Author Topic: Anyone want to talk about the 2-1 transition #27  (Read 64929 times)

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 585
Anyone want to talk about the 2-1 transition #27
« on: July 24, 2014, 09:48:28 am »
Continued from here:

Anyone want to talk about the 2-1 transition #26

Please remember mods are now deleting any posts meant simply to m@rk your spot in a thread, in order to keep the BW boards as neat as possible so just keep chatting as you were. Thanks.

Offline MarciaMSPT

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
    • DIY Home Health Physical Therapy
Re: Anyone want to talk about the 2-1 transition #27
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 16:31:41 pm »
Update from my end... everything seems to be going well... I've been so conditioned to expect fussing and such when I put my LO down and had read over the months of other LO's have "cot parties."  I've been smiling today as I put my LO down and heard him cooing and making happy noises for about 10 min before all became silent... everything is possible!

The NW we are having at 13 months now is the occasional 5-10 second fuss and then quiet again... it was suggested that NW within the first 3 hours of BT could indicate OT... but these seem to be happening about 2am ish... BT for him is 8ish.

My little guy is on the verge of walking independently so I imagine that his nap and his BT might change a tad as he begins his ultra marathon!

With God all things are possible!

Offline lauradj

• Showing Appreciation 61
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 22:11:45 pm »
Right, I need some assistance/clarification ladies!  Pushing T's 'A' time has gone just fine.  He's now going to down for his first nap at 11:00am and as of yesterday, I no longer cap it.  I'm just letting him wake up whenever which, I think, is what Tracy suggested.  Naturally, he's still waking after about an hour because that's what I've been training him to do for the last two weeks. 
So......assuming T starts to take longer late-morning naps at some point in the next week, do I give him a cat nap in the afternoon to see him through to bed time?  1.5 hr nap mid-day and 1 hr in the afternoon?  He's getting 12 hours of sleep at night, literally on the nose.  He goes to bed at 6:45 and he wakes up at 6:45, it's bizarre. 
Any suggestions would be great.  I feel like Tracy has left the implementation of the long mid-day nap to each Mom.  She gets you through to 11am and then you're flying solo!

Offline babybarr

• Showing Appreciation 224
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 20:36:33 pm »
Buster we're on pretty much 1.5hr daysleep here. Anymore and we find less night sleep. I guess it depends how you want to even out the sleep.

We're still in a muddle. Mostly one nap but occasionally two. The two naps just seem to cause issues but they can't quite do the longa times and won't do long naps!
LAURA xx

Offline lauradj

• Showing Appreciation 61
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 22:43:27 pm »
Ugh, sounds like this ^^ is about to become my world.  T finally slept for 1.5 today when he went down for his nap at 11am, woo hoo!!!  However, he was so tired/messed up by the nap time change, that I put him down for his second nap at 3:15 instead of 3:30.  I'll have to wake him at 4:15 I suppose.  Poor little guy, he gets so messed up so easily.  I definitely cannot move any faster than a time change a week.

Offline babybarr

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 05:24:50 am »
Well we had got our morning nap to noon BUT we're going backwards now as we keep getting ews.  I'm finding more and more that they need less sleep during the day than I thought and also catnaps in the afternoon really seem to mess things up now - long to settle to bed and short nights.

Today they were up at 5.30am and so I'll do an early nap say 10am and then a 30min nap at some point (hopefully as close to 2pm as I can)  I'm guessing by keep giving the catnap I'm enforcing the two naps and also short nights.  I remember with ds1 we ended up going cold turkey as he just kept refusing the pm nap but he was much older than these two.

What are you girls doing when it comes to ews or short nights?
LAURA xx

Offline Sarah - Enfys' Mum

• Showing Appreciation 76
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 05:54:28 am »
Set nap time and bedtime. It's like my motto with this kid;). But it seems to work. Nap time is 12, bedtime 7. I wake her at 2 if she's still asleep.

Offline babybarr

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 06:21:30 am »
Will she go to noon if she wakes early or do you keep her busy?  I mean my boys will do a long A time but J nearly fell asleep in his lunch yesterday - plus they don't always do a long nap like M will!
LAURA xx

Offline Sarah - Enfys' Mum

• Showing Appreciation 76
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 11:00:41 am »
I have no problem generally, we normally do our going out in the mornings and that keeps her busy and entertained.

