Author Topic: 8 week old keeps waking at 3:30am every night  (Read 724 times)

Offline kmehawkeye

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
8 week old keeps waking at 3:30am every night
« on: July 24, 2014, 18:26:22 pm »
Our 8 week old follows EASY well. She eats at 7, 10, 1, 3:30, 5:30, 7:30 and dream feed at 10pm.  She wakes at 3:30am every night and has done so for several weeks.  Does anyone know how we can change this? If I want her to follow the EASY schedule then we only get 7 DAY feeds in each day but if we fit in 8 she seems to go all night.  The problem with that is that seems to start a bad habit of feeding her too often especially when she is thriving at 13lbs.  (We are breast feeding but doing one formula bottle at the 7:30 feed). HELP!  She has made it through the night before and that was when we were cramming in feedings- there must be a better way to get her through that 3:30am feeding to the morning?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 18:51:07 pm by kmehawkeye »

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: 8 week old keeps waking at 3:30am every night
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 19:00:07 pm »
Honestly, I'd just feed her at 3.30am.  She's only 8 weeks!  And if she is mainly breastfed it is totally normal for her to have a night feed or even two in addition to the dreamfeed.  STTN is never a one-way process and in the early months we'd always suggest to feed at night if it has been at least as long as she'd do in the day ie 3h since the last feed.  The fact she's doing 10pm to 3.30am is great, a 5h stretch is considered STTN at this stage anyway :). Give her time and I'm sure that feed will gradually stretch out until she makes it right through to morning again. 

Offline rachaelcole

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 20:47:10 pm »
I agree-I'd feed! One night waking at that age is great :-) plus they have so many growth spurts that she may well be hungry 😌

Offline Sarah - Enfys' Mum

• Showing Appreciation 76
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 06:35:47 am »
You're doing great! 

Offline kmehawkeye

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 00:13:36 am »

Thanks- I am still struggling with the feed times in the evening but I will follow her lead for now and leave things alone.  I assume once she has that worked out she will get past the 3:30am feed.  Its hard not to compare to my others but I will let her do her thing!

I appreciate the comments.

Offline lauradj

• Showing Appreciation 61
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 03:55:03 am »
Although it's almost impossible, try not to compare your baby to another.  She's going to do her thing, even if it's not in your 'manual'  :D.  I agree with all pp, she's doing just fine!