Author Topic: starting to supplement  (Read 1328 times)

Offline 1stimer

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 19
starting to supplement
« on: October 21, 2014, 17:43:24 pm »
So I'm a little bummed but today I was going to start ds on formula.  Just one bottle to start bc Thursday I start at work and I inky have enough milk stored for 3 bottles so I wanted to make m sure the formal was ok for him. Anything I need to know?? I wasn't sure to post here or bottle feeding but I am more wanting to know if there is anything from the breastfeeding side I need to be aware of. I'm not quite sure what I'm worried about...He was supplemented in the NICU for a little bit while my supply got up....I think it's just hard :(

[/url]

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: starting to supplement
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 21:40:32 pm »
I don't have personal experience but thought these FAQs would be relevant.
Weaning (has info on replacing one feed at a time)
A bottle (or more!) a day…  Mixed breast and bottle feeding
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 02:30:34 am »
Thanks!! There was a ton of good info on there!

[/url]

Offline Kirsten~

• Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 05:20:46 am »
I supplemented with dd and just started this week with DS when I went back to work. I found that it was much better tomgive mixed bottles of Ebm and formula instead of 3 Ebm bottles and one all formula. You will probably find that the taste will work better for your LO.
Also, gerber amd similac both now make a supplementation formula that is specifically for breastfed babies who are just getting some formula. He just got his first 3 oz of that today, but my ped recommended it, and I never knew it existed!
We have also had am increase in gas since introducing formula even though he is only getting like 3 oz a day. My dd didn't have this issue, but the nurse I spoke with said that he probably just needs to adjust to it, so keep that in mind. Also, even with only some formula you will probably smell a difference in your lo's gas and poops (and it's not good!)

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 00:16:36 am »
I hadn't seen the special formula for bf babies...and in was actually wondering about mixing. So maybe since he is taking 4 oz I could do 2 and 2???

[/url]

Offline Kirsten~

• Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 04:50:17 am »
I would definitely do 2 and 2. He is used to the taste of BM and formula has a different taste. It's very likely that he would refuse an all formula bottle, but half and half should make it much more palatable for him.

Yeah, take a look in your grocery store or Target and look for the formulas that are "supplementation" formulas. I saw one from gerber and one from similac.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 04:55:02 am »
Maybe my kids are just weird but they all took to formula fine without mixing with bm! Had to make sure the formula was quite warm though as they loved it that way. I don't think we have those formulas up here, what is different about them?
Heidi

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 15:33:04 pm »
Looking on the websites of the two brands mentioned it looks like extra prebiotics (similiac) or probiotics and 100% whey partially hydrolyzed proteins (gerber).
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 15:57:31 pm »
Like Heidi said, we also didn't have any problems. He liked both formula and BM - I guess no difference for him. However we used Bebilon Comfort so partially hydrolized proteins.
~Marta

Offline Kirsten~

• Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2014, 16:33:46 pm »
Yes, we were having gas issues, so the nurse thought the prebiotics might help. He did seem to be more comfortable on the supplementation formula, although it could just be crazy mom placebo wanting him to be better. :)
You can experiment with what works for your LO. I suppose the advantage of doing one all formula bottle is of he doesn't finish it, you don't mind dumping it. If it's half and half, you could lose an oz or so of EBM. And also whatever is easier for whoever is taking care of him while you work.

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2014, 16:38:02 pm »
Ahhh, very good point! For a long time I gave DS bottle for DF, firstly with ebm and when he finished I switched the bottle and offered bottle.
~Marta