Author Topic: 4.5 mo old turned snacker - help!  (Read 1518 times)

Offline Jouena

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
    • Home that we Built
4.5 mo old turned snacker - help!
« on: November 24, 2015, 21:02:34 pm »
Hello,
My baby is 4.5 month old, first tooth appeared a month ago and he has been teething on and off since.
About a month ago his feeds shortened to 10 min per breast, then 7-8 mins, then 5 last week. Last 2 days he is a snacker - eats for about 3 - 5 min max, does not empty the breast and is hungry every 2:15-2:30 hours. 
This affects sleep - he is back to 45 min naps. He is also quite cranky during A time which is unusual for him.
I see a bunch of issues but I don't know how to tackle them in a reasonable manner. I want to end up with 4 hour EASY.
Would appreciate any advice!
Thank you :)   
Jouena

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: 4.5 mo old turned snacker - help!
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 02:47:01 am »
Many ebf babies don't make the 4 hr feed time at this age. Mine did not until 6 months really with solids in to break it up. We did top up feeds so that they weren't not napping due to hunger (but not feeding to sleep). This was also the age we needed to really up A time once the 45 min naps hit. Feeds can also get way more efficient too - though the crankiness makes me wonder - growth spurt? Teeth? Or tired?
Heidi

Offline Jouena

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
    • Home that we Built
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 20:10:19 pm »
Hello Heidi,
It sounds like you have actually been there :)
Teeth - for sure. First teeth appeared when he was 3.5 month old and since then we have had a couple really tough days. Growth spurt - a developmental spurt rather. OT - perhaps, OS most definitely. He is very actively trying to crawl, not satisfied with simply laying on his tummy anymore, learning to sit by pulling himself up at every occasion - sure all this keeps his mind buzzing making it hard to sleep.
Yes, must up A time is what I realised past weekend. He was happy with 1:15-1:30 for over a month. Now it's min 1:45, but 2h is a bit of a stretch.
He is a VERY efficient eater, too. Empties a breast in 8 min.       
    The fact that many babies don't make 4h feed at this age is an unpleasant surprise. How could I know, when it's in the books?! So, i'm torturing the baby and myself when this is not even a common thing :( Thank you for telling me! It relieved a lot of pressure! At least his feeds are OK :)
    It might be too early to tell, but his "snaking" might have been an exception to which I overreacted,  rather than a new habit. I will observe him today to make sure, but last afternoon and this morning he was doing 3.5-4 h feeds like usual.
   Thank you so much for your insight - it brightened my day, it really did!
Jouena

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 22:54:34 pm »
Oh no hon you aren't torturing him! It is just that the books were never updated and bf advice has changed a lot since then. I feel that if Tracy were she would have updated this info to be in line with what is now known. I bet it was a gs if he has gone back to longer feed times!
Heidi