Author Topic: What am I doing wrong ?? Please help.  (Read 1241 times)

Offline Jusiahsmom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
What am I doing wrong ?? Please help.
« on: June 20, 2013, 17:03:49 pm »
Hi I am so greatful for this site. It's amazing and so are all you mommies!!
I'm returning back to work on Monday and for the lat week have had issues with my DS on easy schedule. We been doing this for about 4 weeks and it has been a life saver.  I Went from sleeping 3 hours max to sleeping at least 5hrs. It started off wonderful but for the last week DS has been a handful with his bedtime routine. It's always taken me about 2hours from start of bath till he's actually asleep which I need help with also. He's a tummy sleeper (no other way for him to sleep, tried EVERYTHING!) so I rock him to sleep until he's sleepy place h down n pay him until he's asleep which has been working for the most part. Was waiting a few weeks to get him away from props but just had a step back.

MY PROBLEM: #1 when he goes to sleep now he wakes up 3x before he's out for the night(5hour sleep max). Not sure why he's waking up. I try to pay him back to sleep but doesn't work. I have to start bedtime routine all over again and it's soo tiring. I stay work next week and getting totally freaked out. One thing: he does seem like he's teething. He's drooling all over the place white gums sucking on his pacifier fiercely, n I think he loses it n that's why he wakes up those 3 x..he struggles to get on his knees and and tries to kick his legs back like a horse.. It's the cutest thing only I'm too tired to deal with it 3x every night!
 Any advice ??

#2 he wakes up about 5 hrs after bed time which is awesome! BUT once he feeds I can't put him back into bed bc 20 mins later he's fussing moving head n body from side to side n unsettled. He's a reflux baby so I need to burp him but once I start burping him he's up and it takes me 1.5 hrs to get him back to sleep again. I'm going out of my mind thinking about work n dealing with my DS in the middle of the night.
Any advice. I've tried keeping him uprigh n giving grip water to avoid burping him but doesn't seem to work.

Please any advice would be of great help!!

His daytime routine is fine for the most part. We start easy about 8ish. Treat his 630 am waking as a nightfeeding for now since I'm home. When I go back to work should I make this his first E?

He eats every three hours,  3 naps no longer than 2 hrs. Only issue is sometimes his last nap falls at 5 n he would sleeps til 6. His cat nap falls from 7ish-8 and bath time at 8:30
Should I cut that cat nap out ??

Offline lily_layne

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 65
Re: What am I doing wrong ?? Please help.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 20:45:32 pm »
How old is your LO?

It sounds like he may be OT by bedtime, causing the wake-ups before he's out for good.  It could also be causing him to be unsettled after his feed.

Could you post your day in EAS format so that it's easier to see when his naps are?
Ex: WU and E: 8
A: 8-10
S: 10, etc.

DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline Jusiahsmom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 21:57:28 pm »
Hi, thanks so much for taking your time to respond

Yesterday  schedule went like this:
E at 8am
A for 45mins-1 hr
S 9 very easy to put down for nap and sleeps entire 1.5

E 11
A  1 hr the most
S 12-130

E 1:45
A 1 hr
S 2:45- 3:15 started again with the moving around n lost pacifer n couldn't settle for a bit

S 400-440
E 440
A 40 mins
S 510-530 woke up again from catnap
S 550-620 catnap
 E 700
A bath at 8
E Bedtime 9 pm. routine -- takes me an hour to put to sleep
N hes waking up about 3x before 11pm

E 2-3am night feeding
A- 7-8
 Was working for 2 weeks n all fell apart,
Believe he's teething bc excessive drooling n excessive sucking of pacifier but it's been over a week.

Offline Jusiahsmom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 21:58:49 pm »
Oh n he will be 12 weeks this Saturday

Offline lily_layne

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 02:08:36 am »
Was working for 2 weeks n all fell apart,
Things change so fast when they're that young that this often happens.  You just get the hang of it and it changes!

The excessive drooling is really common at that age.  I was told that it's part of the teething process but doesn't necessarily mean any teeth are coming soon but if you suspect his gums are sore you could try some meds to see if it helps.

You're day looks really great.  I think that he might be getting OT from the long A time between the catnap and BT.  It might be worth trying to start BT quite a bit earlier - maybe 7:30, so that he's asleep by 8.  Right now, his nights are pretty short (10 hours) so he's probably waking up tired so that might be why he can only do about an hour of A time.  Once you get BT worked out, he may be able to stay awake longer before each nap.

Is he giving you any tired signs between the catnap and BT?  Ear pulling? Hair pulling or head scratching? Yawning? Eye rubbing?  How is he behaving when you try to put him to sleep?

Does he keep the paci in his mouth the whole time while sleeping or does he spit it out once he's asleep?
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline Buttonbobs

• Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 06:35:10 am »
Hi there, I agree with lily_layne that it seems he might be OT by BT and that you should try and pull BT a bit earlier. Considering he is managing an hour A time for most of the day after a full nap, you wouldn't want to try longer than that after a less restorative CN. It's probably taking you a long time to get him down because he is Ot. Could you try to have him sleep nearer 7.30/8?

