bed by 8pm with rarely ever an issue.

I've tried moving her bed time up to 7:30 or 7:00 when she is cranky and has missed her nap. She goes down fine but then wakes up that much earlier the next day and still not napping good.

My one other question is wondering if I'm not feeding her enough. I'm trying to cut down the nursings and wean her. Right now she nurses three times a day: morning, late afternoon & bed time. She eats a morning snack, after noon snack, breakfast & dinner. She eats a good amount, eats whever we are having. But *some* of the issues seem to have started around the time I cut down on her nursing sessions. But, one of the reasons is that she isn't very interested in it any more. She pulls my hair, smacks me in the face, hits me and tries to look everywhere else while nursing, coming off the nipple often. She prefers food. That's fine with me, but this just makes me wonder if she's not getting enough calories? She sleeps through the night, though, 12 hours.
~Jenica~

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 05:36:03 am »
If she isn't NWing for a BF, you can assume that she is getting enough... if you are concerned, offer higher calorie items during the day... avocado/cheese/meat/pasta...

Her first A time is only 2 hours??  Far too short for her age - it should be closer to 4 hrs ;)  Also, after a 2 hr nap, there is little chance of getting her down for a nap again - she should easily manage about 4 hrs...

That said, if she goes down easily after 2 hrs and isn't waking early because of it, you can keep the nap at the same time and cut back to 45 mins to start... just be warned that she may only make a 3 hr A time before needing another nap :)  If she still resists after a few consistent days of capping at 45 mins, cut to 30 mins...

I would try this for a few days:

Wake 7am
Nap #1: 10am - 10:45am  (need to push out slowly in prep for 1 nap)
Nap #2: 145pm - let her wake up on her own
BT: hold at 7-730pm depending on her wake from nap... try for at least 4 hrs of A time though..

What do you think?

Offline jenicagirl

• Showing Appreciation 0
    • Pumpkin's Boutique
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 02:32:28 am »
If she isn't NWing for a BF, you can assume that she is getting enough... if you are concerned, offer higher calorie items during the day... avocado/cheese/meat/pasta...

Her first A time is only 2 hours??  Far too short for her age - it should be closer to 4 hrs ;)  Also, after a 2 hr nap, there is little chance of getting her down for a nap again - she should easily manage about 4 hrs...

That said, if she goes down easily after 2 hrs and isn't waking early because of it, you can keep the nap at the same time and cut back to 45 mins to start... just be warned that she may only make a 3 hr A time before needing another nap :)  If she still resists after a few consistent days of capping at 45 mins, cut to 30 mins...

I would try this for a few days:

Wake 7am
Nap #1: 10am - 10:45am  (need to push out slowly in prep for 1 nap)
Nap #2: 145pm - let her wake up on her own
BT: hold at 7-730pm depending on her wake from nap... try for at least 4 hrs of A time though..

What do you think?

Thanks, I'll try it tomorrow. She gets REALLY cranky if I keep her up too late in the morning, but I'll see how it goes. She was up a bunch of times last night, I think because she was just so over tired. So she took two two hour naps today. And it was really nice to have my happy baby back, lol. Hopefully she will sleep good tonight and we will start fresh tomorrow.

I'll let you know how it goes!
~Jenica~

Offline jenicagirl

• Showing Appreciation 0
    • Pumpkin's Boutique
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 20:51:22 pm »
Well, she got up around 7:30 today. I kept her up until 10:15 but she was soooo cranky, fussing, rubbing her eyes and signing sleep. She went right to sleep for her morning nap and woke up around 11:45. Its now 2:45 and she has been so fussy for 30 min. I just laid her down and she is in there talking to herself. I don't know yet if she will go to sleep. I fed her a snack but didn't nurse her this afternoon. I'll see if she needs it. If she sleeps I'll do it after her nap.

As for the food thing, I talked to a few other moms and three times a day seems ok. She eats a lot of food. Sometimes she just doesn't want to nurse, we gave her a bottle of formula the other night and she drank some of that and then went to sleep better. Its funny, I had to wean the other two, they did not want to stop nursing while this one seems to be ready to be done.
~Jenica~

Offline jenicagirl

• Showing Appreciation 0
    • Pumpkin's Boutique
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 21:15:06 pm »
Well, she started crying, I went in there, she was standing up screaming. I nursed her and layed her back down. It is now 3:15. She is talking and whining to her self.
~Jenica~

Offline jenicagirl

• Showing Appreciation 0
    • Pumpkin's Boutique
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 21:30:59 pm »
3:30 and she is still crying.  guess no nap this afternoon :(
~Jenica~

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 21:55:34 pm »
Sounds like you have hit the 2-1 transition for sure...I would stick with a 3 hr minimum first A time, cap her first nap at 1 hr and then let her sleep as long as she likes for the PM nap.. chances are, she will go down after about 2.5 hrs A time with a 1 hr nap in the morning...

Think you could try it?

Offline jenicagirl

• Showing Appreciation 0
    • Pumpkin's Boutique
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 22:22:34 pm »
Sounds like you have hit the 2-1 transition for sure...I would stick with a 3 hr minimum first A time, cap her first nap at 1 hr and then let her sleep as long as she likes for the PM nap.. chances are, she will go down after about 2.5 hrs A time with a 1 hr nap in the morning...

Think you could try it?

So you are saying if she gets up at 7:30 like she did today, still put her down at 10:15-10:30 but wake her up after an hour (so 11:15) and then put her down again around 1:45?
~Jenica~

Offline jenicagirl

• Showing Appreciation 0
    • Pumpkin's Boutique
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 17:19:49 pm »
OK, so today she did not want to go to nap this morning. She was al ittle cranky, I gave her some tylenol since she was chewing on her hands. I tried two times to put her down, she didn't want to sleep. I fed her lunch at 11 and she immediately started signing sleep. its 11:15 and she is quiet. She got up at 7:15am so I'm assuming this will be her only nap today - I only hope its a good one!
~Jenica~

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 17:42:38 pm »
Good luck hun, this 2-1 is really a phase of playing it by ear at times!

With teething pain, you are much better to give her Advil/Motrin... it lasts longer, works faster and has anti-inflammatory effects as well.

Offline jenicagirl

• Showing Appreciation 0
    • Pumpkin's Boutique
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 18:35:44 pm »
OK, I have advil, I'll try that next time.

However, she is now awake. She slept 1hr 15 min only! I'm going to wait a bit before getting her and see if she goes back to sleep, but that is not long enough if she is only to have one nap all day!
~Jenica~

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 18:45:05 pm »
Ugh.  Can you get a CN in the car around 4pm, just for 30 mins to get her to bedtime?

Offline jenicagirl

• Showing Appreciation 0
    • Pumpkin's Boutique
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 18:49:45 pm »
Well, knock on wood, she's quiet right now! Hopefully that means she went back to sleep!!
~Jenica~