Author Topic: constant feeding? Please help??  (Read 19074 times)

Offline weaver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #105 on: October 16, 2012, 14:10:29 pm »
Kelly, very late congratulations to you and welcome to baba. 

Right breast today doesnt feel fuller like it did yesterday, both seem quite empty to be honest :( what if there isnt enough milk?

Don't worry about there not being enough milk - it's in there all right, just let baby work on getting it out.  The fact that your breasts aren't feeling so full today probably means that he's doing very well at getting to it.  Well done baba!
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
Re: constant feeding? Please help??
« Reply #106 on: October 16, 2012, 15:38:41 pm »
*hugs* Certainly get any thoughts of not having milk right out of your head.  That way leads a slippery path.  I'm not sure of the statistics, but only a tiny % of women can't produce enough milk for their babies.  I think I may have said before that the 'full' feeling tends to be engorgement, which means LO needs feeding rather than it indicating an amount of milk that is present.  As I understand it, engorgement is caused by excess water in the breast tissue rather than an accumulation of milk.  Sometimes it helps to think of the breast less as a glass that gets full and is then emptied as it's being drunk and more as a tap, that there's always milk there to come out, but just needs to be turned off and on :-*

Do you think trying to feed him in a different position might help the wind and/or slipping?  Did you get along to the BF support group yet?  They might be able to see something we can't which is causing him to slide off.

If your breasts are just feeling warm generally then you're probably ok.  If it's more specific heat in a particular area, you might want to keep an eye on that.  As Shiv and others have said, ibuprofen is fine whilst BF (happy, it sounds like your pharmacist may need to brush up on their BF drug safety ;) ) if you need it.

As for when to switch breast - if he's fallen asleep on one I might offer that again and see how he gets on.  If he seems frustrated or disinterested I might offer the other and see what happens.

You're doing great :-*
*** Amanda ***

Offline shivi

• Showing Appreciation 177
  • cuddling with my monkeys!
« Reply #107 on: October 16, 2012, 18:29:50 pm »
the 'full' feeling tends to be engorgement, which means LO needs feeding rather than it indicating an amount of milk that is present.  As I understand it, engorgement is caused by excess water in the breast tissue rather than an accumulation of milk.

absolutely xxx

Siobhain - Mammy to Oscar and Emma, forever spirited, currently bilingual and curly, formerly baldy, extended breastfeeders!

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #108 on: October 17, 2012, 01:43:01 am »
There's a growth spurt right at that 2-3 week mark too -- if it hasn't hit you yet, this is probably it. 
You are doing fabulously well.  :) 

Offline *happy*

• Showing Appreciation 55
  • blessed to have found BWing.xxx
« Reply #109 on: October 17, 2012, 19:32:24 pm »
You are doing fabulously well.

^^^^this hun....it's not easy but you're doing great.xxx

Offline Me.and.my.two.boys

• Showing Appreciation 41
  • Me and my boys ❤️
« Reply #110 on: October 19, 2012, 08:34:40 am »
Im thinking C is right in the midst of 2 week GS - he is feeding every 2.5 hours!! Feeding is actually going well the last few days but its the settling in between that I am struggling with. He has wind issues, Im not sure what yet but I am working on that.

A few questions - I want to pump so DP can do one feed at night but Im not sure when to? If I feed from one side at a feed should I just pump from the other side? which side would I feed from next feed?

Also, is there anything I can be taking? I am looking into a probiotic but does anyone take any other supplements?

Im not having any caffeine or alcohol but is there anything else I should be avoiding?

Thanks ladies :-*
Kelly, mum of two amazing boys 2008 and 2012

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #111 on: October 19, 2012, 09:52:34 am »
I want to pump so DP can do one feed at night but Im not sure when to? If I feed from one side at a feed should I just pump from the other side? which side would I feed from next feed?
Pumping between the two feeds first up in the morning is usually when you'll get the best yield, or during your first feed since you are one-side feeding and the easiest way to get a letdown while pumping is to have LO sucking on the other boob ;)  I'd then feed off the side you pumped from for the next feed.

Offline Me.and.my.two.boys

• Showing Appreciation 41
  • Me and my boys ❤️
« Reply #112 on: October 19, 2012, 10:48:44 am »
during your first feed since you are one-side feeding and the easiest way to get a letdown while pumping is to have LO sucking on the other boob
I will try this :)
Kelly, mum of two amazing boys 2008 and 2012

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #113 on: October 19, 2012, 12:19:10 pm »
I took calcium while bfing but I don't think it's necessary (though I have read it can help your supply when AF returns if that's a problem).  As for foods to avoid, as long as he seems ok with things, I wouldn't worry.  I ate whatever with all of mine and they were fine. 

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #114 on: October 19, 2012, 19:20:52 pm »
As long as you're not going mad, caffeine should be ok, by the way.  I think some say it actually helps milk production, but I could be remembering wrong :)
*** Amanda ***

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #115 on: October 19, 2012, 23:57:02 pm »
I never cut caffeine out (prob should) but YK, I need to not go mad. ;)
If your doing a bottle you an give C probiotics, you need to get the ones for infants. That said, I would just take them yourself (adult ones) this early on, and he will get them through your milk.

Are you trying aching to help with wind if you many get it up? I've just had to go get gripe water. (Woodwards here) and use it when desperate! (Typically when we get those awful hiccups that hurt)

***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #116 on: October 20, 2012, 00:56:09 am »
I never cut out caffeine with any of mine either, just didn't go drinking tons of it.  In one of my breastfeeding books, it said something like "Mothers who drink 6-8 cups of coffee a day may find their infants are nervous and jittery" -- which always made me laugh b/c I think that much coffee would have that affect on anyone

Offline shivi

• Showing Appreciation 177
  • cuddling with my monkeys!
« Reply #117 on: October 20, 2012, 08:12:00 am »
I actually STARTED drinking coffee  for the first time in my life as a BF mammy!
As for probiotics - don't think they're even necessary for EBF babies - they only have the good bacteria in their gut, none of the bad at all....
Good for you though so take them for yourself but I don't think they pass thro milk anyway....

I've had 1-3 cups of coffee a day since O was 2 wks old, all thro bf days. Switched to 1 cup caff and two decaf while pg 2nd time.

Alcohol - hmm, well that's a touchy one. I would never have bf for as long as I did without the odd glass of wine.

S x

Siobhain - Mammy to Oscar and Emma, forever spirited, currently bilingual and curly, formerly baldy, extended breastfeeders!

Offline barbaraz78

• Showing Appreciation 68
  • In the fall...
« Reply #118 on: October 20, 2012, 09:46:54 am »
Alcohol - hmm, well that's a touchy one. I would never have bf for as long as I did without the odd glass of wine.

Here guidelines say that you can drink a moderate amount of alcohol, i.e. one glass of wine or one 330 mL bottle of beer, both during pregnancy and BF. I know that in many other countries the guidelines are different, but I don't think moderate amounts have great impact, because they arrive to the baby very diluted.
I think that the same is with caffeine.

I used to drink sometime a glass of wine while bf, and I had coffee in the morning.
Barbara

Offline eva026

• Showing Appreciation 32
« Reply #119 on: October 20, 2012, 12:21:34 pm »
"Mothers who drink 6-8 cups of coffee a day may find their infants are nervous and jittery"

LOL!!!

Drank 1-2 cups of coffee here all through my pregnancy and BFing now too.
I even go out and have an occasional beer with friends then BF at our NF at 4-5am. I read that as long as you don't 'feel' the alch, you should be fine. So just don't get tipsy:)