Offline MarciaMSPT

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 17:03:18 pm »
Ah... the muddle... and ever changing!  I always capped the 2nd nap to preserver an 8pm BT... now the only time we do a second nap is if W wakes from first nap before 1:30 BUT... that is now changing as well since he is not going down now till 12:45ish (from WU at 7am)  EBT is a no-no here... W won't have it at all!  So, if for some reason he needs a little boost in the pm... I put him the car and drive about 5mph on our gravel road and let him sleep for 5-10 minutes...but the trick is waiting long enough after his first nap to be sure you're not driving for an hour just to get him to fall asleep for 10 minutes!  AND not doing it too late that BT doesn't happen.

I agree with someone who said that a set nap time and set BT seems to work pretty well although... again, for us that is changing.  I can't run errands in the morning (and hour from anything close!)  and I've found that he just goes right back to sleep so I run errands when I can leave about 10:30 - know he'll sleep about 40 min in the car and then I end my errands (whether I'm done or not!) about 3:5 hours later knowing that he'll sleep again in the car...

oh the joys...one day (too soon) he'll be calling me from college at midnight with girlfriend woes  :(  So, trying to take all this in stride!  I do agree that keeping them occupied is tough for such a long time!  For what it's worth... we do some workout time (he is in the playpen then) take care of our chickens and dogs, work out in the garden, I sit in the passenger seat of the car and read while he sits in the drivers seat loving the steering wheel!, we have blanket time where he plays on the floor, walker time, high chair time with a book or toy while I'm cooking, playtime with mommy and daddy in the evening, time out on the deck, piano time... I practice he bangs with me, I take him for a 4 wheeler ride about every other day and we try to find a neighbor on our gravel road who is home to visit, he loves to sit outside with me on the trampoline.  He'll be walking very soon, so not expecting some of these to last very long!

Godspeed!

Offline babybarr

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 17:55:40 pm »
Sarah my boys will fall asleep in the car or buggy if I go out in the morning!  We'd been fairly rigid with our times but now everything a bit to pot. H is a bit poorly now too which means J will get it shortly - they nick each others dummies.

Marcia does he only sleep in the car?
LAURA xx

Offline Kellyjs

• Showing Appreciation 80
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 18:12:44 pm »
Sorry all, I've missed all these!

Hey Laura. Early on in the transition, we did long am, short pm. But recently if we had EW I did a quick 10-15mins CN at 9.30am, then she managed to get to her usual nap time of 12.30pm ok.

I'm back to set nap and BT though because I think me playing around with 2 naps only confused her again. We were down to 10hr nights. Pushed her through for the last week even with the short nights, capped the nap at 2hrs to make BT less of a faff. She was taking up to an hour to go to sleep! I had to pull out all the stops to keep her going. Luckily the weather was nice for the last week so we spent a lot of time outside and with the neighbours kids which helped her not get so grotty.

Lauradj - you'll find the nap will lengthen over time and with an increase in A. Stick with it.. Sounds like you're doing great! If O refused the second nap, I just did a slightly earlier BT. Around 20mins earlier to make up for the time she missed.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 18:18:14 pm by Kellyjs »

Offline MarciaMSPT

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2014, 01:05:45 am »
BabyBarr...

No, I only take him for a short 5-10 min nap in the car - it's just easier... I can time it almost perfectly and he wakes as soon as I stop the car in the drive way... makes me feel better too...since I didn't really have to wake him :)  He just woke up right?!  :):)  It may sound like a hassle but it's more of a hassle to try to put him down before he's ready...

The car basically lets me manipulate his sleep time if it's needed in the afternoon, but so far, it's been several weeks.

Offline babybarr

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2014, 20:06:00 pm »
Yeah I can use the car too I reckon the problem I then have is they don't like going down for a second nap! When we do a long am one the second is usually in the buggy. However I'm thinking the same as you Kelly. Two naps is not helping. Today we pushed them through and I think we'll have to keep doing so else we're getting 10hr nights and j won't go back to sleep. H still wakes in the night anyway! Mind you both are still cutting new teeth and have so much going on developmentally too which doesn't help.
LAURA xx

Offline MarciaMSPT

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2014, 01:08:22 am »
I agree BabyBarr...  I ONLY do a buggy nap IF necessary - and it's been a long while.  I got to the point where I had to push W on through to get him used to a longer A time before BT.  He does not do EBT (yet:)  some evenings are a bear... others are glorious...

Same boat with teeth and development stuff going on!  Wow... can he just slow down a bit?!?!

Something I DON'T get... Sunday he woke at 1:30, Monday he woke at 2:30 and Today woke at 3:30 (car nap coming home from errands).  All three days he has gone down close to 8pm for BT just exhausted... just stumps me!  Thought this evening would be divine... and late BT, but NOOOOOO  grumpy and BT right on time 8PM...  go figure...nice to know W is becoming more and more flexible!