Your third nap about that started at 2.45 was an OT nap most likely as it was a 1hr15min A from WU from his previous nap. Can you make that A time more like the others - 1hr? You may then get a longer nap which will help you keep BT less OT.
~ Naomi ~

Offline Jusiahsmom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 17:37:08 pm »
Is he giving you any tired signs between the catnap and BT?  Ear pulling? Hair pulling or head scratching? Yawning? Eye rubbing?  How is he behaving when you try to put him to sleep?
yes he gives me all the signs and I rush to bathe him give h his last bottle and put home to sleep. Sometimes his catnap falls Btwn 630-745. Should I just cut the catnap out if falls that late?

When he's feeding he knocks out bc he is so tired but by the time  burping him he gets all crabby and resist to be put to sleep. I finally put him down and up he goes

Does he keep the paci in his mouth the whole time while sleeping or does he spit it out once he's asleep?

He spits it out once he's in a deep sleep but late night he screams n I place it in his mouth a few times n he goes right back to sleep. But if I didn't he would wake up.
Is he using this as a prop?

Offline lily_layne

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 01:45:00 am »
Your third nap about that started at 2.45 was an OT nap most likely as it was a 1hr15min A from WU from his previous nap. Can you make that A time more like the others - 1hr? You may then get a longer nap which will help you keep BT less OT.
This is a great idea.

All those tired signs mean he's definitely OT before BT.  If you can, try to get him to bed before he starts giving lots of tired signs.  I would probably cut out the catnap or do a very short one if it's later than 6. 
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline Jusiahsmom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 20:04:24 pm »
Ok so getting him to bed earlier has helped with the continuous getting up at bedtime but for the last two days my DS will only take his mornin nap and refuses to nap the rest of the day. I've tried everything from rocking n pacifier swaddling I even let him CIO for 2 mins but he refuses to sleep.  I'm at my wits end with him.. Does anyone kno what I'm doing wrong now?

Offline Buttonbobs

• E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2013, 20:35:21 pm »
Hi hon, the BW believed that CIO breaks the bond of trust between mother and baby, please don't leave him to cry, he's crying because he needs you. Have a read here if you want to know more:
Cry it out (CIO): 10 reasons why it is not for us

He's still so young, LOs are not born knowing how to settle to sleep independently and we have tools to use to help them learn over time. Have you developed a wind down routine that you use to help tell your LO it's time for sleep? You can use the same routine for winding down for naps and for BT, adapted a little. Do you swaddle? Do you use shh/pat?

Is your LO is any pain or discomfort?

Finally, would you like us to take a look at your day in EASY format so we can see if there is a routine issue that might help?
~ Naomi ~

Offline Jusiahsmom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013, 21:19:00 pm »
Oh feel so horrible. I don't want to do any of that to my baby.
Most of the time he's crying on his own bc he can't stand to take naps. While I'm rocking or shh/pat but nothing seems to work. He starts crying n crying and doesn't stop.

I'm working now so he's staying with Grandma and she is trying to follow the 3 hour easy I once had but it's not working. Yesterday he napped 1x for 1 hr and today no naps. I  am putting h in bed @ 800 and he is waking at 3 and 6  am for motnf and up for the day by 900. So that's not bad but I still want to get h down for naps. He's exhausted with tired eyes probably OT but not sure what to do anymore. Any suggestions???
He's not in pain from what I can tell.

Sent from my iPhone

Offline lily_layne

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2013, 01:39:22 am »
(((hugs)))  I wouldn't feel terrible about leaving him for 2 minutes - that's a lot different than the 2 hours that some people leave their babies crying.  I found with DD at that age that she often had a good holler before a nap.  I would put her down and stay by her crib for a minute or 2 while she cried (I didn't talk or pat) and then started patting and giving her the paci.  I tried for ages to sh/pat and paci as soon as I put her down so she didn't cry but I was never able to get her to sleep that way.  Loud white noise (louder than his crying) might also help.  I often used a hair dryer for DD when she was really worked up and then switched it to white noise on the iPod when she got quieter.

If he's really OT, it's probably best to keep his A times short for a few days and if you can, get him to bed well before 8.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline Buttonbobs

• E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2013, 05:57:53 am »
Like lily said you don't need to feel bad about the crying, as long as you're there for him it's just his way of telling you he needs something, probably that he's tired but it's hard for him to get to sleep. White noise can really help, but also if you find the crying really hard then maybe try some earplugs for you to help keep you calm so you can be there for him but not be so upset by the crying, which is after all designed to make you feel terrible so you'll go to him.

Hugs...

You say he's not in any discomfort, your night time looks pretty good - what is your daytime EASY, if you post we can have a look at it. Xxx
~ Naomi ~