Author Topic: How many ounces formula does your 4 month old eat on 4 hour EASY?  (Read 2972 times)

Offline jennfullwood

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Hi Moms,

How many ounces does your 4 month old baby eat on 4 hour EASY routine?

My baby has reflux and comfort eats, so I am unsure how many ounces to feed him when moving to 4 hour EASY. I currently feed him 6 ounces per feed, but he still seems hungry at 3 hours, so I think I will need to increase it to at least 7 ounces when moving to four hours. Does this sound like too much milk? He is 4 months old, 15.5 lbs.

Any input would be greatly appreciated! :) Thank you!

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: How many ounces formula does your 4 month old eat on 4 hour EASY?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 08:20:02 am »
Sounds fine to me! You should be guided by how hungry he is, there is a huge growth spurt at 4 months so he will need the extra calories. If he is keeping 7oz bottles down fine then that's what he needs, if he is draining those then they need to be increased rerally.

HTH!

Laura

Offline jennfullwood

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 12:16:43 pm »
Thank you, Laura! I appreciate your response. Yes, he would easily take 7 oz bottles or more. He may spit up some, but I do not think it is because he can't hold them. He has reflux that when he moves around a lot or when I lay him down, he spits up. But it is controlled with medication now so he is not uncomfortable.

I will add some more milk to his bottles and see how this works. With the four feeds and dreamfeed on the 4 hour EASY, do you think it is ok if I do the four feeds a 7,11,3, and 7 and then NOT do a dreamfeed and just allow him to wake through the night once to eat until he extends to morning? I have tried to do a dreamfeed with him many times, but it just has not worked for him as he still wakes an additional time through the night to feed and he ends up eating more if I do the dreamfeed. For some reason, it disrupts his long stretch of sleep. If I feed him at 7pm and put him to bed, he will stretch to around 3 or 3:30am and then wake to eat.

I guess this means that I will be feeding through the night probably for awhile, or at least until solids are introduced.

Thank you!

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 12:30:19 pm »
I have 2 refluxers who were hopeless dreamfeeders so we just fed them when they woke! DS needed a night feed for a long while but with DD we weaned it around 8 months when we would have been weaning the DF and she has slept through pretty much since then.

The DF doesn't work for all babies!

Laura

Offline jennfullwood

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 15:36:46 pm »
OK Laura! Thank you, this is good to know. I have felt I shouldn't feed through the night past 4 or 5 months, but if he won't take the dreamfeed, he has to get his calories in somewhere, so I will just feed when he wakes like you did with yours as well. :) Thanks so much!

Offline Floofymad

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 20:39:49 pm »
Dream feeding didn't work for my refluxer either. She likes to do the long stretch from 7/8pm to middle of night. She's 4 months, about 17lbs and has about 32oz a day on a good day (4 x 8oz) or maybe 3x 7oz and 1x 8oz