Author Topic: Frequent feedings  (Read 1514 times)

Offline MadisonC

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • my loves xo
Frequent feedings
« on: May 25, 2015, 03:21:08 am »
So my ds2 is just over a month old and feeds quite often.  He eats anywhere from 3-5 oz every 2.5 to 4 hours but sometimes it seems like I can't fill him.  Is it possible to have a month old baby on a routine? It just seems like he is always trying to suck or eat something.. He was born 9lbs 5 oz and is now 11lbs 2 oz so he's a big boy but I don't ever remember ds1 eating this often. It seems he needs to feed to sleep and when he wakes from a nap.. Even if it's only 1 hr long... And he's not a fan of a soother.. Not any of the ones we have anyways. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Frequent feedings
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 19:00:56 pm »
Sounds fine to me! Some babies do feed 2.5 hourly for the first few months, they will gradually stretch as they are able to take more. Keep offering more in the bottle than you think he will take so that he can stop feeding because he is full and not just because the bottle is empty. There are a lot of growth spurts in these early months!

The other thing to think about if the frequent feedings don't settle is if he is in discomfort, many refluxers feeds small amounts frequently because it helps to sooth their throats, although that tends to be an oz or 2 then refusing to feed any more. Does he have any other symptoms like discomfort while feeding, wet burps, hiccups or not liking being laid down flat?

Laura

Offline Lindsay27

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 78
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 19:26:02 pm »
My DS fed every 2hrs for the first 2ish months! 

Offline MadisonC

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • my loves xo
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 23:54:38 pm »
He does get hiccups the odd time which he hates but not as often as when he was first born.  I don't think he minds laying flat.. He sleeps in his crib flat on his back, and as for wet burps.. Do you mean spit up? If so, then no wet burps.  I just wasn't sure if he was eating too much but he hardly refuses the bottle unless he is stuffed or he fell asleep.