Author Topic: Is a 30-35 minute nap UT or OT?  (Read 1048 times)

Offline ecwinters

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: October 07, 2015, 12:25:46 pm »
Just have a quick question - I've recently started getting horrible 30-35 minute naps in the morning from my DS (6 and a half months).  Usually his short naps will be 40 minutes spot on but he was getting so much better at longer naps.  He was doing 2 hours 40 minutes A time in the morning, which worked really well for a week or so and then it all changed.  He did a 30-35 minute nap so I put him down 10 minutes earlier the following day - same result.  Today, I put him down 10 minutes earlier than that (so he was asleep after 2 hours and 20 minutes A time) - same result!!  He will stir at the 30 minute mark, briefly resettle, but then wake up.  I thought this must be OT but having got the same result with 20 minutes LESS A time, I'm not so sure.  If anyone has any thoughts I'd be really grateful.  He always wakes early(ish) in the mornings so I calculate A time from his get up time, but I've always done this so nothing has changed.  His nights are poor at the moment (on my other thread!) but I'm reluctant to cut the morning A time even more as I've read this makes EWUs even worse!  Thanks so much. 

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: Is a 30-35 minute nap UT or OT?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 19:58:37 pm »
Hi, just posted on your other thread, will just quickly answer this here since it can be a stand alone question, then best to keep everything on one thread so you've got all your relevant advice in one spot :)

These can be UT as well, just depends on the LO's own sleep cycle length. At this age, I'd say 2:40 is not enough and I'd be lengthening. I note he *can* do 3hr fairly comfortably and frankly that's where I'd be moving to in your shoes both to get your day closer to BT without resorting to a CN and to discourage the EWs.

Offline ecwinters

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 12:29:23 pm »
Thanks.  Yes, I was going for UT too but it's quite tricky to tell.  I am trying as hard as possible to stretch his A time - it's quite hard though as his nights are so bad and he starts the day off tired!  His A time in the morning is now back at 2:40 and so I will try and just add 5 minutes a day until we are at 3 hours.  Hopefully this will help his nights too.  Thanks.