Author Topic: 9 mth sleeping issue and routine changes  (Read 1128 times)

Offline sszskristy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 05, 2015, 10:36:03 am »
I know another mum just post something similar but I also have routine problems so just open a new post.

My baby will be 10 mth old next week and always a good sleeper and on a good routine. Can self settle, no night feeding, 2 naps in daytime.

From about two weeks ago, she wakes at rondom time between 2-5am, normally just wake once , but she cries loudly and very hard to go back to sleep. The only thing works is that moving her to our bed and sleep with her. If it is already 5am, we just leave her there. If it is like just 2am, we move her back to the cot after she falls asleep.

Another problem is early rising, like 5:30. No matter when I put her down last night, she just can't sleep till 6:30 or even 6.

For the daytime naps, it is not bad but sometimes she will refuse afternoon nap. So if she can have a long morning nap (2.5-3 hours) we just cut the afternoon nap and let her go to bed very early, but that just happened 3 times. And still have the NW and early rising problem.

I am not surprised that the sleeping regression happened on us again because we had a bad one when 4 mth old. And this afternoon I just noticed her 3rd tooth had erupted.

So if u just tell me it will pass...well,  I take that because I am already very calm this time ;) But still want to know if there is anything else I can do?

And more important, about the routine. Because her play time become longer and longer now, naps delays and bedtime has to delay as well. I am a little bit worried that it is not just sleep regression but also unkonwing overtired. I just post our classic routine for the last 3 month.

6:30 wake up
7:00 milk
8:00 solids
9:30 nap
11:00-11:30 milk
12:30 solids
14:30-15:00 nap
16:00 milk
17:00 solids
19:00-19:30 milk and bedtime

But for the last 2 weeks we can't stick to this routine everyday like before. The biggest difference is that she won't go to bed until 20:00 or 20:30 and the first nap sometimes happens at 10:00.

Sorry about the long post but that's because I always enjoy ur guys opinions. :)

Offline lily_layne

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 65
Re: 9 mth sleeping issue and routine changes
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 02:03:52 am »
My DS's sleep went goofy during the last few weeks (at 9 months) and it passed on its own. The only change I made was putting him to bed 15 minutes later. He was having more NWs and waking at 5:30/6 and he's now gone back to his regular wake up and sleeping better at night.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline sszskristy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 12:24:10 pm »
we are having a horrible night!! she woke like 10 times during the past 4 hours! that has never happened before and I am so scared now.. I am in Australia and today is super hot, her room is still very warm now..I have no idea if it is because of the weather or teething or something else..and I don't even know if we can survive tonight..Jesus..

Offline lily_layne

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 19:57:14 pm »
(((hugs)))
Did you try medicating for teeth?
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline sszskristy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 00:02:54 am »
Yes, finally I decided to give her pain relief before I go to bed, that was already 12:00am. And we had a peaceful night. She woke up 6:30 this morning, like nothing had happened last night...

I am really curious about the pain relief. Is it really because of the teething pain or the medicine itself let people go into deep sleep even if they are not in pain?? Can anybody explain this?

But I definitely have good news to tell..the weather back to the normal now..22 degree..ohmy it is so comfortable!!

Offline lily_layne

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 02:09:54 am »
I don't think most painkillers cause sleepiness. I think it could be that discomfort that can be tolerated during the day is harder to handle at night. It's more noticeable when you're in a still, quiet room trying to sleep, yk? I would try medicating right away if she wakes again tonight and you suspect teething.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline sszskristy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 11:43:37 am »
Yesterday was fine. We went back to our classic routine and self settle for 2 good naps and bedtime.  Because she was being herself all day long so I did not give her anything before bedtime. However, we still had NW twice at 1:00am and 4am. I have to blame it on sleep regression now...We had a terrible sleep regression at 4 mth old which last for a month. So i guess this one is still going on because it is just the 3rd week...

So I guess the routine is fine? Still two naps, bedtime at 7.

Offline lily_layne

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 19:42:08 pm »
Is she hungry? Are you feeding at any of the NWs? How is she eating during the day?
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline sszskristy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2015, 10:23:53 am »
No, no NF since 6 mth and I don't think it is because of the hunger, I know that crying..it is not "hungry crying"

Another question ladies... Sometimes she would have a very long morning nap like 3 hrs. What I will do is cutting the afternoon nap. It happened a few times during the past 3 weeks. So does it mean anything? And what I should do?
Like today, morning nap is 9:30-13:00, no afternoon nap, bedtime 6:30. So she is awake like more than 5 hrs in the afternoon. Is it alright for her age? BTW I really hate waking up a sleeping baby, so don't tell me I should wake her up in the morning nap :-\ :-\ :-\

Offline lily_layne

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2015, 19:27:47 pm »
It sounds like she's in the early stages of the 2-1. How are her nights after days when she just does one long morning nap? Do you try for a late pm cat nap at all?
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline sszskristy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2015, 12:38:15 pm »
hi Hun I have to come back to u because we did NF for the last 2 nights just after I told u we wouldn't do that...Jesus...so here is the thing, her normal milk intake is like 20oz, not much but not bad. But for the last 2 days, her milk intake has dropped to about 17oz. On Sunday night, she had a leaking nappy and woke up. We changed her happy and clothes and then she couldn't go back to deep sleep again, she definitely looked hungry to me, plus her milk intake dropped in daytime. I gave her 2oz and she slep until 7. And today, she woke up in the early morning, 4:30am. I think it is mainly because of cold, it suddenly started to rain in the midnight and she was just in a thin sleeping bag. Her neck was cold. And again it is like she woke up for some reasons and couldn't go back to sleep because of hunger. I gave her 2oz again. She went back to sleep very soon.

Today, she just had 16oz so I have no choice but pick up the DF. I gave her 3oz at 10pm. I don't know if I am doing the right thing, some advice please. PS: she had more solids than before,just keep opening mouth and want her food.

And about the nap transition, we still had one long morning nap for the last 2 days. And she looks like fine. She is full of energy in the afternoon and no drama at bedtime.

Offline lily_layne

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2015, 20:16:17 pm »
I would try to increase her milk/food during the day if you can. Feed her as much as she wants. High protein and high fat foods are great during a growth spurt. Avocado and white beans are a huge hit here. I would also offer milk a little more often during the day during this growth spurt.

The extra NWs may be a result of adjusting to 1 nap and it's just that milk might help her feel comfortable and sleepy not that she's really hungry, yk?

With sleeping, if she's in a good mood and BT is good, I would carry on. She may need a CN in the afternoon every few days to keep from getting OT. Sometimes a car ride or walk in the stroller can be a good way to encourage a CN.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014