Author Topic: BGB transition not going too well  (Read 829 times)

Offline Mrshoughton

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 24, 2014, 18:56:56 pm »
Hi,
Although bedtime hasn't been going that well for a while- we were finally getting back on track (wi/wo) when dd (22months) started climbing out of her cot so, although it wasn't the best time, we had to take the side off. She can climb over the stairgate so she can wander out of her room as she likes.
I started with normal bedtime routine, the first couple of nights weren't to bad- I sat with her till she went to sleep (as she kept on climbing out) and it took about 45mins from lights out.
Te last few days have been awful- more like 2 hours to get to sleep. She wants more and more stories and is very reluctant to lie down and when I do eventually get her to, she's up and down like a yoyo. So I have been standing outside and then putting her back in her bed when she gets to the door (about once every 20secs :( ) till eventually she crashes out. A couple of hours later.
Is this the best approach do you think? 
Wu- between 5 and 6
Nap - 12ish for an hour
Lights out- 6.15

Thanks for reading, if anyone has any tips I would really appreciate it
X

Offline Buttonbobs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
Re: BGB transition not going too well
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 07:32:56 am »
This sounds like a very trying period for you, I'm sorry I don't have btdt experience with getting out of bed so often, but it does sound like you're taking the right approach and putting her right back into bed.
Looking at your day, I wonder if she might benefit from a shorter nap or no nap at all. The fact that she is already taking quite a short nap and has been for some time might mean she's actually quite low sleep needs.

Was she settling to sleep well immediately prior to the change to a bed?

Does she settle easily at nap time?
~ Naomi ~

Offline Mrshoughton

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 08:30:53 am »
Nap time has always been difficult- we have always Ap'd the nap (in the pushchair/car).
She goes to a childminder now who says that she goes straight down for her at nap time (isn't that always the way lol). I was thinking last night maybe we should drop te nap- maybe I'll do that today and see how we go. She hasn't really slept well since February time- bedtime wasn't so much the problem as multiple NWs. I must say though, that after the first couple of nights in her BGB (when she got into my bed at about 2am but I stopped that quite quickly) she is now staying in bed all night- previously she was waking at least 3 times a night..

Thanks for replying to me- will let you know how we get on. Got a squish arriving in November, so would love to have got some order with things before then as I don't think I can do 2 hour bedtimes then..
X

Offline Buttonbobs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
Re: BGB transition not going too well
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 06:53:56 am »
It does sound like routine might be an issue but possible also independent sleep too. What is your wind down like at BT?

If you like, you could post your days in EAS format for the next few days (including the time of any NWs) and we can take a look before tweaking.
~ Naomi ~