Author Topic: Seperation Anxiety - what can I do to help my toddler overcome this?  (Read 2771 times)

Offline Anders45

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
I have twin toddlers 20 mo. The one has seperation anxiety and it drives me nuts. I'll walk out of his line of sight for a second and he'll freak out one time and the next he's fine. I have been telling him when I leave the room and that I'll be back so he learns to trust me, but it doesn't seem to be working ( though he freaks out more if I don't tell him I'm leaving). He used to be really good and play at other's houses without me when I had appointments to go to, but now he gets really moody and gets upset really easily when I leave him at the sitters (same place since he was an infant). He does tend to get more upset about my leaving if he is tired, or hungry, or there are lots of kids making lots of noise. If it's just him and his brother and he is entertained then he does fine for the first hour until he realizes I am gone. I'm just not sure what to do for him... Thoughts?

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: Seperation Anxiety - what can I do to help my toddler overcome this?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 04:16:48 am »
A lot of it really is the age -- have you seen this post Cycle of Activity-Help Build Independent Playtime -- it has some good tips for increasing independent play time.  Really you can just help to continue to reassure that you'll come back -- all of mine did go through it and it does get better but takes some time to do so.