Author Topic: 18 month sleep regression support thread - Part 2  (Read 83589 times)

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 44
Re: 18 month sleep regression support thread - Part 2
« Reply #390 on: April 20, 2014, 11:27:58 am »
Well it sounds like your lo can catch up on sleep at night on days he gets less sleep during the day which is great. I would suggest not letting him sleep for 3hrs. But What I would do is start your own thread to get some additional eyes. Perhaps on the General Sleep forum or Night Wakings.
My dreamed for Angel Baby DD (other than dreaded 40min naps) Born 4/30/16
Reflux, MSPI, Love my Spirited,textbook little munchkin DS Born 5/17/2012

**Siobhan**

Offline momma.bear

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #391 on: April 22, 2014, 21:11:31 pm »
Joining everyone and hoping this sleep regression is short lived for all! It's been about two weeks now of EWings, anywhere from 5:15am to 6am, but 6am is now considered sleeping in. DS is 19 months, cutting his 4 canines, and just not sleeping well. He sometimes needs to be resettled once or twice at night, but he doesn't fight BT or nap time. Just short nights (10.5 hours) and short naps (1.25-1.5 hours). And it seems that if I put him to bed early (6pm), then he's up by 5:15. If he goes to bed late (7:30), he sleeps till 6. I just don't know what to do. Anyone know how long this lasts?

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #392 on: April 23, 2014, 01:45:43 am »
Is he settling independently Hun? If not then I'd tackle that first. I had to re at both my kids at this age after a bout of SA/teething/sr.

If so, what does he do at the ew? Will he stay in bed till WU? What time is the nap?
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline momma.bear

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #393 on: April 23, 2014, 10:08:53 am »
He settles independently for naps and BT, but when he wakes up in the morning, whether it's 5:15am or later, that's it, there's nothing I can do to get him back to sleep. The first time I'll usually go in and just tell him we're still sleeping. He'll lay there quietly for about 10 minutes, but then cry. If I don't get him, he'll wail. I'll then just cuddle with him in the chair for 5 mins and then he'll say 'done' and we'll go downstairs. Never before 5:30, but usually before 6.
His nap is 12:15/12:30.

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #394 on: April 24, 2014, 09:19:13 am »
Have you tried w2s? It could have become a habit...or it could be teeth? - does medicating help? Can you feed at 5 and pd again...would he settle then?

Only other thing I can think of is to get yo push the nap later. Closer to 1-3pm :-\
***Sara***

Offline momma.bear

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #395 on: April 24, 2014, 11:20:37 am »
I haven't tried w2s. Really don't want to have to set my alarm to wake him up :( I've tried medicating him before when he woke up around 3am, but it made no difference, he was still up around 5:30. He doesn't take a bottle, and he doesn't really drink much in the morning so feeding wouldn't help him settle. I'm worried that pushing the nap to 1pm would make him OT, as that would be 7.5 hours of A time if he wakes up at 5:30. Should I try anyways? Just don't know how long it would take to change it as well. If the first time doesn't work, how long do I try?

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #396 on: April 26, 2014, 01:41:32 am »
Well of you suspect OT then try an earlier nap for a few days and see if it helps? If the naps a bust do EBT
***Sara***

Offline stuckunderhere

• Showing Appreciation 2
    • Micah's FPIES Life
« Reply #397 on: May 16, 2014, 22:52:04 pm »
Ugh, I hate to admit it, but we are here too... His schedule is all over the place.

Usually he's pretty consistent with a 6:45am WU, 1-3 nap, 8:45pm BT... he never slept more than 12hrs a day.

Now he sleeps his naps, but they are happening early or late. And he wont sleep til like 9:30, and wakes up at 6:15ish. I am dead. Ohh and tons of NWs
~Sarah~
Proud mama bear to:

Samuel - 10
Elijah - 6
Micah - 3

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #398 on: May 17, 2014, 07:36:21 am »
Where is he at with teeth Hun? How longs this been going on?
What's happening at BT? - faffing about or crying for you?
***Sara***

Offline stuckunderhere

• Showing Appreciation 2
    • Micah's FPIES Life
« Reply #399 on: May 17, 2014, 13:17:11 pm »
I wonder if the 2yr molars are coming in... hmm...

