Author Topic: Anyone want to talk about the 2-1 transition #27  (Read 64998 times)

Offline tinydancer

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Anyone want to talk about the 2-1 transition #27
« Reply #435 on: October 25, 2016, 08:39:02 am »
Hello! I just wanted to say I've found comfort in reading back on the recent posts here!

My LO is just about 15mo, and had been showing signs that he was ready to go down to one nap... But no I am not so sure! We've had about a week of NW, EW and short naps. Every night I live in hope he will get back on track - ha!

Tomorrow is a new day, right?!!

Thanks for sharing your stories :)

Offline ecwinters

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #436 on: October 25, 2016, 19:25:22 pm »
Just been catching up on some posts...

ScottishMummy - I reckon we'll have the monitor on until 2 and a half as well!  DH wants to turn it off and leave our door open though...not sure I'm quite ready for that yet though.

Not sure I can really give anyone advice on the 2-1 except that the only thing that worked for us was just to fix on a routine that works most of the time and stick with it!  We keep to the same getting up time, nap time and bed time every day now - some days DS naps for 2 hours, other days it's less than 1.5 hours - but at least it takes the worry out of 'whether I should have put him down later/earlier' etc. etc.  Generally he settles well for nap time and bed time - he does get a bit OT sometimes but at 19 months we are well beyond 2 naps so we are just sticking to it. 

The only thing which does bother me is that his total sleep in 24 hours seems to be around 12.5 at the moment.  He used to get about 13 hours when we were doing the transition - but now he's more settled it seems to have dropped.  I'm not happy that this is enough - he seems OK most of the time - but it doesn't seem that much sleep.  He's always been on the slightly low side though so maybe it's OK.

Now stressing about the stupid clocks here!  Having worked so hard to get a WU of after 6am we've now go to do it all over again!!!  I have discovered that DS has a very good body clock (which is probably why he likes the set timings so much) but shifting him even 15 minutes takes about 1-2 weeks for his wake up time in the morning to adjust!

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #437 on: October 26, 2016, 08:33:26 am »
We are on 12.5hrs, too. I just thought his sleep needs had dropped?

I think we are pretty much set on one nap now, although the time varies a bit. Just in time for him to start nursery, which is handy :).
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline labrodyk

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #438 on: October 26, 2016, 09:12:29 am »
you ladies give me hope but we're not there yet...

Today our day was the following;

WU: 6-6.30?
Nap 1: 10.30; 10.40-12.10
Nap 2: 4.20; 4.40-5.00
BT: 7.30; asleep 8.20

WU: 6.30 but ? could be way earlier
Nap 1: 10.40; 10.50 - 12.13
Nap 2: 4.00; 4.20 - 4.45
BT: 7.30; asleep 8.10.
^^ went down positively screaming before laying and sucking her thumb.

Unfortunately we've just come off a week of antibiotics only to find that her ears are actually worse so we are starting 2 days of oral steroids tomorrow!!! It's meant to cause hyperactivity so do I push her to one nap?

She's really tired in the morning and I don't know whether I should be putting her down later/earlier but this late afternoon thing just isn't working anymore.... Should I go to set naps?!?!

Offline labrodyk

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #439 on: October 27, 2016, 08:59:50 am »
yep, definitely over this now...

WU: 6.30 (?)
Nap 1: 10.20; 10.30 - 12.00
Nap 2: 4.00; cried going down. not asleep until 4.40. woke at 4.50ish
BT: 7.10; screaming, wouldn't settle but more of an OT cry and not happy. Got her up and offered pain relief and cuddles and put back to bed. Mantra cried. Asleep 8.00

Is the afternoon nap too late? Should I bring morning nap earlier, even if it's 40 minutes? Cut morning nap or just set 1 nap and try to make to 6pm bedtime regardless of nap length?

Offline choc

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #440 on: October 27, 2016, 09:38:50 am »
Hugs x How old is she now? How long have you been battling the second nap for now?!
Gemma

Offline labrodyk

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #441 on: October 27, 2016, 11:27:42 am »
She's just over 1 (12mo on 7th Oct). aaaaaaages but it's been worse the last few weeks Choc :( 

She was SO upset tonight I felt so sorry for her.
My biggest concern is getting her to 5hrs A in the morning... It's likely that she will crash out and not sleep much longer than 2 sleep cycles or 1hr20min for her!  Then I'm in trouble for bedtime aren't I!?

Offline choc

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #442 on: October 27, 2016, 13:17:13 pm »
We just stuck with it. Since his 1st birthday I set the nap because I couldn't be dealing with the tooing and froing anymore! I stuck with it through even the short naps and to be honest I stuck with a 7pm Bt too. It took a month to fall into place.
Gemma

Offline Scottishmummy

• Showing Appreciation 47
« Reply #443 on: October 27, 2016, 20:01:24 pm »
It's a tough one. I think I kept CN too long woth DD and that's what gave us EW for months. It took her to start waking around 4am before I dropped it and pushed to 1 set nap & set BT.

But DS needed the CN until he was 18mo (which I think is why we hung on so long this time) as he got v OT after a few days without it.

I think that until A's ear infection resolves, it's very tricky to make decisions about her routine. I think I'd keep trying for the short PM CN for now & accept later BT with it, but if she won't take it, go for EBT.  That way you're following her lead and takes some of the stress on you out of it.

