Author Topic: Moving Breastfed 9m old to own room HELP!!  (Read 791 times)

Offline StaceyandBeau

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Moving Breastfed 9m old to own room HELP!!
« on: July 28, 2016, 20:21:12 pm »
Hi everyone

My daughter is 9 (almost 10) months old. To date, she has been sleeping with me whether it has been in a bedside crib or eventually into my bed as she outgrew that. Still breastfed so it's always been easier to keep her in with me until she started crawling about my bed & it has become dangerous, more so than before!! 

She has no dummy, is boob fed to sleep most of the time. Hasn't settled herself since she was tiny.
Has a comforter, which doesn't bring much comfort!! Iv been forcing it on her since birth but she throws it! 😂

Routines are few and far between, I notice patterns then everything changes.

Wake between 6:30 and 8 in the mornings.
Sometimes she wants to sleep 1.5hrs after waking, sometimes 3hours.
Sleeps for 20 mins, 45 mins or for an hour or so. Never consistent.
Will manage 1 nap a day - 2 if we have a 'normal' day indoors. Otherwise may fall asleep in the car.
Bedtime is between 6:30 and 8 depending on what has happened in the day.
Bath, boob and she falls asleep on boob. I'm putting her in cot asleep, I do try and rouse her but sometimes is so tired she won't wake at all.
Then she will wake everything 40 mins for a bit. Il usually get a couple of hours sleep out of her following that, and she then is awake every hour or so through the night. Not hungry, not always for breast sometimes turns away.
Needless to say o don't sleep, I'm back to work and have a home business to run....not fun times I tell you!!

Her eating routine is obviously absolutely screwed too! 

So basically can someone help sort us out?? Point me in right direction? Help me get my life back?! 😞

Tonight's bedtime was her being too full up to fall asleep on boob, so put her in cot awake. She won't lay down. She stood there screaming and I just stared at her. I have No idea what to do!! So confused by it all xx

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Moving Breastfed 9m old to own room HELP!!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 09:06:18 am »
Hi and hugs!

So a few issues but not insurmountable :)  Looks to me like you need to establish a bit more of a consistent routine that is appropriate for her age (likely a two nap routine) and then work on breaking the feed to sleep prop.  You could do everything all at once but I wonder whether perhaps you could devote a few days to really establishing a good routine and then once it is established work on independent sleep?

There are some sample routines here: Sample EASY Routines from 0 - 13mths+

Typical A time at this sort of age is in the 3-4h range.  I would suggest picking a time to start your day and waking her consistently at that time.  Ideally leaving her in bed until then if she wakes early, though as EASY is a routine, not a schedule, you can have a little bit of leeway if needed once the routine is properly established.  So say 7am is reasonable, I'd aim for

WU 7am
Nap 10am, lets say for an hour or so
Nap 2pm hopefully a bit longer
BT 7ish

And stick with that fairly rigidly for a good few days, preferably a week to see if you can get her body clock set. 

For breaking the feed to sleep prop there are a couple of options depending on how much time you have and whether you are more of a gently gently person or a rip the bandage off type!  I'll put a couple of links here for you to have a think about:

Gentle Removal Plan
Pick Up/Put Down (PU/PD) - Everything you ever needed to know!
Teaching Sleep to Babies over 6 months old

Let me know what you think x

Offline StaceyandBeau

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 19:04:19 pm »
Hiya.

So tonight, just like the last few, she hasn't fallen asleep on the breast. She is incredibly awake and in her cot. I'm staring at her. I have ABSOLUTELY no Idea what to do now.
She isn't interested in feeding anymore obv full up.

Iv read what you've written above, thank you. I will reply back on that later on. Xx

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 18:46:54 pm »
Any further thoughts?  How did she eventually settle if not on the breast?