Oh BT, it is just a looooong dragged out process lately. He demands his "neh nah's" on and on until I give up about 45mins later and then he screams for a good 10mins, until he is exhausted and daddy comes over, puts a hand on his back and he's out like a light in a matter of seconds... I can't do this no more!
~Sarah~
Proud mama bear to:

Samuel - 10
Elijah - 6
Micah - 3

Offline FrankiesMom12

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #400 on: May 18, 2014, 23:18:25 pm »
Hi All - I thought I would post on here as I think we are entering the throes of the 18 month sleep regression.  I know it is one of those things you just have to get through, but man is it rough in the meantime!  My son literally just turned 18 months about 2 weeks ago and over the last week sleep has gotten worse.  So far middle of the night sleep has not been affected (thank you God and knock on wood!), but his wakeup time is 30-45 minutes early and his naps have been a bit shorter.  He has alsobecome EXTREMELY stubborn over the last few days and is throwing temper tantrums like I never thought could occur. Oh - and he cut two molars this week and judging by his swollen gums more are not far behind!  To make matters even worse we found out he has a severe nut allergy last week that had me calling 911 and us in the ER!  What a week for all of us!

Offline TB9

• Showing Appreciation 60
« Reply #401 on: June 30, 2014, 11:27:21 am »
Ugh!  It has started!  DD2 has started her wonderweek, and sure enough sleep has gone out the window :(  She was already down to a 40-50min nap with 11hr night, the last couple days have been 30min nap and then she tries to wake after 10hr night...yesterday I got her back to sleep, this morning no such luck :(  Poor kid just had a meltdown outside of her sisters room because I wouldnt let her go in and wake dd1 up.  I imagine this is going to get much worse before it gets better :P

On the bright side I have noticed a language explosion, and she is really starting to understand most of what is said to her :)

Anyone else here with me?

Offline patsy32

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #402 on: August 02, 2014, 14:17:44 pm »
Hi Ladies,
Think I might be joining you all in the 18 mth sleep regression phase but really not sure what's going on with Dd

She is just turned 19 mths last wk and her routine was like clockwork. However, over the past month or so we have started having a lot of earlier wu's, later & shorter naps and later BT with a lot of chatting etc to herself for up to 30 min before falling asleep.
Thank God we haven't had any Nw's yet so that's why Iam not really sure if this is the 18 mth regression or something else. 
Our routine used to be -
Wu- 7.15/7.30 am
Nap - 1.45 / 2.00pm - 3.45/4.00 pm ( I would always wake at 4)
BT - 7.30/7.45 pm ( asleep by 8 pm)
STTN

Now we are getting -
WU - 6.00 - 8.00 am (anywhere inbetween)
Nap - 2.00/2.15 - 3.30 pm
BT - 7.45/8.00 pm with chatting for anything up to 30 min before she settles.

Today she woke & was fussy between 6.15 & 7.00 am but resettled herself.
Woke her up at 8.00 am
Nap - 2.00 pm in car (woke 10 min later when I tried to transfer to crib)
Nap again - 3.15 pm after a lot of fussing (going to wake at 4 pm)
BT - going to try for 8.00 pm

What do you guys think, is this the regression or something else like developmental.  Language is getting more frequent but still not using proper words just a lot of babble and is understanding a lot more of what we say or ask her.
Don't know what to do regards napping and timings etc. Can't push nap any later so should I cap at 1 hr or ride this out and hope things return to normal? Naps seem to be the biggest problem, their getting later and shorter then she wakes in such bad form. Luckily BT hasn't produced any battles yet but she chats to herself for 30 min or more before she settles herself and we've dropped from 12 hr night to 11 to between 10-10.5 hrs very rapidly! !

All help appreciated x
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 15:50:58 pm by patsy32 »

Offline Hellomama

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #403 on: August 10, 2014, 22:28:05 pm »
Hi everyone, how r u all going?
I think DS is going through his regression. He is 17.5 months. Last week we had nws and the only way to get him to sleep was to sleep next to his cot (starting bad habits). Then he STTN for one night and I thought it was over but he isn't sleeping again. Last night he slept 10pm-3am I tried to settle him until 6am and gave up and now I have no idea when to nap him. His usu day is
07:00 WU
12:50 nap (30m-1.5h)
19:30 BT (earlier depending on nap)
Any ideas if I should give him 2 naps today? He seems tired already.
Thx

Offline LovelyLilyandJack

• Showing Appreciation 44
  • Formerly lovelylily
« Reply #404 on: August 21, 2014, 07:19:03 am »
Uh oh. I think we've hit the 18 month sleep regression.  We've had a week or so of chatty nws or ews now.  Not sure if it's something routine related or not yet - it's possible he's OT after a virus last week, but he'll be up late for a wedding on Saturday so no point trying to change much before then.  I have a feeling it's developmental anyway, cos he's trying to make lots of new sounds at the moment and is also in a leap.  Aah well....