Author Topic: Need to know..  (Read 2325 times)

Offline Ekta Saxena

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: June 30, 2015, 16:51:29 pm »
Hello,

A lil curious to know how much and what your LO at 6-7 months eating..

Will appreciate the schedule and the kind of food they are taking.

Thanks
Ekta

Offline *Liz*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
Re: Need to know..
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 18:13:23 pm »
Thomas eats very little!!

He has 4 5-6oz bottles a day and I offer solids when my older 2 eat (so breakfast and tea as they are in school).

He is dairy intolerant. I use mainly BLW as he has refused spoon feeding anyway - likely because he is still very sick with his reflux.

So far he has gluten free toast fingers, strawberries, banana, carrots, broccoli, chicken, potatoes, sweet potatoes. Just a few of whatever on his tray. Oh, and rice cakes.

I use famiky meal times regardless of when his milk feeds are (anything else just isn't practical).

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 18:58:33 pm »
Mine were all at different stages at that age. DD1 had a mix of purees and BLW and she was having a couple of meals a day at that point, generally spaced between bottle feeds. She loved fruit purees, sweet potato, toast fingers, oatmeal.

DD2 was totally on purees and did a couple of meals as well, but ate when we did as it was easier. Foods were sweet potato, apple, pear, squash, some pureed meats, rice cereal, etc.

DD3 we did BLW almost 100% of the time - basically we gave her food off of our plates at meal times and let her have at it. She did not eat a lot at first but pretty much was having something at every meal/snack but super tiny portions or just sucked on a piece of food but did not ingest anything.
Heidi

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 19:33:19 pm »
You inspired me to go and look on the BLW support thread when I first posted there when DS started solids...a lovely little trip down memory lane for me so thank you for that :)

Well, he ate everything. He was so incredibly demanding of food.  He was on 3 meals per day very quickly and tried everything offered including a roast dinner when we went out for lunch (I took home steamed veggies so I knew they were not cooked with salt but he had a little of the food from our plates too including roast beef which he sucked down to a thread).  Baked apple wedges, baked potato wedges, lemon and coriander humus, garlic bread, tortellini, fritata...everything.
Although he was on 3 meals per day very quickly his milk intake did not drop, if anything it increased as he needed a milk top up after solids meals in the early days.
I offered roughly 1 hr after milk feeds.
I also discovered he didn't identify with plastic spoons and thought I was giving him a toy instead of food (which he was most annoyed about), he wanted the same cutlery as I had, metal spoon and metal fork. I found a little toddler set of cutlery he was happy with.

Offline Ekta Saxena

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 09:49:21 am »
Wow..great to hear.

My LO is 6.5 months now and she is eating 6-7 tsp of cereal with milk and another meal which is fruit purees. She has had apple, banana and papaya till now.

Now almost ready to introduce third meal which will be salty.

Want to ask if a solid meal is given too soon after the milk feeds , wont that affect the solid intake...keeping this in mind, I am at least keeping a gap of 2 hours between milk feeds and solids although fitting in a third meal will be a challenge. At the moment she is taking in 20-22 oz of milk and emptying the bottles completely.

Much thanks.
Ekta

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 10:58:28 am »
I assume you mean savoury??

Yes it may affect the solid intake - but remember you do need a balance of milk and solids until age 1. So it may actually help you not reduce your milk intake too much.

Offline creations

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 20:54:48 pm »
I assume you mean savoury??
I'm assuming you mean savoury too - salty food at this age is not good for LOs.

2hrs is quite a long gap between milk and solids, an hour would be enough to build an appetite for solids and might be easier for you to fit into the day. There's no hurry to have 3 meals (I just had a very demanding boy, he had reflux and I think he really needed those solids as he was never a keen milk drinker, but took enough to keep growing).

Offline clazzat

• Showing Appreciation 286
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 21:00:50 pm »
My dd1 wasn't on 3 meals a day until she was well over 1 as she just wasn't interested - there is no rush to push the additional meal if your lo is happy with what she has.  I think that with all of mine at this age there was only about 30 minutes between milk and solids as the solids are not the most important bit and I did have to have some of my day that didn't involve feeding a baby!  2 hours seems longer than necessary, so if you are trying to fit in an extra meal you might want to cut that down to an hour or so.

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2015, 21:02:52 pm »
At the moment she is taking in 20-22 oz of milk and emptying the bottles completely.

As she is at the lower end of recommended milk intake you could increase her bottles by an oz or 2 if she is draining them. Don't forget that solids are a supplement to milk not instead of at this age and she will gradually increase her appetite as she grows and gets mobile. I agree with Creations, an hour is long enough after a milk feed as you also don't want solids too close to her next milk feed to keep her appetite for milk!

Laura

Offline creations

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2015, 21:03:50 pm »
you could increase her bottles by an oz or 2 if she is draining them.
Glad you said that as I was intending to say the same and then totally forgot x