Author Topic: 13 week old new to bottles and not eating enough?  (Read 1365 times)

Offline Gpgmum

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
13 week old new to bottles and not eating enough?
« on: August 15, 2012, 12:36:51 pm »
Hi all,

I am a second time mum to a gorgeous 13 week old boy. I had great success with baby whisperer with my daughter in terms of getting her to nap and sleep well, so I'm back this time with a different problem.
DS was born 7lb 10oz and I breast fed exclusively for 11 weeks. He started out on 25th percentile but was hit with a virus at 6 weeks and chest infection at 11 weeks and his weight gain was not good, down to below the 9th. So we were advised to start supplementing and have been trying to for 2 weeks. I am trying to BF two feeds a day and express once, otherwise I'm using Aptimil. He seems to be tolerating it fine, no spitting up etc. But my problem is volumes. He hardly ever takes more than 4 oz for me and mostly 3. He's on a 3 hr EASY a lot of the time but quite often hungry at 2 1/2 hrs, with a variety of good and short naps, he's very contented, probably an Angel baby. I'm using size 2 teats as it was taking him forever to use size 1. He only had a couple of bottles up to 11 weeks, which is probably another part of my problem.
I just wonder if the problem is that I was BF and maybe he was getting used to small volumes and won't take more for that reason? He is up at least twice during the night. We have tried DF at 11'ish but I find that he wakes earlier fot the next feed if I do it, rather than let him wake himself.
I know baby whisperer advice is to get another ounce into him at each day feed to try to cut the night feeds but what if he just won't take it? He is about 12lb now, so not a big boy, but surely should manage more than 3 oz per feed?! I'd really like to see his weight gain improve.
Any advice much appreciated BW Mums!

Thanks

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: 13 week old new to bottles and not eating enough?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 20:21:32 pm »
How much is he taking from bottles over 24 hours?

Have a look at this link, there may be some things to help http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=67403.0

Laura