Author Topic: Day 1 nap time -sleep training help needed!  (Read 723 times)

Offline Ilanaana

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Day 1 nap time -sleep training help needed!
« on: October 24, 2014, 00:25:00 am »
Hi! I have a 10 1/2 week old son who only naps in the car or on me... Just started the pu/pd method for nap time. First nap took about 15 min  w 22 pick ups to finally sleep. 2nd nap took 87 pick ups in just under 3 hours to finally fall asleep. 3rd nap took 48 picks ups in 1 hour 20 min... All naps lasted less than 45 min. Needless to say my back is killing me. Please help! I read 2 of Tracy's books and think I'm doing everything right, but I have a angel/textbook baby and wasn't expecting it to be this challenging! Tips please. How many pick ups is normal? What was it like for you? All advice is welcome!!

Offline nevinsmama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
Re: Day 1 nap time -sleep training help needed!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 02:17:22 am »
OK. PUPD is meant pretty much as a last resort. Your LO probably finds this incredibly stimulating ( it is not reccomended for LO's under 5 months for this reason) and can't find the "off" switch! I would make sure you give shh/pat a really good go before launching in on something more extreme. 10 and 1/2 weeks is still pretty tiny so I would not hesitate to do some AP for some naps and do what you need to do to help him sleep. That said, many Mamas start ST about this age. If that is the way you want to go, then have a have a look here. A Special Sleep Interview with Tracy Hogg

Maryn

[/url]

Offline Ilanaana

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 04:55:52 am »
He settles very easily on my shoulder but cries as soon as I lie him down... He's also started crying when I put his little swaddle thing on (start of nap routine). I feel like I'm traumatizing him with this.... Ugh. I just wish I knew what to do. Keep going or go back to just lettin him sleep on me and nurse to sleep.

Offline Ilanaana

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 04:58:14 am »
Also, I misspoke. It's not pu-pd it's shush pat. He just cries when I set him down and instantly calms and starts to nod off when I pick him up so it's constant up down.

Offline nevinsmama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 13:35:25 pm »
This is totally up to you. There are a lot of Mamas who are still doing ALL AP at this age and don't start ST until 4 months or so. There are just many who start at this age or younger and it does turn out with time.

If I were you, I would give it a few weeks and then re-start. If you choose to continue with ST, maybe a pre-winddown in a carrier could help put him "in the zone?" My DD would scream bloody murder when the swaddle came out too, some are just screamers no matter whether they are UT or OT.

Speaking of which, how long is he awake before naps?

Sometimes, leaning right over into the bed and getting very close would help DD while I was doing shh/pat. All of this is just to help you with YOUR decision! Hugs!

Maryn

[/url]