Author Topic: 2-1 transition help with 1 year old  (Read 31053 times)

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #225 on: September 27, 2016, 09:26:56 am »
Yeah I agree. I think you need to save those 2 naps days for occasionally needing to lengthen the day.

I would work away establishing a consistent routine with set nap and set bedtime xx

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
Re: 2-1 transition help with 1 year old
« Reply #226 on: September 27, 2016, 11:46:42 am »
So I'm not sure if my A times are off on one nap days. It seems on one nap days I'm getting earlier wake ups  ???

Yesterday:

WU 7:27
S 12:41-2:41 pm (A 5:14; drifted easily)
BT 8:08 pm (5:27; took between 20-30 minutes to fall asleep)

NW stirred at 10:30; woke at 12:15; 4 am

Up at 6:40am

The strange thing is that on 2 nap days I get an almost 12 hour night which never happened before. I mean it's good bc it brings wake up back to where it needs to be but the I do a one nap day and I'm back to a EMW that I can't resettle.

Not sure if I should push him to one nap today or do a 2 nap day to lengthen the day. Not sure if this is OT or UT behavior. I'm caught in a cycle of 1 and 2 nap days again  ::)
Jennifer xx

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #227 on: September 27, 2016, 14:41:09 pm »
Have you set the nap and bedtime?  So is nap always at 12.40?   With set times you need to forget about A times for a while and just work off a set routine. That's what will help the wake up settle I'd think.

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #228 on: September 28, 2016, 01:39:06 am »
Yes ideally I want this type of routine since he may start daycare soon:

WU 7:30 am
S 12:30-2:30 pm
BT 7:30 pm

Do you think with this he won't be UT after a 2 hour nap? Perhaps he was OT.

Who knows anymore but it's true when I was consistent I saw improvements but then it went array when molars started.

If he wakes early though I'm not sure whether to push through or give a 2 nap day.
Jennifer xx

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #229 on: September 28, 2016, 06:48:31 am »
I think for 7-10 days you need to forget about OT or UT and just establish the routine yk? If he wakes early Id resettle for as long as possible then keep the nap the same. I wouldnt change things by more than 15 mins give or take.

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #230 on: September 28, 2016, 12:14:36 pm »
Ok I'm scared lol but seriously I will give it a go as I'm so confused with his sleeping patterns I need to know what's what. I know his molars are something I can't control but I can definitely help with a more established routine.
Jennifer xx

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #231 on: September 28, 2016, 12:29:45 pm »
Lol. I just think it to this point swapping and changing and guessing isn't really helping as he's still NW etc. Sometimes a set day just helps them adjust. Let's see how the first couple of days go xx

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #232 on: September 29, 2016, 08:42:36 am »
Very true! It's exhausting doing the guesswork. So he woke with a cold which now he's congested; something to add to the mixed bag of stuff going on with him lol

Today he only took an hour nap and then I just pushed to 7:30; got some OT wakings including an hour long one.

Question: how much do I push with him having a cold? Or do I just go with his cues for a few days.

FTM so I feel like I'm stepping on eggshells with well everything!
Jennifer xx

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #233 on: September 29, 2016, 18:11:58 pm »
With a cold unless he's a bad temp id just get on with things.  Really once the cold is done the teeth will be moving so as long as he's not very ill Id just push on. I'm presuming by cold you mean a runny or stuffy nose??

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #234 on: September 30, 2016, 11:12:51 am »
Hi shiv

Would you still push if he went to bed at 9 and woke at 6:30 (he tossed and turned for an hour before getting up). Turns out he has 5 teeth trying to come through. I reupped last night at 1! Maybe meds ran out maybe it's bc I did 2 naps and made the mistake of allowing him to sleep. Smh. This was after I saw your post  :-\

Yesterday:
WU 6:55
S 10:30-11:30
S 3:30-4:45 pm
BT 9 pm (tried since 8:30)

Is this UT? Or OT? In any case so u just push to say 12:15?
Jennifer xx

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #235 on: October 03, 2016, 20:27:12 pm »
I'm so so sorry. I was just coming on to message and see how things were going and my post isn't here. I did reply the other day.

How have things been?

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #236 on: October 04, 2016, 09:46:49 am »
He's horribly OT. Restless nights and today he woke up at 4:15 am! It's almost 6 here and he still hasn't gone back to sleep.

He's been fighting naps and sleep. I tried one nap days two days in a row. The first day only an hour of sleep then I stuck to the designated bedtime. He had 4 shortNW but was up at 7:45 which I thought ok great we can stick to the one nap. So then yesterday he did 2 hours after a 5.5 A (we got home later than expected) but fought bedtime  until an A 0f 5.5. I know it was OT bc he was jolting a lot and stirred at the 1 hr mark. I don't know what to do  :'(

It has to be a 2 nap day now if he doesn't go back to sleep. I don't even know how to approach this to fix some of the OT. I know I'm supposed to stick with the 1 nap but 4:15- 12:30 is a very long A and won't that make his OT worse?

These teeth are slowly killing me with sleep deprivation  :'(
Jennifer xx

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #237 on: October 05, 2016, 10:16:19 am »
What did you end up doing? To be honest I've never seen such distruption with teeth.

I think when you're sticking a plan  It is really important to give it a fair run consistently. I know it's hard but doing that 5.5 A time was probably too much on day 2 yk?

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #238 on: October 05, 2016, 12:59:29 pm »
Well thankfully my husband stepped in and helped him resettle so he slept an additional 2 hours bringing his wake up time to 8ish. We did a one nap day which was in the car since we were out. Bedtime I managed to put him down by 7:30 (A 5 hrs).

He had a long waking where we gave him Motrin from 3-4. In addition to stirrings through the night.

I definitely think it's teeth  and accumulated OT. He's always been a sensitive teether and he's getting 5 at the same time. Teething does make him more tired but he never really necessarily took in more sleep. So I expect a little OT with teething in general. But I also think longer A times (more than 5 hours) and trying to lengthen days with two naps have landed me in chronic OT land. So basically it's clawing our way back in tackling the OT built up.

I need to be consistent. I definitely agree that 5.5A is way too long for him. I was trying to stick with set times but maybe I should go by A times for now?

It's been hard bc we have been touring a lot of daycares lately in addition to regular errands so we have been on the go a lot in the last two weeks. So I know it is the inconsistency that's really getting him.
Jennifer xx

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #239 on: October 07, 2016, 09:34:41 am »
I'm having a really hard time with one nap.

I'm still getting long NW 1-2 hrs not playful but not crying. I'm at my wits end. It's something with one nap. Looking back at my records, on one nap days I have the wakings that last. I don't get it. Even on 5 hr A times before and after the nap, I still get them.

Maybe I need anEBT for awhile?

I'm at a lost. Should I start a new thread. Maybe there's someone who has been through this?

Before the teeth we were fine on one nap where nights were drastically improving now he's just a terrible sleeper. Is it a skeeo regression?
Jennifer xx