Author Topic: 5 week old only getting 10 hours of sleep in 24! Help  (Read 1133 times)

Offline holdtomos

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
5 week old only getting 10 hours of sleep in 24! Help
« on: November 25, 2014, 13:48:21 pm »
Dear all,

I have a 5 week old little boy. We have been trying to follow the 3 hour EASY routine. Although it did get interrupted due to a cold and some reflux issues. He is now on Gaviscon infant (I am BF only) which has decreased the sicking up, head of crib and changing station raised. He still gets hiccups constantly which can sometimes cause him to get upset and spit up, but seems happier lying on back and doesn't bring up whole feed.

I think he is somewhere between a textbook and spirited personality. He is not that vocal and can sit quietly. he can wake in his crib and amuse himself for 15 minutes before crying - and even then it is just a grumble not a yell. The only time he gets really vocal is if he is hungry. Happy to be bathed - even the first time he enjoyed it. Never cries when changing nappy etc. However the reason I think he has some spirited traits is that he really thrashes around and fidgets, especially when trying to get to sleep. The movements involve all 4 limbs, head, facial muscles and torso that flexes and extends. He can fight his way out of the swaddle and then proceeds to hit himself in the face, poke himself in the eye etc. This is not condusive to getting sleep! I have just bought an ergobaby swaddle in hope that it is more secure.

The problem is that aswell as taking a while to get to sleep due to the movements, during the day I am lucky if he naps 40 minutes during the day and at night we get 3 hours early in the night (Including the dream feed time) but after that he is waking constantly - squirming, hiccuping, grunting, groaning and eventually crying (although this can be as much as an hour later). I have read other posts which say their babies are doing this in their sleep but he is definitely awake - eyes wide. As a result yesterday, when I wrote all the timings down, he got 10 hours sleep in 24. I am exhausted and I am sure he must be.

I have been very aware of not overstimulating and am doing a wind down period, sleep ritual (4 S's). He doesn't cry at all during the sleep /wind down ritual, even when put in his cot whilst sleepy but awake - it is just these squirming movements that keep him awake. I stay with him a good 30 -40 minutes, well after he slips into deeper sleep.

Any thoughts?
Thank you

Quick - update!
I have just received the ergobaby swaddler - he seemed to like it. Also I noticed that he doesn't have the movements whilst in my arms only when laying flat in cot. So I have made a couple of rolled up towels as positioners to recreate the body position in my arms - small one under knees to bring hips into a slightly flexed position and then small ones along his sides to make him feel like he is enclosed in my arms - this seemed to decrease the movements and he went to sleep quickly. I will update later to see if this has helped with the length of naps.

Thank you

Offline weaver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
Re: 5 week old only getting 10 hours of sleep in 24! Help
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 14:04:48 pm »
Hello and welcome to BW!

Do come back and update, but from what you describe, sounds like the reflux might be disrupting his sleep still. What do you think?  Discomfort only when lying flat seems to indicate reflux to me.
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline holdtomos

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 14:10:25 pm »
Yes that was at the back of my mind, but he doesn't cry whilst getting to sleep - maybe discomfort making him thrash even with no crying?

Offline Buttonbobs

• Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 17:11:08 pm »
Hi there :)

Just another quick thought, does this issue only happen at night after the DF? It is possible that the DF doesn't suit him, my DD loved hers and never struggled but often LOs with reflux do struggle with it. If you think this is an issue you could wait to feed him until he wakes, burp him normally and then PD for sleep again as per a normal night feed.
~ Naomi ~

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 18:46:51 pm »
Welcome to BW Hun,
At 5 weeks it can be hard to tell how much is discomfort as they're still so little, and tend to get more vocal after 6 weeks or so.

Tbh he sounds like my ds1 when he first got reflux. How does he feed? - will he settle to sleep in the car? Pram, In a wrap on you upright? In arms? - if so then sure, try for a cot nap, but I'd use these to help you both get some rest or at least time out.

If things don't settle down, I would consider discussing a med trial for your lo. Often gaviscon can upset their tummies and cause constipation, so keep an eye on that. I suspect over the next few weeks things will either improve to get worse - unfortunately it's a bit of a waiting game.