"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline labrodyk

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #444 on: October 28, 2016, 01:45:50 am »
Thanks SM!  DS would get SO overtired so I'm really nervous and clutching to that second nap but I can't be putting her down for a nap at 4 only to have her sleep at 5pm. She seems fine now so I think any pain etc has resolved. I did a nap at 11 and again she cried going down and barely slept.

Wu: ?
Nap: 11.03: 11.15-12.30. Cried when I put down. I left her for 20 minutes but she didn't fall back to sleep.
Bt: I guess 6pm is the earliest I can put her down?

ETA: She was very fussy in the car around 3/3.30pm but wouldn't fall asleep. I put her down for bed at 5.55pm but she wouldn't let me cuddle her and positively screamed when I put her in her cot, only to cry out randomly until after 6.30pm. She fell asleep for perhaps 10 minutes and then was WIDE awake and angry. I did all sorts of apoping; even getting up and giving more milk and cuddles. She was WIDE awake but went back down again, cried briefly and then finally fell asleep just after 7.30pm.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 10:18:09 am by labrodyk »

Offline Scottishmummy

« Reply #445 on: October 28, 2016, 13:03:23 pm »
Maybe set nap and BT would be worth a try,  especially if she is setting her BT!  Maybe try a nap at 11.30 and BT at 6.30 or even 7?

We've got a 2 nap day today as DD fell asleep in buggy around 10 for about 10mins. She went for main nap at 1.15.  I think she get exhausted from nursery on Thurs and often needs a little Friday catch up sleep. At least I hope that's what it is & we've not set ourselves up for a wkend of EW as it's also clock change tomorrow night  :(
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 13:06:00 pm by Scottishmummy »
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline labrodyk

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #446 on: October 29, 2016, 07:39:11 am »
Hi SM! I hope things went okay with the EW - how did she go with the clock change?

How does set nap and BT work when it's a short nap? She really, really, really struggled today. The nap was okay but broken and annoyingly bedtime was stupidly early. I asked my husband what the time was just before I popped her in the bath and he said almost 6, so I thought brilliant. time to calm down, get dressed etc. Lo and behold, I leave Audrey's room and it's 5.40pm! GRRRRRRR...... I don't know what the night holds for us but she was absolutely shattered all day and completely miserable so I'm REALLY nervous that I'm doing the wrong thing, and I know it's only day 2!

WU: ?
Nap: 11.30; 11.35/40 - 1.15
^ Screamed and cried going down and cried out after 20 minutes
BT: 5.40; 6.35!!!
^ Screamed and cried when PD. Kept siting up, moving around, pulling herself up and crying intermittently. I know she took ages but could she be super overtired because she really looked like she couldn't last any longer :(

She has just started walking and taking heaps of steps today, could this be the problem and I should attempt 2 naps again?

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline labrodyk

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #447 on: October 30, 2016, 09:18:31 am »
We had 2 naps today. Looked down during our first week back at church and she was fast asleep in the pram at 10.20ish! Her morning wake up she was crying all morning and then woke after 30 minutes crying from her pm nap so not sure where to go from here

Sunday 30-Oct
WU: 6.35 / 12hrs
Nap: 10.25 - 11.00. Pram at church.
Nap: 2.25; 2.40-3.13.
^ woke crying and cried for about 5 minutes then tried to fall back asleep but couldn't.
BT: 6.52; 7.25 asleep

Monday 31-Oct
Wu: 6.00  /  10.5hrs
Nap: 10.10; 10.20-10 40. Woke crying. Fell back to sleep until 1.00!
BT: 6.00; screamed but was asleep by 6.30pm

NW: 11.15-12.18 crying. Offering pain meds,  cuddles, patting.
Husband held her for an hour and put back to bed asleep at 1.18am.

Tuesday 1-Nov
Wu: ? Closer to 7am?
Nap: 10.30; 10.45-11.20 then dozed off and on until 11.50
Nap: 3.10; 3.40-4.12. Woke crying.
BT: 7.00: not asleep until after 8pm

Wednesday 2-Nov
WU: 6.00/6.30am
Nap: 10.00; 10.10-1.05
^cried all morning. Clingy and upset.
BT: 5.55pm. Asleep 6.20 after WI/WO as she was screaming and standing in portacot.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 12:48:43 pm by labrodyk »

Offline Scottishmummy

« Reply #448 on: November 03, 2016, 20:21:44 pm »
Looks like the messy stage of the 2-1 with 2 nap days leaving her UT at BT and some 1 nap days with OT!  Not much you can do but carry on and she will even out and get used to doing 1 nap more consistently eventually

Xxx
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline Johnnyha65

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #449 on: November 03, 2016, 22:33:47 pm »
Hey ladies we are still here muddling through not sure what's going on with M but his A times are shot and he's slept 13hrs last night, we are two weeks post imms so not sure if it's that he's still very clingy and whiney but his speech has come on this week and I think we're on the cusp of walking. Yesterday he woke at 7:30, after having milk at 5.45am was grumpy as hell and went back to bed by 8:45! I woke him at 20 and he did a short nap which I think was OT from 2-2:30 bedtime was 6:30 as I don't like going to early as he doesn't tack generally, woke at 6am had milk and then woke at 8, back down at 11:15 woke 3 hrs later and wouldn't take a 2nd nap so bed again at 6:30 I'm hoping the shorter day compensates, he's also barely eating and cutting a tooth I think so lots going on I trying not to stress.

Looks like you're stuck in that situation as SM says LB, one nap not enough and two too much, I tend to just push through now if he's refusing a second nap, we can only offer it and hope that they take it.

Are you out the other side SM?