Author Topic: quick question about nap length  (Read 19961 times)

Offline AMJ

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: quick question about nap length
« Reply #120 on: April 14, 2015, 18:17:39 pm »
At this point 5:30 seems good enough since yesterday she was up at 4:40am.

Right now I'm doing 12-2 nap where she is asleep at 12:15 and then asleep at 7:30 it's only been few days like this but she is already grumpy and she is hnot copping with it well. Tbh she is not coping with either. I really don't know how to go about anymore. Just feel like giving up

Offline AMJ

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #121 on: April 14, 2015, 18:30:05 pm »
How short would you suggest to cut her nap to?

Offline LovelyLilyandJack

• Showing Appreciation 44
  • Formerly lovelylily
« Reply #122 on: April 14, 2015, 21:26:41 pm »
Ooh, she's a tricky one, isn't she?! :) I think I'd be tempted to try one or both of two extremes, just to get a clear reaction.  If she's getting OT then I guess you could go all out on fixing that, try a day or two of a completely uncapped nap at 12 and an early bedtime of asleep by 6.45 or 7. I know you're worried about what that'll bring, but if she's OT then the long days are going to be contributing to that, no matter what you do with her nap. I'd get an early night myself, prepare for the worst and cross my fingers....!

The other extreme would be to cap at 45 minutes for a couple of days and see where that takes you.  If she'll nap in the car or buggy you could even have a day out as a break from all this and try and distract yourself! I'd probably bring BT forward in that scenario, too  - maybe aim for 7ish there as well.

If neither of those work I don't know what to suggest I'm afraid! I think you've tried everything else,  so I'd probably push BT right back in the hope for a more reasonable WU, set a nap and BT and just observe her for a bit to see if anything emerges. Sorry, I know none of those will feel like options but like I say, I think you've tried everything else...

• Formerly lovelylily
« Reply #123 on: April 14, 2015, 21:27:55 pm »
I'm assuming she's not teething any more, btw?

Offline AMJ

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #124 on: April 14, 2015, 21:56:48 pm »
Yes it seems like I've tried everything! Your plan sounds good. Thanks so sticking with us! I'll give it a try. And yes she is not teething anymore
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 05:03:50 am by AMJ »

• Formerly lovelylily
« Reply #125 on: April 15, 2015, 06:37:16 am »
Good luck xxx

Offline AMJ

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #126 on: April 15, 2015, 07:06:54 am »
Thank you I need it!

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #127 on: April 15, 2015, 07:08:55 am »
Good luck from me too, great advice there xx

Offline AMJ

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #128 on: April 15, 2015, 12:18:53 pm »
Thank you :)

Offline AMJ

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #129 on: April 16, 2015, 10:50:53 am »
Just wanted to update you with what as happening for the past few days. We are on day 4 of set nap
12 in the crib,
nap at 12:15/20
 2 pm I wake her
 crib at 7pm
7:30pm BT
First 2 days didn't go good. The third day wasn't too bad but because she was up at 4:40am her day was really long so she ended up having a pretty much very silent NWU from 11:50-12:50 and then up at 6am. That's a very good WU for her aside from the NWU.
Tonight she had another NWU at 2:30-3:40 but this one was a chatty one. But then she WU at 7am!!!!!!!! This never ever ever ever happens. From 7:30pm to 7am with an 1hr10m NWU- I'll take  that.

Today I still put her in the crib at 12 for a nap but it's 12:50 and she is still talking which doesn't reallly surprise me cause it is only 5hrs of A from 7 to 12. But now I don't know when to wake her because I don't know how long of a nap she needs to be able to stay up till 7/7:30pm. I think if she naps for 1hr45-2hrs she needs about 5.5hrs of A and if she naps for 1.5hrs then it's closer to 5hrs of A. What do I do???????? Help

P. S. She finally fell asleep at 1:22pm. Should I still wake her at 2? Or maybe give her till 2:20 so she naps for 1hr?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 11:30:16 am by AMJ »

• Formerly lovelylily
« Reply #130 on: April 16, 2015, 19:55:27 pm »
Sorry, I've only just seen this :(  What did you do?  I tend to stick to pretty much the same times as possible with a set nap and BT, plus or minus 15/20 minutes, as it sort of evens out.  If she was UT going down for her nap, then she can probably cope with a shorter nap cos then it's just normal A til bed and she can catch up at night.  With Lily at this age, if she took longer to go to sleep I would still wake at the same time cos she'd probably need less sleep if she wasn't that tired.  She was OK with that as she got the chance to go to sleep sooner and sleep longer the next day if she was tired.  The most I would have allowed would be an hour I think, and then I probably would have moved BT back 10-15 minutes as well. 

But, but, but.... 7am WU???!!!!  That's amazing!!!  :) :) :)  I really hope it continues for you - or past 6am at least!  Maybe set naps will suit her then?  I'm so pleased you've had a couple of decent WU's :D

Offline AMJ

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #131 on: April 17, 2015, 03:50:51 am »
Hi
 I ended up wakig her after 1hr so at 2:25. She didn't seem too bad for the rest of the day but was getting too hyper by the evening so I had her in the crib at 6:30 and she was asleep at 7:10pm then slept through and WU at 5:25 :(. I was secretly hoping for a better WU. I don't know what to take from this. Maybe with a 45m nap like you suggested she woudl've had a longer night so maybe next time I get a 7am WU I would give her a later 45m nap and see how that turns out.

Yes I know 7am seems unbelievable! I hope that continues and NWU mysteriously stop
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 10:09:19 am by AMJ »

Offline AMJ

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #132 on: April 18, 2015, 11:47:16 am »
Hi I hope I can catch you here today :)

The next day after my last post DD WU at 5:25am and then crib at 12:15 and nap at 12:20 -2pm (I woke her) then crib at 7 and BT at 7:35. Today she WU at 5:45am and clearly looked tired before her nap so as usual crib at 12:00. She looked like she fell asleep at 12:20 (or maybe she just laid really quietly) but then started to cry at 12:23 and after that chatting, singing, sitting etc. It is 1:45 and she is still at it. I guess I should get her up at 2 and then EBT? But what time?? She never missed a nap.

P.S. She just fell asleep at 2pm after 2 hrs of chatting and singing. How long should I let her nap for and when to do BT ?  ???

I tried getting her up at 2:30 but it seemed that she was in a deep sleep so I waited till she moved and then woke her at 2:35/40 ish.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 13:12:45 pm by AMJ »

Offline AMJ

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #133 on: April 18, 2015, 17:37:38 pm »
She was pretty good after the nap just a bit whiny but after dinner and during wind down she was pretty tired. I had her in the crib at 6:30 but she fell asleep at 7:15pm which surprised me cause I thought she will be asleep in minutes.

What I wonder if she would've fallen asleep sooner during nap time if I had her in the crib let's say at 12:30 or 1 instead of 12?

• Formerly lovelylily
« Reply #134 on: April 18, 2015, 18:42:47 pm »
Sorry I didn't see this  - I tend to log on at the beginning and end of my day.  I'm not sure what the time difference is but if I'm in time, what are you doing for BT? I'd try and stick to a set BT if you can, just to see the impact it has on your night.

Good luck!

Oops - posted with you. I was going to suggest moving her nap back bit, but you'll need to keep her A til bed the same so her nap doesn't get too close to BT.