Hugs x
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline dache

• Showing Appreciation 22
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 19:36:47 pm »
I agree with Sara, during the day you can try different ways to get a nap.
I tired so many things be (sofa cushion, car seat,baby relaxation chair) before getting her most comfortable  in a wrap (and was very pick which one, I tried 3 other before getting her to nap in a moby wrap). She had 2h naps in that.

Probably him waking at night also had to do with the fact that he is over tiered from poor daytime sleep.
I know you are too. You are doing a great job.
You know,Ive said this many times before, the best advice that I got here about dealing with a baby with reflux is you do what every you need to to get trough the day. Accidental parenting is fine, you`ll fix thing letter when he is fine and you all had some rest.

Hugs xx

Offline holdtomos

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 15:04:22 pm »
Thank you for you replies and encouragement.

So he had a large bowel movement right before nap time in his new swaddle. He then went down really easily and slept for 1.5 hours. However the next nap was again 30 minutes and we had a terrible evening of "colicy" crying.

The BM was slightly greeny-yellow and he has only been having one BM a day (sometime every other day). So I am stopping the gaviscon in case that is upsetting him (The poo was runny not hard). Today has been difficult with bouts of "colicy"  crying and obvious tummy discomfort. I am finding it hard to read if it is reflux, tummy pain or a mixture to be honest. My health visitor also suggested that he was waking because he is hungry so I have fed him a bit more on demand today - I think it is comfort feeding to be honest though.

He is currently sleeping in my moby sling. It is the one thing that settles him. Even his little seat (which he loves sitting in and observing the world from when calm) doesn't settle him when he is in discomfort. Makes me think it is tummy pain as the tummy is slumped slightly in the seat... in sling there is a little pressure on the tummy which could be soothing? I will keep an eye on hte reflux/sicking up when I take him off the gaviscon.

The night sleep problems are generally getting to sleep at 8ish and then in the early hours. DF is fine. The first night feed is usually fine, the fussing starts at 3 or 4 usually (Sometimes after the 1 or 2 am feed). Often a poo will settle things down unless sicking up.

It is good to know that it is OK to accidental parenting just to get through, I was getting stressed about creating bad habits aswell as the distress of seeing my LO in obvious discomfort.

When he is in no obvious tummy pain he settled really well in the new swaddle :)

Thanks everyone
x

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 02:33:24 am »
Interestingly enough my first refluxer loved the car seat and slept in it, but my second who had intolerances never ever settled in the car,it hurt his tummy. The fussy night sleep is quite common for LOs with sensitive tummies. Have you considered eliminating dairy and soy from your diet if your BF and seeing if it helps? 1/3 or so of reflux babies have milk protein intolerances so it's worth trying if things are getting worse.

Will your lo take a paci? They helped both my boys reflux and to settle, and reduced the crying which helped me as I found it really hard to hear.
***Sara***

Offline lauradj

• Showing Appreciation 61
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2014, 04:05:31 am »
I just wanted to attach this for your reference.  It doesn't sound like your baby's poop is a big deal, the colour and consistency will change day to day (and sometimes will explode up the back in a lovely fashion!).  Basically, it's not likely the Gaviscon that's causing the technicolour explosion, just his little system growing and developing.  Having said that, a mother with reflux experience would know better than I.

http://www.babycenter.ca/a551926/your-babys-poo-whats-normal-and-whats-not

Offline holdtomos

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2014, 17:54:13 pm »
Thank you everyone for your words.

We have come off the gaviscon as he had a fairly firm poo after 48 hours of no BM which caused him a lot of discomfort. Since then he has been pooping 2x a day and with much less fuss. I can generally calm him with some tummy rubbing and a dummy and cuddles when he needs a poop now.

Reflux seems better than 3 weeks ago when we started the Gaviscon and he can now burp effectively which I think is helping too. I guess at this young age every day can show changes and improvements in the digestive system, so i am holding off on any more meds to see how we go.

30 minute naps are still a problem but at least if he is not in so much discomfort we can start working on them.

Hopefully in a few weeks I can post on the success stories page!

Thanks for all the support - it makes such a difference. I am keen to keep going with Tracy's philosophy as it was my sister who gave me the book after using it with her two girls. They have always been and still are great sleepers who never fuss or complain at bedtime
x

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2014, 09:34:01 am »
How are things?
***Sara***