Author Topic: Where did your newborn sleep?  (Read 2770 times)

Offline grace annes mommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 23
« on: April 18, 2015, 11:26:49 am »
We've been rearranging our bedroom so I've been thinking about the new baby and sleeping already.  DD was in a bassinet next to our bed for the first couple months.  It was OK, but after a CS I remember it being tough lifting her out and into bed with us.  I was looking into co sleepers that attach right to the bed which look great.  But, man! Even used they cost a small fortune.  We moved DD to her crib in her room at 10 weeks, so it seems ridiculous to spend that money for something we'll use for such a short time.

Where/in what did your LOs sleep for their first few months?

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 11:57:32 am »
We used a basinet and Moses basket (both borrowed) but I just positioned them not on normal "legs" but on books.boxes so they where on the right level, next to my bed. After first 2-3 weeks I think we stopped using books/boxes and just placed the basinet/basket on the floor.
It doesn't help with CS but it helped with me not having to even stand to get DS out of the bassinet.
If you don't have basinet or basket, my friend used to use her pram:).

What I may think of is co-sleeping with a baby between you and the wall... Is that an option for you?

Or kind of DIY co-sleeper...?
~Marta

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
Re: Where did your newborn sleep?
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 12:44:52 pm »
DS was in an Amby Nature's Nest, which was lovely but still involved lifting. Slept him up to eight months and doubled as a travel cot.
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 12:48:10 pm »
Oh yes. That was also to be my suggestion. Amby is a nice solution, might be used looong firstly as a bassinet and then as a jumper if I am correct. However it requires space and is pricey. And of course lifting involved.
~Marta

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 13:42:44 pm »
DD1 & DD2 slept in a small crib in our room but with DD3 we had a king size bed so I used the bassinet from her stroller nad set it in the middle of the bed...still had to lift her but being that she was right beside me it wasn't as bad (no C-section though). It also helped to be able to just reach and arm over and pop a soother in or pat her bum!
Heidi

Offline newkidontheblock

• Showing Appreciation 42
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 15:04:57 pm »
We used a pack n play in our room. I would put her to sleep in her crib but bring her to our room after her first night feed at 10.30 as we would also be sleeping then. As she started sleeping longer stretches, we stopped bringing her here. It was a good buy though as we need it as a bed on holidays and we use it as a play pen right now

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2015, 18:31:18 pm »
Please be careful if cosleeping in a bed next to the wall as babies have died from getting stuck  down the gap between the bed and the wall.

We used a moses basket on a rocking stand with all 3.

Maybe you can sell a cosleeper on after you finish with it to recoup some of the money.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2015, 18:56:25 pm »
I have a co-sleeper and I truly love it.

I had a crib with the first 2, and neither ever slept so I just couldn't face using it again  :-[.

Thomas is 4.5 months and still in it  :). I have no plan to stop using it yet, although if he starts pulling to sit I would have to. He is nowhere near doing that yet though.

I really wish I had used one before, it is such a lovely way to care for a tiny baby through the night.

Offline grace annes mommy

• Showing Appreciation 23
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2015, 00:37:08 am »
I have a co-sleeper and I truly love it.

I had a crib with the first 2, and neither ever slept so I just couldn't face using it again  :-[.

Thomas is 4.5 months and still in it  :). I have no plan to stop using it yet, although if he starts pulling to sit I would have to. He is nowhere near doing that yet though.

I really wish I had used one before, it is such a lovely way to care for a tiny baby through the night.

Which one do you have, Liz?

We don't have a big enough bed to do a moses basket or anything in the bed.  Plus, I really like my own space sleeping.  A co sleeper is just so appealing to me.  Just reach over and the baby is right there.  Or just roll over and pop her on the boob lol.  The bassinet did work OK for DD and hopefully I won't have another csection but I gave it away so am faced with getting something new anyway.

Re selling it is definitely a possibility.  Just tricky as we are so so tight on money right now, I'm just really trying to pick and choose what we really need.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2015, 13:16:25 pm »
Not sure of your situation but is it something you could ask someone to buy you or at least contribute to?  I'm thinking grandparents,  vouchers from a work collection or on a baby shower list?  Or do you have mummy pages on Facebook or the like where you could ask if anyone is getting rid of one or wants to lend you one?  It's amazing what some people are willing to pass on for free to other local mums.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline theu.s.lees

• Showing Appreciation 12
    • Neyssa Lee Photography
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2015, 13:46:38 pm »
For my first two we used a pack n play. It was great. And it had a little changing table and a raised section. Wean aged to los the part for the upper section this time so we did a lot of co sleeping between us the first couple of weeks. We ended up borrowing a rock n play from a friend and love it. The first week she started out in that and moved into our bed at the first feed. Since 5 weeks we have had it in her room and I nurse her there.

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2015, 20:48:06 pm »
I have something called a snuzpod

http://www.thelittlegreensheep.co.uk/the-little-green-sheep/snuzpod-3-in-1-bedside-crib-natural.aspx?gclid=Cj0KEQjwpM2pBRChsZCzm_CU0t4BEiQAxDVFmjGXga1R8U07cs8MKeW8qpwJTFHMlW5y4kFGPhAPmtMaAiVC8P8HAQ

I have never taken the top off it, or used the rocking as it is secured to my bed. I just use it as a co-sleeping crib.

Even bottle feeding I find it great. I quite often either just put a hand on him, or switch him onto his side to resettle him.