Author Topic: 5 1/2 month old seems to only want to sleep in her cot....  (Read 679 times)

Offline Jbla17

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
5 1/2 month old seems to only want to sleep in her cot....
« on: April 20, 2014, 10:58:47 am »
Hi all, I have never posted here before but have found a lot of the advice here very helpful and reassuring. I discovered the EASY routine when my daughter was about 6 weeks old and she has responded very well to it. She has pretty consistently slept through since about 8 weeks old, the odd hiccup here and there, has given up night feeds herself (bottle fed) and seems to pushing out her early waking now to a bit later 6:30 as to 5-5:30. My question at the moment is in creating this routine for her which she responds so well to it seems she also does not want to sleep anywhere but her cot. My partner wants me and her to be more flexible and go away camping, visiting relatives and the like but I am terrified of what will happen to her sleep. We have just had an afternoon at my parents place and she was due for a catnap. I put her down and she panicked and got very upset which is quite unlike her. I haven't put her down for a nap elsewhere for a fair whiłe as I tend to just go out during her awake times. I know that this problem is my doing I guess but I'm loss as to what to do!! I am prepared to sacrifice a bit to ensure she gets her rest and my partner and his family I think don't understand..... Any insight or experience in this would be so helpful. Thanks in advance :-)

Offline Kellyjs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
Re: 5 1/2 month old seems to only want to sleep in her cot....
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 17:31:00 pm »
Hi,

I had to reply as we've got exactly the same thing!! DD is 9.5mo but I could've written your post myself not so long ago.

We have had to go away for wknds as my parents live quite far away. All I can say is they do settle down. For example, we are at my parents atm. We try and travel in the car during nap times so she's not so tired when we arrive. Then hopefully she'll settle enough to actually nap. Doesn't always happen, don't get me wrong, but I always try to stick to the routine as close as possible. We always do the bedtime routine same as at home. I do bring her sleeping bag and bunny so it still smells like home.

As it's only for the wknd, I try not to stress too much but tbh I feel exactly the same as you and am paranoid about her sleep. As you routine works well, I'm sure your LO will feel tired when she's supposed to (a longer WD might be needed as it is here as it's so exciting being around other people!). If not, I'm sure nighttime sleep will be fine as it's not a long term OT and start again the next day.

I've always found that things go straight back to normal as soon as we return home (or at least by the next day!).

I hope this helps, please don't be too upset if she doesn't nap well elsewhere straight away. We are on day 2 at my parents and she's taken the longest nap EVER this morning  ::)

Xx

Offline larren

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 18:17:57 pm »
Hi mama! My oldest is very routine-driven but as long as we stick with the same routine, WD, good night phrases, etc, he's fine. He also has a lovey and we always bring his iPod with his white noise so it sounds like home too.

Offline Jbla17

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 05:58:50 am »
Thank you so much ladies.... I know I need to not stress so much about it. I guess we can only try things out and as you said just get back to normal routine as soon as I can. She is pretty easy going and happy so I don't see why she wouldn't. Thank you for your suggestions too :-)