Author Topic: Extended Nursing Support Thread Part 5  (Read 284580 times)

Offline Fiver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
Re: Extended Nursing Support Thread Part 5
« Reply #195 on: August 19, 2013, 19:55:02 pm »
I used to get DH to get her up in the morning and get her breakfast while I was in the shower when we were dropping the morning feed.  He got to deal with the NWs for a while too ;)
*** Amanda ***

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #196 on: August 19, 2013, 20:13:20 pm »
What if you told her there was no milk in the boobies and she would have it in a cup as she is a big girl now? Or is that too sudden?

We also got DH to take him downstairs to distract in the morning.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline bluebell568

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #197 on: August 22, 2013, 20:16:03 pm »
I thought that sounded far too sudden but yesterday I told her that Mummy's milk had run out and I gave her a brand new Thomas the Tank beaker (she's really into Thomas at the moment) for her milk and she seemed quite happy. She mentioned it again this morning but I was able to give her the beaker and then distract her with a book. Maybe this isn't going to be as hard as I thought!
I do feel quite sad that our breastfeeding journey is over. We had a really shaky start and it took huge determination (and stubborness) to keep going in the early days. It took 4 months to achieve pain free nursing so to reach 2 years is a big achievement.

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #198 on: August 22, 2013, 20:35:18 pm »
Congratulations!!! Awesome that you've made it so far when i'm sure you had many 'I can't do this!' moments in the start!!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #199 on: August 22, 2013, 20:49:09 pm »
Yay!

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #200 on: August 22, 2013, 20:56:19 pm »
You've done so well :)
*** Amanda ***

Offline nona

• Showing Appreciation 95
« Reply #201 on: September 08, 2013, 03:15:59 am »
well done!

i'm torn btwn weaning and not...

i'm only nursing 1-2x a day (am and after nap). she is actually fine if i bring her a cup of milk instead (if i'm in a hurry - eg taking DS to school). however, she seems more clingy if i don't do it then it is hard for me to do anything. does that sound normal? i will ask her sometimes if she wants milk in a cup or mommy's milk and usually she wants both but LOVES drinking her milk out of a cup and usually wants another cup of milk AFTEr nursing.

with my DS i was more actively weaning but it seemed easier with him bc he wasn't so clingy. (ironically my DD is more independent in general).
heather

Offline bluebell568

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #202 on: September 08, 2013, 10:23:46 am »
I really thought that the first thing in the morning feed would be the easiest to give up and that dd would object much more to stopping feeding to sleep at nap time and bed time but in fact she loves her beaker at these times and hasn't asked for mummy milk once. But first thing in the morning she really wants mummy milk and is still asking every day. Someone suggested making sure I gave her lots of cuddles first thing in the morning as it may be the closeness she wants rather than the milk so now I say "I haven't got any milk but I've got lots of cuddles" and give her a big cuddle. That seems to help she is usually fine to have her milk in a beaker then and isn't as clingy. Perhaps making a little time for extra cuddles in the morning might help your little one too?

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #203 on: September 08, 2013, 19:46:41 pm »
Yeah I'd say Colby was more clingy when we didn't nurse in the morning anymore. It didn't last that long though so I expect if you stuck with it she would relax with he clinginess too.

Offline nona

« Reply #204 on: September 08, 2013, 19:50:00 pm »
thanks! i feel so rushed in the morning :/. dd is a later sleeper so i'm always waking her at the last minute adn then practically throwing her in the stroller to walk DS to school. sounds horrible but if she was up & toddling aroudn we would never get out of here on time! i'll work on organizing my morning better.
heather

Offline bluebell568

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #205 on: September 08, 2013, 21:05:35 pm »
How far do you have to walk ds to school? Could you use a carrier so dd gets close contact while you walk. Or maybe wear her in a sling while you get ready to go out. I have an Action Baby Carrier and as long as I get dd in a really good position and do it up properly it is very comfy to wear her in it. They do a toddler version for older children but we are still comfotable with the baby version and dd is 2. Just an idea, I know baby wearing isn't for everyone.

Offline nona

« Reply #206 on: September 09, 2013, 20:00:55 pm »
not opposed but i doubt she would cooperate! i think i have an ergo somewhere.
heather

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #207 on: September 09, 2013, 20:43:37 pm »
the ergo is great for toddler wearing- perhaps try a back carry? She might like that more?
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #208 on: September 10, 2013, 09:59:03 am »
Heather, Audrey is exactly the same as your DD. More independent, but really clingy if she doesn't BF. Although to her BF = love. When I suggest she has a cup of milk instead of BF in the morning, she cries as if to say "WHY DON'T YOU LOVE ME ANY MORE!!"

Good luck with the carrier. I don't think I could use one with A at all now, she is 15kg.

Offline momma.bear

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #209 on: September 15, 2013, 19:12:54 pm »
I never would have dreamed of finding myself joining this thread. My DS just turned a year, and I had always said I'd be done nursing him at that point. Only because I thought it was weird to nurse longer than a year. But it's not. He's still my baby, and I know that my milk is better for him than any other milk. So we're continuing to BF, I'm trying to wean it to WU and BT, but sometimes he'll wake up 45 minutes into his nap, and a quick BF will get him to calm down and go back to sleep. And... he's starting to want NFings again. He was a nightmare with this a few months back, nursing every 2 hours all night long. Then he went to my parents for 5 days, and that fixed him. But he seems to be going down that path again. Not nearly as bad, but if I don't feed him, he doesn't settle. Any tips/ideas? I don't want it to go back to NFings, but it's so hard not to. Lately he's been wanting a feeding around 5am, and then when he's up for the day at 6:30 he won't take a feed, which is fine, but it'd be really nice to just push that 5am feeding to 6:30!!